If we are 9 or 10 do you trade out

At 9-10 the best player available is likely Collin Sexton or Alexander. If we are sitting there and assume the following are gone and Porter returns to school

Ayton
Doncic
Jackson
Bagley
Bamba
Young
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter.

Do you reach for Knox or trade out of the spot with Phoenix for the 15th and 16th pick.?

My choice would be to trade out of the 9-10 spot and take Robert Williams and Isaac Bonga at 15-16

Last edited:
That trade would provide good value, but I don’t think there is any casual fan appetite for another trade back. I think the Kings have to go with Knox at that point and sell him as the exciting young SF prospect.

That trade would provide good value, but I don’t think there is any casual fan appetite for another trade back. I think the Kings have to go with Knox at that point and sell him as the exciting young SF prospect.
Yeah except I’m not sure that Bonga isn’t the better SF prospect. He is raw but supposedly has a good IQ and athleticism. Williams gives us a defensive big we could really use.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Robert Williams might be the guy that climbs at least a bit during the team workouts.......no way he lasts to 18. If that is who we come away with, that isn't so bad.

Robert Williams might be the guy that climbs at least a bit during the team workouts.......no way he lasts to 18. If that is who we come away with, that isn't so bad.
Where did 18 come from. Phoenix has 15-16 and needs a good point guard especially if the get Ayton or Bagley. 9 or 10 for 15-16 seems like good value for both.

I need to read and watch more of Bonga. Is he the next Giannis, or wait a second that's what Toronto tried to sell Bruno as. At this point I will be disappointed if Robert Williams is part of our draft day equation and I hope it does not come down to another trade back. Unless Giles pans last years trade back has still left a bad taste IMO and the year before, well Bogs and Skal are nice pickups but Papa was a waste.
I'm a best player available type, even if its Sexton or Alexander both PG's. Though not a need I still want to see how they look in combines and workouts.
I also will not write Knox off as a bad pick. I'm not sure yet. The kid has legit SF size, and he is young for his class.

About Bonga, he actually plays PG for his German team. At 6'10" and long reach he is listed as a SF coming into the NBA. I still don't have enough to go on but I hope Vlade and crew take a good look. The way he's currently ranked by draft boards he would last until the 2nd round, that should change come workouts.
Alexander is having a very good tourney and should climb. At 6'6" he could play both guard spots. He very well might pass Young and Sexton to be the 1st PG picked this draft. Again, I hope it does not come to this that the BPA is a PG when we pick, but don't be stupid Vlade and trade back when you have a possible Donovan Mitchell scenario slappin you up along side the melon.

Last edited:
I see another of Giannis Ante@#$%^&* younger brothers Kosta is going to test the draft waters this year. Hes a 6'10" forward played some for Dayton. That's all I know for now.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
traded out last year to get Giles & Jackson, enough stockpiling youth, there is plenty of it. Draft where you are slated unless you can make a move to move up, otherwise make your pick and call it a night.

Trade it to another NBA team for a SF. 9-10 pick will just be another role player.
We have enough of those already.

Bagley
Porter
Jackson
Carter

If we can’t get one of those players, trade the pick.

Trade it to another NBA team for a SF. 9-10 pick will just be another role player.
We have enough of those already.

Bagley
Porter
Jackson
Carter

If we can’t get one of those players, trade the pick.
Those are likely all gone at 9-10. What are you going to trade it for? You are not getting a top player for 9/10? You will get another role player. Better to trade down with Phoenix and role the dice with two players in hopes you get lucky with one unless you want to take obvious BPA which will be Alexander, Sexton or Knox.

I would rather roll the dice with Williams and Bonga.

Jontay Porter is another option but I think he’s available at 15-16.
I wouldn't be too sad if we got Jontay in the middle of the first and a top 5 protected first in 2019 or something. I like him as a true stretch 4 option that plays defense
That would be a great return. I have Jontay as a top 10 talent and wouldnt be surprised if he is one of the more winning players out of this draft. His vision and passing are insane for his size and age, and his shot is very quick and repeatable. Markannen was a top7 pick last year and Jontay is arguably way more advanced in reading the game and he averages higher assists, better Ast/To, steals, blocks and rebounds.
Of course Markannen was a better and more versatile shooter with a better track-record but Jontays shot will translate as well. They both have similar questions (strength and quickness) but so far Markannen is one of the best rookies from his class.
Same as for Markannen, the key for Jontay to unlock the most value is how much will he be able to play the 5 in close games and in the playoffs. If you can get away with that you have a big time advantage. But even If he can't do that most of the time, he is still a nice piece as a stretch 4.

Still, I think that the Kings FO has their eyes on Miles Bridges in that scenario. They will love his toughness. I can see the appeal, he would fit really nice next to Justin Jackson on the wing.
His statiscal translation isnt that good but he may bring extra value by allowing for smaller lineups with more shooting and adequate rebounding.

In general I like the "consensus" players in the 7-10 range quite a lot (i.e. Carter, the Bridges' and for me Jontay). There is a lot of value in this range and it wouldnt shock me if some of them end up better picks than guys ranked higher.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If they draft at 10ish or in that range, I would not be surprised to see them try and trade the pick for a vet SF and maybe a lower pick...2nd rounder if SF is good. At some point you have to keep a good mix of vets with the young guys and they may be hell bent on trying to win next year with this group. Adding a rookie at 10 is not going to help us win more than likely.

I don't know who they could target but I'd hope it's someone no older than 26-28.

I don't see any real viable trade options out there.

Probably just going to take Kevin Knox and pray at this point.

Maybe Silver will sneak some extra ping pong balls in the machine since the Kings aren't blatantly tanking like the rest of the lottery teams.

I don't see any real viable trade options out there.

Probably just going to take Kevin Knox and pray at this point.

Maybe Silver will sneak some extra ping pong balls in the machine since the Kings aren't blatantly tanking like the rest of the lottery teams.
Depends if you think Knox is significantly better than the options at 15-16. Personally I might rather have Bonga than Knox and pick up a rebounder in Williams.

It depends on the trade options available. They try to consolidate talent and use the pick along with a young guy or two to upgrade a position or they may sit tight and just take the best guy there. They may see real potential in a guy available and just take him and let him develop. I think it all depends on the deals available and how the FO sees the guys left on the board.

Depends if you think Knox is significantly better than the options at 15-16. Personally I might rather have Bonga than Knox and pick up a rebounder in Williams.
Are you saying that if we wind up with the 9th pick, to trade 9 for the Suns 15 and 16? I don't think Bonga is slated to go until early in the 2nd round so I'm a little fuzzy on the trade proposal.