Vlade Divac - Kings GM AKA 21

Not to single you out Jcassio but using your "quality over quantity" statement who do you pick at #8 in 2016? My point is that it is not easy to predict how players turn out in the NBA. As Vlade demonstrated in 2016 sometimes the best move is to have multiple picks.
That was a weak draft so quantity over quality probably gave you a better chance at landing a player since it doesn't look like very many talented players are going to come out of that draft from 8th on back.

This draft is really strong so you're going to want to go with the best talent you can get at your draft position. The talent drops off quite a bit after the top 10 or so.

The thing is if you look at the draft picks made by Hinkie they were mostly poor choices.

Are you guys not satisfied with the way the team is playing? Do you not see the improvement? The back court of Fox and Bogie is going to be special. Having Mason and Hield coming off the bench is first class depth.

My only fear is that the Young Fellas are going to click together after the All Star break and start winning more games. This is going to drive the Lin crowd crazy. Which will once again be Vlade's fault:)

If you want to see some bad trades look at what Philly did prior to this last draft or what Denver did with pick 14:eek:
Se because someone else made a mistake once, Vlades mistakes doesnt matter? First of all as Im sure you know sixers trade was way worse than Denvers trade down. It was a basic trade down that looks bad because against expectations Michell looks like the best player in the draft. The idea behind our sixers trade was idiotic from the start.

Mistakes happen especially in draft and as I said, all in all Im very happy with Vlades actions in drafts. But mistakes like sixers trade where you lose your 1st rounder for nothing or mishandling the rebuild phase are very costly and imo should be acknowledged. As I said, possibly rookie mistakes but what a shame they had to happen with us

This was a tremendous headfake by Altman. Kudos to him. For 5-6 days, the basketball internet couldn’t stop talking about how stupid a GM would have to be to pay a 1st rounder to the Lakers so they could finally get off Clarkson’s money and make room for Lebron. This man Altman gave the Lakers a 1st, in a Lakers salary dump, so that Lebron can go to LA. What a moron.

And this was after he blew the Kyrie trade, whom he traded for essentially just the Brooklyn pick. Vlade should be embarrassed about PapaG? How about handing your biggest rival the second best player in the conference, and top ten player overall, for a low lottery pick? Altman is in way over his head. Vlade has never made a trade as bad as the Kyrie deal. The Sixers deal was bad, sure, but the Kyrie deal is a supernova of idiocy.

So, Altman throws some red meat to Woj. Well played. Except we know Altman is BSing because for two weeks Lebron’s mouthpiece, Brian Windhorst, couldn’t stop talking about how the Kings and Cavs were looking for a third team to take PapaG and/or Richardson since we didn’t have the roster spots. This man Altman even floated Skal’s name to try to get other teams on the phone. Koby, you played yourself, and Lebron will make you look like an idiot come July.

Woj does hate the Kings, or more specifically, Vlade and Vivek. Woj and Bobby Marks go way back with PDA. He’ll take shots whenever he gets the chance. Of course, the Weasel is doing such a great job in Orando now, too. Anyway, our structure is not unique, as pointed out on another board. If you deal with the Spurs, you negotiate with Buford, who then runs it by president/coach Popovich, and then they get ownership approval. Or T-Wolves...Layden-Thibs-ownership approval. And on down the line. It must be hard negotiating with the Cavs though—work with Altman, who then runs things by Lebron and his people, and then get Gilbert to sign off. What a goat rope.

Last thing, when did it start being OK to make fun of people for their language skills? English is Vlade’s 4th language? 5th? 3rd? I don’t even know. Nor do I care. But this incessent bullying of his language skills, and what they are trying to imply, is really disconcerting and borders on xenophobic. To my knowledge, Vlade is the first European to truly run an NBA team. That should be celebrated, and he brings unique experience and ideas to the job. Instead we get the constant derision. Even Zach Lowe, who claims to spend every summer in Croatia/Serbia and allegedly speaks some Serbian, joins in. One would think a real journalist with knowledge of the area, and maybe the one guy who can have a conversation with Vlade in his native tongue, would make the effort for a really interesting long form piece. I guess Zach is not the journalist he claims to be.
??? That Cavs-Celtics trade was not bad lol. Kyrie was unhappy and they needed to trade him. They got IT(5th running MVP), Jae Crowder(good 3&D), and the Nets pick which will be a top 10 pick. Of course IT and Crowder didn't workout, but look at what the Cavs managed to flip it to:

Jordan Clarkson
Rodney Hood
Larry Nance Jr
George Hill

all for what? Basically IT, Crowder, and Cavs pick. They also managed to dump Shumpert and Frye. They used all the assets they got from the Kyrie trade, but kept the Nets pick which will be a lotto. Not late lotto. Not sure if you're aware of this, but the Nets are 1 game from the #1 pick. They currently stand at #7.

