The Saga of DeMarcus Cousins

The sad thing is, the NBA execs and Adam Silver just don’t realize the problem they have. The league is an embarrassment. Free agency has ruined the league.

While that possibility was always there the past 25 years, it didn’t happen like this because the majority of the older generation star players had more pride than this current generation. The players of today are from an instant gratification, it’s all about me era. Worst of all, they don’t care about earning anything. It’s all about shortcuts.

As far as Boogie is concerned, I get that his options dried up and that his agent surely coached him to go to GSW and drive his price up for next season. But he could have done that in Boston w/o completely selling out. I’m so very disappointed in him. I’m gonna take him to task over this decision just as I did KD.

Both are absolute sissies IMO. No guts at all.

maybe all these teams who were building "competitors" (lakers, pels, etc..) passed on him, so he said ok, none of you are winning next year (not that they were..). once Randle signed i think that was it ( I think that happened first)...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If or when he gets his legs under him it’s going to be a guessing game of who of the 4 will score 30 tonight.

Curry or Thompson with boogie on the pick and roll will be very interesting. I really don’t think we have any idea how devastating that would be. Just WOW!
The Boogie-KD pick and roll will be unguardable much as the Boogie-AD one was. Insane.

So what if I wonder what the guy is thinking now that his favorite basketball player turned out to be a weak stomached chump?
I'm guessing he just shakes his head and either rationalizes it or picks a new team/hobby? His forte is more about winning an argument than what the argument is actually over.

Incidentally this is why I think any one hoping for some happy reckoning is going to be sorely disappointed. This ain't gonna be like going to the high school reunion and finding out the star quarterback never left town and is a drunk who can't hold down a job.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The sad thing is, the NBA execs and Adam Silver just don’t realize the problem they have. The league is an embarrassment. Free agency has ruined the league.

While that possibility was always there the past 25 years, it didn’t happen like this because the majority of the older generation star players had more pride than this current generation. The players of today are from an instant gratification, it’s all about me era. Worst of all, they don’t care about earning anything. It’s all about shortcuts.

As far as Boogie is concerned, I get that his options dried up and that his agent surely coached him to go to GSW and drive his price up for next season. But he could have done that in Boston w/o completely selling out. I’m so very disappointed in him. I’m gonna take him to task I’ve this decision just as I did KD.

Both are absolute sissies IMO. No guts at all.
If Boston wanted Boogie, they would have acquired him at this point.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
As far as Boogie is concerned, I get that his options dried up and that his agent surely coached him to go to GSW and drive his price up for next season. But he could have done that in Boston w/o completely selling out.
Meh. Nuts to that.

I mean, I'm not going to sit here and argue that he didn't sell out, 'cause I kinda think he did, but I refuse to entertain the notion that there's a definition of "selling out" that applies to Cousins signing with the Warriors that would not have applied equally to him signing with the Celtics.

Also, as I've gotten older (and, as I no longer actively root for any team in particular), my opinion of the practice of "selling out" has re-calibrated.

I’m so very disappointed in him. I’m gonna take him to task over this decision just as I did KD.
You and Stugotz, huh?

People assume DeMarcus will be 100% or close to it. I think that's being overly optimistic given his weight. Granted the Warriors don't even need him. So it's a very low risk proposition from their end.

From a psychological perspective how will he handle being the 4th or 5th option? That's a lot of egos to juggle...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm also curious to see how the media's Number Two Cousins Hater (I think we all know who Number One is) and thinly-veiled Warriors fan Zach Lowe is going to consume this upcoming season? Is he going to roll with the "Warriors won in spite of him" line, or is he going to flip it all the way up and say that he's a winner now?

Oh well, at least we know that Number One won't be changing his tune... how "fortunate" for the Kings fans who "get" to listen to him.

Meh. Nuts to that.

I mean, I'm not going to sit here and argue that he didn't sell out, 'cause I kinda think he did, but I refuse to entertain the notion that there's a definition of "selling out" that applies to Cousins signing with the Warriors that would not have applied equally to him signing with the Celtics.
Oh BS.

One team has won 3 titles in the past 4 seasons, including last June, and the other hasn’t won anything with the current roster.

Joining that team (or any other team) and beating the overwhelming favorites means a lot more than winning a title on a team that has been winning multiple titles w/o you.

I don’t understand how some of you out there can’t understand that. There’s a night and day difference and if you don’t see it there’s really nothing else to say.

If anybody would be backing Cousins, it’d be me. But this isn’t defendable. He’s sold out in more than one way. As a competitor, there’s no satisfaction or pride to be gained in gravy-training a title on a team that won 3 titles w/o you and likely was gonna win this year w/o you too.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
From a psychological perspective how will he handle being the 4th or 5th option? That's a lot of egos to juggle...
It's a fair question. It's just as likely that he just wanted to make sure that he got paid while he rehabbed, and thought, "might as well get a ring out of the deal, while I'm at it."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
People assume DeMarcus will be 100% or close to it. I think that's being overly optimistic given his weight. Granted the Warriors don't even need him. So it's a very low risk proposition from their end.

Very valid point, and makes me wonder just how much rehab he still has yet to do and why he chose to accept an offer that would so clearly paint him as a ring chaser.

