Trading for Cleveland's #8

In the scenario where PHX selects Luka Dončić and the Kings then select DeAndre Ayton, what do you think of the possibility of making a trade to pry Cleveland's #8 away from them?

Would Cleveland be willing to trade #8? Perhaps not --- especially if LeBron leaves as many expect. However if LeBron remains in Cleveland and they are interested in immediate help over a rookie, what would it take to get it done and would you do it?

#8 is a valuable pick, especially in this draft, but it isn't that valuable. After all it's not a top 3 pick. The Kings just might have the goods to obtain it without parting with a player they don't really want to part with such as Bogdanović, Fox, Giles or Hield.

And with that pick they could then select a SF such as Porter Jr. or Mikal Bridges.

Just an idea.

We’re not getting that pick without giving up Fox
I don't agree, but assume for a minute that you're right --- would you do that?

I wouldn't.

But if they could land it for some combination of WCS, Skal, JJ, Temple, Koufos, or Frank Mason (not all those players but 2-3 of them) I'd certainly consider it IF the SF I wanted was still on the board when #8 is on the clock.

Z-Bo + WCS for 8th and Tristan.

Z-Bo an expiring and could actually be good next to Lebron should he stay. Willie + Nance would be a super fun athletic second unit big lineup. We'd get saddled with Tristan's contract and having to deal with Kardashian attention going forward.
I like the creativity. But you didn't state who you'd have the Kings select with the newly acquired pick. Who do you like for them at that spot?

I really, really like Mikal Bridges.

We'd get saddled with Tristan's contract and having to deal with Kardashian attention going forward.
Which are the exact two reasons I wouldn't trade for Tristan Thompson, nor would I want him and/or his drama anywhere near the young Kings.
And for whatever it's worth - I think the feeling is mutual (i.e. TT wants nothing to do with Sac).

I am of the opinion that we simply have no assets - that we are willing to trade - to get another top 10 pick.
We are in a rebuild that should not be disrupted with an albatross contract which will hinder our flexibility.
And I sincerely hope Vlade does not trade down!

I don't see any incentive from Cleveland to trade with us. Cleveland will likely do one of two things this year:
  1. If LeBron resigns, they'll try to use #8 in a trade to acquire a player that can help them win now.
  2. If LeBron leaves, they will use the pick in an effort towards their rebuild.
In the first scenario, the Kings do not have anyone on the roster that is of equal value to the pick AND moves the needle to help them win.
In the second scenario, Cleveland is likely not even looking to move the pick in the first place.

Since we don't have a player to help them win now, we would also look into the idea of helping them clear cap space so they could then sign a player that could help the win now. Unfortunately, the Cavs are about $5 mil over the cap without factoring in LeBron's new contract or Rodney Hood's QO. The Cavs would have to clear $70 mil in contracts to be able to sign another max player. The Kings will likely have around $19 mil in cap space this year. There's no way we can take back enough salary that it would actually help their cause.

Which are the exact two reasons I wouldn't trade for Tristan Thompson, nor would I want him and/or his drama anywhere near the young Kings.
And for whatever it's worth - I think the feeling is mutual (i.e. TT wants nothing to do with Sac).
So buy him out. You're doing it for the pick, and so you just write TT's salary off as the cost of doing business. If we get Ayton and a SF we like is sitting there why not? I'd prefer we make a move for an established vet but failing that it's certainly an option.

Z-Bo an expiring and could actually be good next to Lebron should he stay. Willie + Nance would be a super fun athletic second unit big lineup. We'd get saddled with Tristan's contract and having to deal with Kardashian attention going forward.
I don't agree, but assume for a minute that you're right --- would you do that?

I wouldn't.

But if they could land it for some combination of WCS, Skal, JJ, Temple, Koufos, or Frank Mason (not all those players but 2-3 of them) I'd certainly consider it IF the SF I wanted was still on the board when #8 is on the clock.
These insulting trades get Vlade blacklisted

They need star power when Lebron leaves they could sell that so g the 8 pick not this silly wcs stuff. Lebron stays they make a move for Kemba just stop with this

I don't know if it was based on anything but I was reading an article about the Mavericks dealing for the 76ers 10th pick by taking on Bayless' salary so the Sixers can open up cap space to try and sign Lebron.