Who's to say Lebron will go to LA in FA? That's a big stretch.....

Vlade is suppose to be team president yes? I have no problem with the delegation of GM duties with Vlade having to give stamp of approval. In fact I like this set up as i can be sure Vlade truly has the Kings best interest at heart and isn't looking to help himself to a spot at a different franchise etc.

For the most part, agree or disagree, at least path Vlade has taken the team has for most part made sense. THATS A STEP UP IN KINGSLAND! I think the boat is clearly gojng in 1 direction now where beforw with Cousins we were going kinda left (long term with Cousins) but left options on the table by not satling us with terrible contracts in a desperate attempt to go all in with Cousins. The early Philly trade and not using our cap space to exchange bad contracts for picks are my criticisms. The Joeger hire was the best vlade move, followed by the phx trade and this years draft looking solid. Not signing ridiculous long contracts like a Barns or Crabbe etc. is another big Vlade positive. Ive been very happy to see the vets that do come in on short deals. Wanted to tank harder this year so wasn't happy to get Hill or ZBo but eh not a big deal. Overall id say he has done a C+ to a B - with potential for growth.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He got the laker’s first with MCW and our first with nothing. That is the negotiation skill we need. I am just afraid of every trade coming out to be fleeced when Vlade is the one in charge
So? Vlade got a first round pick for Marco freaking Bellinelli. Every GM has his good and bad points. For whatever reason, people are completely willing to overlook Hinkie's because he "revolutionized" basketball by apparently inventing the tank (he didn't BTW).

I am by no means a Vlade stan but I feel like he gets more of a bad rap than is probably justifiable because he (a) doesn't speak English like a native speaker and (b) he was around during the glory days and hasn't immediately restored the franchise to that luster in record time.

So? Vlade got a first round pick for Marco freaking Bellinelli. Every GM has his good and bad points. For whatever reason, people are completely willing to overlook Hinkie's because he "revolutionized" basketball by apparently inventing the tank (he didn't BTW).

I am by no means a Vlade stan but I feel like he gets more of a bad rap than is probably justifiable because he (a) doesn't speak English like a native speaker and (b) he was around during the glory days and hasn't immediately restored the franchise to that luster in record time.
Him being a non-native speaker has nothing to do with him being a bad GM. He's made more bad moves than good. In bold are all his poor moves. In green are his good moves. The rest are meh moves.

1. Trade Stauskas+JT+Landry+2016 swap+2017 swap+2019 1st round pick for cap space
2. Signed Rajon Rondo using that cap space

3. Signed Koufos+Belinelli
3. Drafted WCS at #5
4. Signed Seth Curry
------------------------------------
5. Trade #8 pick for 13, 28, and Bogdanovic
6. Drafted Georgios Papagiannis with 13th pick (upsetted our franchise C)
7. Drafted Skal Labissiere with 28th pick
8. Traded Marco Belinelli for 22nd pick

9. Drafted Malachi Richardson with 22nd pick
10. Sign 30yearold Garrett Temple to a 3 year $24million contract
11. Sign 31yearold Arron Affalo to a 2 year $25million (2nd year partially guaranteed)
12. Sign 32yearold Anthony Tolliver to a 2 year $16million (2nd year partially guaranteed)
13. Sign and keep Ty Lawson after numerous character problems
14. Sign 34yearold Matt Barnes to a 2 year $12million despite his poor character