Even if he's 50% of what he was he's still a top 5 C in the NBA on paper this is the best roster ever made, it's a All-Star starting 5, I was fiercely anti-Cousins but at least he showed he actually wants to win rather than put up empty stats like he did in Sacramento. Talk Loyalty all you want but winning >>>loyalty all day.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Joining that team (or any other team) and beating the overwhelming favorites means a lot more than winning a title on a team that has been winning multiple titles w/o you.
No, it doesn't. Not unless you're actually a difference maker, in the way that Moses Malone was when he went to the Sixers. Cousins wouldn't have been that in Boston, so it's a difference that lacks a distinction.

Besides which, didn't Stevens say, in so many words, that he has no interest in coaching Cousins, back around the 2017 trade deadline? Why would he want to go there?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Some of you need to get over your fixation with Bricklayer. He's gone, he hasn't posted anything here OR at PelicansReport in a long time and I doubt if he'll follow Boogie to GSW considering his disdain for their front office.

Bottom line? Sniping at him or berating him at this point is a textbook example of beating a dead horse.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Even if he's 50% of what he was he's still a top 5 C in the NBA on paper this is the best roster ever made, it's a All-Star starting 5, I was fiercely anti-Cousins but at least he showed he actually wants to win rather than put up empty stats like he did in Sacramento. Talk Loyalty all you want but winning >>>loyalty all day.
It might just be me, but I feel like, once you get traded from a team that you didn't want to leave, nobody should ever get to question your loyalty, or your "heart."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Couple reports that New Orleans didn't offer him a contract and now one that they were looking to S&T to Portland. I guess they moved on.
There's a 10 + page thread at PelicansReport that I linked to above. There may be more information there.

So you believe Rudy and Cuz have the same value? Cuz carries 10x more value to a team than Rudy but if you’re ok thinking Rudy = Cuz then I don’t know what to tell you.

Ultimately Cuz has the right to play where he wants, that’s why it’s called “free agency” but don’t try and defend this deal and say that’s all that was out there. I don’t believe that for a second.

As far as me being “happy?” No, I’m not happy. I’m not mad at Cuz. As I said before, he has the right to play where he wants for how much he wants. I’m not happy for the NBA and competitive balance.
I never said they are the same player. You brought up Rudy Gays Achilles and pay. I was pointing out the difference. I also never stated that this was the only deal. Maybe you need to read who you are quoting before you start arguing points that were never made.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I won't burn my Cousins jersey but he is now officially dead to me. I did not see this coming. There is no way in hell I can root for him as long as he's in that uniform. This is not a good day for VF21. :(
Boogie didn't betray Sacramento, he was blind-sided with a trade while he was representing the Kings at the All-Star game. Have you already forgotten how he cried when he had to say goodbye to everyone and then Vlade sat up there at a press conference and said the team was better off without him? If this is a giant middle finger to the Kings front office, good! They deserve it. Just don't forget that Boogie wanted to be here and we told him we didn't want him. Well we didn't, but our team did.

I'll always be a Boogie fan because he's an authentic a human being -- that is to say he doesn't pretend to be anything other than who he is. Some people find that off-putting but I think it's unfair to tell people to be themselves and then get all high and mighty when someone actually wears their emotions on their sleeves instead of politely doing what they're told all the time. The league may be a farce at this point as far as competition is concerned but should we, as Kings fans, really be all that concerned about who is or is not in playoff contention? We haven't been in that conversation for over 15 years anyway. I don't care all that much who wins the title if it's not Sacramento and seeing Boogie get a ring would at least bring me a bit of happiness, whichever jersey he's got on at the time.

It might just be me, but I feel like, once you get traded from a team that you didn't want to leave, nobody should ever get to question your loyalty, or your "heart."
I questioned if he wanted to win but signing with the Warriors answered he's really desperate and after 8 seasons of no playoffs he's earned the right to join whoever he wants honestly great move for him to join a winner for 1 year get healthy and get another massive payday, well played big Cuz.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Boogie didn't betray Sacramento, he was blind-sided with a trade while he was representing the Kings at the All-Star game. Have you already forgotten how he cried when he had to say goodbye to everyone and then Vlade sat up there at a press conference and said the team was better off without him? If this is a giant middle finger to the Kings front office, good! They deserve it. Just don't forget that Boogie wanted to be here and we told him we didn't want him. Well we didn't, but our team did.

I'll always be a Boogie fan because he's an authentic a human being -- that is to say he doesn't pretend to be anything other than who he is. Some people find that off-putting but I think it's unfair to tell people to be themselves and then get all high and mighty when someone actually wears their emotions on their sleeves instead of politely doing what they're told all the time. The league may be a farce at this point as far as competition is concerned but should we, as Kings fans, really be all that concerned about who is or is not in playoff contention? We haven't been in that conversation for over 15 years anyway. I don't care all that much who wins the title if it's not Sacramento and seeing Boogie get a ring would at least bring me a bit of happiness, whichever jersey he's got on at the time.
And what's your point? I'm sorry but I personally cannot root for him while he wears that jersey.

I'd like to think that maybe he wanted to be close to his home in Sacramento and that's why he chose the Warriors.

I also like that no way would he S&T to Portland. Not that I wouldn't root for him here but he owned Portland so many times it would be weird.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'd like to think that maybe he wanted to be close to his home in Sacramento and that's why he chose the Warriors.

I also like that no way would he S&T to Portland. Not that I wouldn't root for him here but he owned Portland so many times it would be weird.
Maybe he vetoed it because he doesn't want to be on the same team as Myers Lemon?

I'm just happy he narrowed it down to gs and Boston. It's prob not true but in my mind his loyalty to Sacramento was crossing the Lakers off the list even tho he would want to play with LeBron. My hate for the Lakers supersedes any other team.