Could be a potential move by the Kings. Instead of signing a FA, use the cap space + possibly WCS to land another pick. Landing Doncic and then coming out with say Miles Bridges as a stretch 4. A Fox/Bogie/Doncic/Bridges/Giles unit could be exciting a couple years from now. A nice mix of skill and athleticism.

I don't see any incentive from Cleveland to trade with us. Cleveland will likely do one of two things this year:
  1. If LeBron resigns, they'll try to use #8 in a trade to acquire a player that can help them win now.
  2. If LeBron leaves, they will use the pick in an effort towards their rebuild.
In the first scenario, the Kings do not have anyone on the roster that is of equal value to the pick AND moves the needle to help them win.
In the second scenario, Cleveland is likely not even looking to move the pick in the first place.

Since we don't have a player to help them win now, we would also look into the idea of helping them clear cap space so they could then sign a player that could help the win now. Unfortunately, the Cavs are about $5 mil over the cap without factoring in LeBron's new contract or Rodney Hood's QO. The Cavs would have to clear $70 mil in contracts to be able to sign another max player. The Kings will likely have around $19 mil in cap space this year. There's no way we can take back enough salary that it would actually help their cause.
Too bad the draft is before FA. They wont know about LBJ till after the draft.

WCS and top3 protected 2021 pick for the #8. Draft Mikal Bridges.

If the Kings are in the lotto in 2021 then it's been a disastrous 3 years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At some point, we need to get realistic about going with what we have. I think we're gonna be pretty close once either Doncic or Ayton is in our lineup. I don't see any real scenario where Vlade would be willing to give up what it would take to get another single digit pick - and I don't think I want him to. I want us to build on what we started this year, especially since we have so much potential. Let's see what we have before we trade any other assets away, especially for a question mark.

No more trading for draft picks. Let's pick up our cards and play our hand.

At some point, we need to get realistic about going with what we have. I think we're gonna be pretty close once either Doncic or Ayton is in our lineup. I don't see any real scenario where Vlade would be willing to give up what it would take to get another single digit pick - and I don't think I want him to. I want us to build on what we started this year, especially since we have so much potential. Let's see what we have before we trade any other assets away, especially for a question mark.

If it's Ayton I feel like we almost have to move Willie or Skal unless someone really wants Z-Bo or Koufos (who I see more as trade deadline fodder). I'd rather exchange in a package for a 3-4 year vet but if it was for either Bridges I'd be ok with that call.

The only Cavs trade we have is when/if Lebron leaves than after free agency we trade for Kevin Love

WCS/Skal/JJ-ZBo
For
Love/Thompson

Fox-Mason
Bogdan-Buddy
Hezonja
Love-
Ayton-Giles

agreed. we get a year of play with our 2nd pick, Giles, and the other young guys to see what is what and who we can count on. Even if we make no trades during the season, Zbo, Temple, KK, and Shump come off the books at the end of the year. we will have a good understanding of what we have and bunch of cap space. then we can make the appropriate moves...

You have to have a complete hand, though. And they still have some glaring holes to fill and, depending upon whom they end up with at #2, an imbalanced roster.

They are far from a finished product. You never stop building upon what you have. Look at the Celtics as a prime example. They keep piling up draft picks and they're doing ok. The Kings haven't come close to compiling draft picks yet.

I'm not suggesting that they do that now, but I do think adding another in this draft, if possible, could be a good thing to do.

These insulting trades get Vlade blacklisted

They need star power when Lebron leaves they could sell that so g the 8 pick not this silly wcs stuff. Lebron stays they make a move for Kemba just stop with this
Your snarky response could get you blacklisted. :p

In all seriousness, if you think the Cavs are gonna get the likes of Kemba using #8 you're crazy. The #8 isn't gonna net them a star player.

Furthermore, my suggestion was under the scenario that LeBron would be staying. If they get strong indication he's leaving, I agree that they are unlikely to move the pick. But if they believe he's staying, there will be tremendous pressure to get some players that can help them now rather than a young player that might need a couple seasons to develop.

Players like WCS and Temple could really help them, especially defensively. And Willie could flourish with a play maker like LeBron. It might take a 3rd team to make a trade happen, but it's not a far-fetched idea should LBJ commit to staying the course in Cleveland.

You have to have a complete hand, though. And they still have some glaring holes to fill and, depending upon whom they end up with at #2, an imbalanced roster.

They are far from a finished product. You never stop building upon what you have. Look at the Celtics as a prime example. They keep piling up draft picks and they're doing ok. The Kings haven't come close to compiling draft picks yet.