15. Traded DeMarcus Cousins for Buddy Hield, 10th pick, Tyreke Evans, and Langston Galloway
16. Waived Matt Barnes
-----------------------------------
(Kings get the #3 overall pick in the lotto, but Vlade's first trade allowed Philly to swap their 5th pick with us)
17. Drafted DeAaron Fox with the 5th pick
18. Traded #10 pick for 15 and 22
19. Drafted Justin Jackson with 10th pick
20. Drafted Harry Giles with 22nd pick
21. Drafted Frank Mason with the 2nd round pick
22. Sign Bogdanovic to a 3 year $27million
23. Sign 31yearold George Hill to a 3 year $57million contract (3rd year partial guarantee)
24. Sign 36yearold Zach Randolph to a 2 year $24million, and faced no repercussions after getting caught with a lb of weed
25. Sign 40yearold Vince Carter to a 1 year $9million (lol do you think anyone was seriously going to give him more than the vet min?)
26. Pick up Georgios Papagiannis' 3rd year option
27. Traded George Hill for Iman Shumpert and Joe Johnson(cap relief. tried to undo his mistake signing)
28. Traded away Malachi Richardson(former #22 pick) for Bruno Caboclo (giving up on Malachi and basically clearing a roster spot)
29. Waived Georgios Papagiannis(former #13 pick who he called a future All Star)

As you can see...he's had way more bad moves as a GM than good or even average. Vlade gets a bad rep because he hasn't made many good moves. Plus, he publicly admitted that he had better offers out there for Cousins, but he took too long on a deal and ended up getting less for him. Vlade's lack of English has nothing to do with his GM abilities. Communication might be a barrier between him and other FOs, but his actions speak for himself.

Don’t think we can convince each other so no point to continue the Hinkie thing.

As for Vlade, he is just bad, he can survive through the Philly and Boogie trade only because he is Vlade. The thing is people here like to think the media likes to crap on us while ignoring the fact that we did give them bad things to talk about.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Don’t think we can convince each other so no point to continue the Hinkie thing.

As for Vlade, he is just bad, he can survive through the Philly and Boogie trade only because he is Vlade. The thing is people here like to think the media likes to crap on us while ignoring the fact that we did give them bad things to talk about.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Like I said, I am anything but a Vlade fan (check the post-Boogie trade threads if you aren't sure) but pointing at Hinkie fleecing a "bad GM" while willfully ignoring his woefully bad draft record is the same as pointing to Vlade trading the Chriss pick for Bogie as a sign he's a good GM while ignoring the fact he traded Boogie for pennies on the dollar.

One of Woj's methods for accumulating his sources is cozying up to GMs and doing a little tit-for-tat "sources say" goodness. One of his chief assets? The Weasel himself. We cut ties with the Weasel, Woj immediately revs up the good old "Kings suck" engines. It's partly the same reason that he remains largely anti-Lebron (Lebron "scooped" him on the whole Miami move with Woj insisting James was going to Chicago all the way up until his announcement otherwise).

Woj is (or, more accurately, was -before he moved to ESPN) good at breaking player personnel news and trades but as an actually blue blooded reporter, well, let's just say that there are plenty out there who are better than him in that regard. (Bill Simmons sorta fills the opposite end of the spectrum in that he is a fantastic writer and disseminator of information but not exactly who you'd go to to learn more about player moves).

The larger point remains that the Kings can be a dysfunctional franchise and the media can also shine an unfair light on the mess at hand.

Him being a non-native speaker has nothing to do with him being a bad GM. He's made more bad moves than good. In bold are all his poor moves. In green are his good moves. The rest are meh moves.

1. Trade Stauskas+JT+Landry+2016 swap+2017 swap+2019 1st round pick for cap space

3. Drafted WCS at #5
4. Signed Seth Curry

11. Sign 31yearold Arron Affalo to a 2 year $25million (2nd year partially guaranteed)
12. Sign 32yearold Anthony Tolliver to a 2 year $16million (2nd year partially guaranteed)
14. Sign 34yearold Matt Barnes to a 2 year $12million despite his poor character

15. Traded DeMarcus Cousins for Buddy Hield, 10th pick, Tyreke Evans, and Langston Galloway
16. Waived Matt Barnes
(Kings get the #3 overall pick in the lotto, but Vlade's first trade allowed Philly to swap their 5th pick with us)
23. Sign 31yearold George Hill to a 3 year $57million contract (3rd year partial guarantee)
24. Sign 36yearold Zach Randolph to a 2 year $24million, and faced no repercussions after getting caught with a lb of weed
25. Sign 40yearold Vince Carter to a 1 year $9million (lol do you think anyone was seriously going to give him more than the vet min?)
27. Traded George Hill for Iman Shumpert and Joe Johnson(cap relief. tried to undo his mistake signing)
28. Traded away Malachi Richardson(former #22 pick) for Bruno Caboclo (giving up on Malachi and basically clearing a roster spot)
29. Waived Georgios Papagiannis(former #13 pick who he called a future All Star)

As you can see...he's had way more bad moves as a GM than good or even average. Vlade gets a bad rep because he hasn't made many good moves. Plus, he publicly admitted that he had better offers out there for Cousins, but he took too long on a deal and ended up getting less for him. Vlade's lack of English has nothing to do with his GM abilities. Communication might be a barrier between him and other FOs, but his actions speak for himself.
I'm sorry but even if you think these moves were all bad and ignore the rationale for them, it seems a bit of BS to basically repeat them 3-4 times while you gloss over the good. The Philly trade counts as one thing. Drafting Malachi and Papa is one thing. Barnes is one thing.

And frankly all the vet signings this year have Joerger all over them. VC has been a positive so you ding him for his pay. I mean this is just piling on at some point. I feel like sometimes the only reason I defend Vlade is because of over the top posts like these.

3. Drafted WCS at #5
4. Signed Seth Curry

16. Waived Matt Barnes

I've thought about the Vince Carter contract as well. I wonder if maybe he overpaid with the agreement that Vince would sort of take on a player/mentor/coaching type role? We always hear about Vince's pre practice workouts with Giles, Skal and the other young guys. I have a feeling that the extra money on top of the veteran minimum is for all the extra work Vince puts in with the young players. I know if I was 41 and on my last legs in the league, I wouldn't want to be coming in early and doing extra work. I'd be wanting to rest up. There may be more to the contract than just an over payment.

I'm sorry but even if you think these moves were all bad and ignore the rationale for them, it seems a bit of BS to basically repeat them 3-4 times while you gloss over the good. The Philly trade counts as one thing. Drafting Malachi and Papa is one thing. Barnes is one thing.

And frankly all the vet signings this year have Joerger all over them. VC has been a positive so you ding him for his pay. I mean this is just piling on at some point. I feel like sometimes the only reason I defend Vlade is because of over the top posts like these.
Where did I repeat any of them 3-4 times? These were all of Vlade's moves.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
You didn't repeat anything, it's a weird nitpick of what is obviously just a chronological list of transactions. You missed a few though... Caron Butler, Isaiah Cousins, Duje Dukan, David Stockton, James Anderson, Quincy Acy, Seth Curry. There was also that contract that was offered to Mbah a Moute and then rescinded for some unexplained medical reason. I don't think there's much reason to editorialize though. The list speaks for itself.

I mean marking both signing a player and releasing a player as a horrible move to make it look like two horrible moves. It was one bad move, in your opinion. You're milking it to make the bad moves far out number the bad. I happen to think the worst was done when he was learning and we've gotten steady improvement. But ymmv.

I've thought about the Vince Carter contract as well. I wonder if maybe he overpaid with the agreement that Vince would sort of take on a player/mentor/coaching type role? We always hear about Vince's pre practice workouts with Giles, Skal and the other young guys. I have a feeling that the extra money on top of the veteran minimum is for all the extra work Vince puts in with the young players. I know if I was 41 and on my last legs in the league, I wouldn't want to be coming in early and doing extra work. I'd be wanting to rest up. There may be more to the contract than just an over payment.
I would point out one thing that may have been missed. When the Kings played at Orlando, Vogel mentioned that they went after VC for the same reason the Kings did this summer, but the Kings outbid them. Obviously he didn't mention #s, but it wasn't like the Kings didn't have competition.

I would point out one thing that may have been missed. When the Kings played at Orlando, Vogel mentioned that they went after VC for the same reason the Kings did this summer, but the Kings outbid them. Obviously he didn't mention #s, but it wasn't like the Kings didn't have competition.
The guy has been everything we've asked of him I don't understand why people are complaining. Hill (and I think that's on Hill, not Vlade) and Z-Bo (on Joerger, mostly) yes. But Vince is the vet the kids respect/spot-player/assistant coach we all wanted them to be.

Here's something that I can't quite make sense of... Joerger basically said he's down with the tank. Vlade said he traded Papa b/c he wouldn't get playing time.
Isn't playing Papa the ultimate tank weapon??

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Vlade was a greenhorn when he took the job. I was all over this organization for hiring a greenhorn, but I'm not going to let that color my evaluation of Divac today. When it comes to evaluating greenhorns, I don't start with their beginning moves; I start with the latest moves because there is a learning curve for any greenhorn. The latest moves look pretty good to me.