I'm not suggesting that they do that now, but I do think adding another in this draft, if possible, could be a good thing to do.
Yeah but you gotta spend the time to look at your cards to evaluate what you got. You don't just shuffle them back and forth till you start with good cards like it's a real card game. When the turn hits (we drafted Doncic or Ayton), it might turn the cards in your hand upside down. (With Doncic, you might want to start trying different lineups that involve fast pacing WCS + Giles front court to see if the ball movement will turn them some Capela-esque easy buckets; With Ayton, now he's your center of attention on offense, do you now put a defensive-minded KK next to him? Or try to develop his defense with Giles to space the floor?) Only after then, you'll be able to tell what exactly you are missing.

Patience is a virtue, grasshopper.

(... which also makes me a bad forum guest because I seldom see the point on arguing too far ahead... :p)

Your snarky response could get you blacklisted. :p

In all seriousness, if you think the Cavs are gonna get the likes of Kemba using #8 you're crazy. The #8 isn't gonna net them a star player.

Furthermore, my suggestion was under the scenario that LeBron would be staying. If they get strong indication he's leaving, I agree that they are unlikely to move the pick. But if they believe he's staying, there will be tremendous pressure to get some players that can help them now rather than a young player that might need a couple seasons to develop.

Players like WCS and Temple could really help them, especially defensively. And Willie could flourish with a play maker like LeBron. It might take a 3rd team to make a trade happen, but it's not a far-fetched idea should LBJ commit to staying the course in Cleveland.
Charlotte would be trading Kemba to jumpstart there rebuild. Kemba contract expires at the end of the season

Charlotte would be trading Kemba to jumpstart there rebuild. Kemba contract expires at the end of the season
Hey, if they could pull that off --- I think it'd be great. I'm a huge LBJ fan and would like to see him get a couple more realistic shots at a title (or more). He just doesn't have the right cast around him at the moment. Kemba would certainly lighten the load offensively, but they need a lot of help on the defensive end. I just don't see #8 fetching someone like Kemba on its own.

So buy him out. You're doing it for the pick, and so you just write TT's salary off as the cost of doing business.
Don’t get me wrong, I would love to get that pick.
But spending $36m for a #8 pick is not great business, IMO, even if you call it CODB.
You can get a lot done for that sum.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to get that pick.
But spending $36m for a #8 pick is not great business, IMO, even if you call it CODB.
You can get a lot done for that sum.
For most teams it's not good for business.

But when was the last time the Kings used their money wisely to improve the team? Hill, Sessions, Belinelli....the list goes on and on for a decade. Koufos is the lone non regrettable multi year free agent we've signed since Vlade and BJax.

Rather than wasting money on some sorry washed up player, I'd rather them use the money to get a young prospect that could potentially develop into a really good player.

I feel like we don't need any more prospects beyond the ones we have and our guy at #2. Fox, Mason, Buddy, Bogi, Skal, Giles, #2 pick.... there is already a huge minutes crunch for youth and next year is balls out "win as many as you can".

LeBron is probably going to walk. Miles Bridges and Collin Sexton are nice targets for the Cavs at #8 to start their re-build.

Sexton has Kyrie-like skills to remind them of what they foolishly gave up.

Also consider the Cavs just traded a #1 for Willie-like player in Larry Nance Jr..

Of course I like the idea of dumping both of them but no way would the Cavs have ANY interest in Willie or Z-Bud.

I feel like we don't need any more prospects beyond the ones we have and our guy at #2. Fox, Mason, Buddy, Bogi, Skal, Giles, #2 pick.... there is already a huge minutes crunch for youth and next year is balls out "win as many as you can".
No such thing as too much talent. All of our young guys aren't going to pan out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If it's Ayton I feel like we almost have to move Willie or Skal unless someone really wants Z-Bo or Koufos (who I see more as trade deadline fodder). I'd rather exchange in a package for a 3-4 year vet but if it was for either Bridges I'd be ok with that call.
While I don't necessarily disagree, I question the idea that if we're willing to get rid of WCS or Skal they'll bring valuable assets in return. It seems to be de rigueur around here to assume our disposable assets will be someone else's treasures. If WCS is good enough to bring high value in return, isn't he good enough to keep around? Skal I just don't have much faith in, not because he doesn't have heart but because he just doesn't seem to have an NBA physique.