First, I look at drafting because in the case of the small market and rebuilding team you're never going to sign the quality of FAs at the fair market price compared to large market and/or mature good teams. I think that's a given. Therefore, the first place I look to see if Divac is on the right track is the latest draft - Fox, Jackson, Mason and Giles. We don't know about Giles because we haven't seen him play, but with everything I've heard I have to give that pick the benefit of the doubt until I see differently. Therefore, I view that draft as extremely promising. That's four legit players in one draft, one of whom (Fox) has the potential to be a star in the league, JJ, who could eventually start at his position, Mason who already looks like he is a legit backup pg, and the X-Factor Harry Giles.

Then the latest FA signings - they weren't for the long term, just stopgap mentors for the youngins. I have no problem with that. In fact, it makes sense given the fact they weren't going to get a long term answer at any position in FA. Ideally, they wanted to get Porter who would be a long term answer at the SF position, but that was a remote possibility because of all the aforementioned reasons. Hill was a guy that was signed for a high amount (again small market and rebuilding teams have to do that). He was essentially a rental that presumably had some value for Fox in his development and was unloaded after Fox started to take off. Now the Kings aren't under Hill's contract. It was like renting a high price tutor for a year at no cost after the one year. No harm, no foul.

I'm not industrious enough to go into detail for the previous years, but the highlights for me have been obtaining Bogs, a very good player, and Skal, who is still very young and certainly hasn't played himself out of contention for a long term spot with this team. WCS was a pretty good pick in a lousy draft, Papa a disaster, the trade relinquishing next year's #1 was a disaster, but again, I don't put nearly the weight on those early moves that I do on what Vlade has done for this team lately.

Why is this a negative. It was a one year deal. Who else would you have signed?

Like I said earlier in previous post that is why the trade down in that was a great move. It mitigated our risks in a weak draft. If you want to say we drafted bad in that draft then 20 plus teams did the same thing. It was a terrible draft class.

Look at that free agency period that summer. Look at the long term bad contracts that were signed. Vlade signed guys on shorter terms and less money to try and build around Cousins but we didn't commit our long term future by doing so.
16. Waived Matt Barnes
Also I find it funny you criticized Vlade for signing Barns but criticized him for releasing him. What are you trying to do here? Trying to make up more bad moves to prove your point lol
Again restated the same move you labelled bad at the beginning. Trying to make up more bad moves to prove your point lol

We needed to hit the the cap floor. Added some mentors and vets to the team. Also again your repeating bad moves with Ricardson and Papa. Trying to make up more bad moves to prove your point lol. You say signing hill was a bad move but corrected the mistake is also bad movre? really? Again trying to make up more bad moves to prove your point lol

As you can see...he's had way more bad moves as a GM than good or even average. Vlade gets a bad rep because he hasn't made many good moves.
Not when you are being dishonest by trying name the same bad moves over and over to make your argument.

Plus, he publicly admitted that he had better offers out there for Cousins, but he took too long on a deal and ended up getting less for him. Vlade's lack of English has nothing to do with his GM abilities. Communication might be a barrier between him and other FOs, but his actions speak for himself.
The better offer was with the same team which Cousin's agent was trying to sabotage . Yes Vlade made the mistake of letting Cousin's agent know that were going to trade him. I admit that was mistake.

Last edited:
Maybe we have different view about special, KAT, Embiid, Greek Freak is very "special", Devin Booker, Donovan Mitchell, Ben Simmons not on that level but still special. Fox and Bogi, to be honest I don't think they are special because they haven't shown sign to be that good. I could be very wrong and I hope I am. I want to be optimistic but the experience with the Kings in the past 10 years suggest I should not.

Denver and Philly still good after those trades, they got so much draft asset, and we got so little. Our trade with Philly and Boogie trade is enough to be example of bad trade
So you don't think Denver botched it by giving up Mitchell? How about the beloved Philly giving up Tatum. How do you explain Philly's handing of MCW, Okafor and Noel. Point is those teams make mistakes also but they seem to get a pass.

As far as how you rate the Kings Young Fellas they are all in the show at the All Star weekend. So someone thinks they are special:)
Se because someone else made a mistake once, Vlades mistakes doesnt matter? First of all as Im sure you know sixers trade was way worse than Denvers trade down. It was a basic trade down that looks bad because against expectations Michell looks like the best player in the draft. The idea behind our sixers trade was idiotic from the start.

Mistakes happen especially in draft and as I said, all in all Im very happy with Vlades actions in drafts. But mistakes like sixers trade where you lose your 1st rounder for nothing or mishandling the rebuild phase are very costly and imo should be acknowledged. As I said, possibly rookie mistakes but what a shame they had to happen with us
Actually I will choose to continue to disagree with you on Denver trading away Mitchell being worse. Mitchell is a known quantity and the pick Vlade traded is unknown. He did get Belinelli--> Malachi --> Bruno and still has Kosta from that transaction so your continued assertion he got "nothing" from that trade is false.

I like Vlade OK. I suspect I defend him because so many of the Vlade antagonists rail to the extreme against his moves. Sure he has made errors. But he has assembled an exciting young corps of players who are starting to show out.

:)

You didn't repeat anything, it's a weird nitpick of what is obviously just a chronological list of transactions. You missed a few though... Caron Butler, Isaiah Cousins, Duje Dukan, David Stockton, James Anderson, Quincy Acy, Seth Curry. There was also that contract that was offered to Mbah a Moute and then rescinded for some unexplained medical reason. I don't think there's much reason to editorialize though. The list speaks for itself.
Isaiah Cousins. Really? the 59th pick in the 2016 draft. really? lmao
Caron Butler. Really? How much he signed? lol
Duje Dukan. Again really? Undrafted rookie signed for peanuts
David Stockton. Really? What about him?
Quincy Acy. Really?
Seth Curry. The only the one the list you have somewhat a point. Vlade rescinded their qualifying offer, making Curry an unrestricted free agent. Dig him a solid so he could more playing time on an other team. Mistake in hind sight
Mbah a Moute. The Kings medical staff had concerns about his shoulder and thus failed his physical. How is that a bad move by Vlade? He listened to his medical staff.

The list speaks for itself. Yeah your list speaks for itself. It shows your bias or hatred to our GM.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Isaiah Cousins. Really? the 59th pick in the 2016 draft. really? lmao
Caron Butler. Really? How much he signed? lol
Duje Dukan. Again really? Undrafted rookie signed for peanuts
David Stockton. Really? What about him?
Quincy Acy. Really?
Seth Curry. The only the one the list you have somewhat a point. Vlade rescinded their qualifying offer, making Curry an unrestricted free agent. Dig him a solid so he could more playing time on an other team. Mistake in hind sight
Mbah a Moute. The Kings medical staff had concerns about his shoulder and thus failed his physical. How is that a bad move by Vlade? He listened to his medical staff.

The list speaks for itself. Yeah your list speaks for itself. It shows your bias or hatred to our GM.
Christ man, what is your problem? Those signings happened. That's all I said. I made no comments about whether they were positive moves or not.

Also, when I said the list "speaks for itself" I meant that people will read into it positive and negative wherever they want to. There's no objective way to determine which moves were good and which were not (especially because most of these players are just starting out their careers) so people should be free to make up their own mind. I don't hate our GM. I just think he's done a pretty bad job so far which I have explained elsewhere. It's fine with me if you disagree. As they say, the truth will out.

Christ man, what is your problem? Those signings happened. That's all I said. I made no comments about whether they were positive moves or not.

Also, when I said the list "speaks for itself" I meant that people will read into it positive and negative wherever they want to. There's no objective way to determine which moves were good and which were not (especially because most of these players are just starting out their careers) so people should be free to make up their own mind. I don't hate our GM. I just think he's done a pretty bad job so far which I have explained elsewhere. It's fine with me if you disagree. As they say, the truth will out.
Come on enough with the games. Your list you gave almost every team in the NBA has the same type of players signed in the last couple of years. So what was your point with your list?

You say Vlade has done a pretty bad job yet you say there is no objective way to determine which moves were good and which were not. Lol

Analyzing and judging individual moves can distract from the bigger picture. Forest and trees kind of thing. If we traveled back in time and changed a butterfly, or in this case a GM, what are the possible outcomes big picture wise? Here are all the possiblities:

1) Kings would have already won a Championship.
2) Kings would be competing for a Championship but have not won it yet.
3) Kings would be a regular playoff team but not really competing for a Championship.
4) Kings would be making or barely missing playoffs stuck in the never-land between the playoffs and good lottery positions.
5) Kings would be one of the worse teams but have a promising young core to build on.
6) Kings would be one of the worst teams and have no promising young core , ie a total disaster.

Where do you think the Kings are now? I think Kings are now at 5. We have a promising young core, Giles who is an exciting unknown, a lottery pick coming, bunch of expiring contracts, and good cap space.

How likely is that a different GM would get us to 1 or 2? Not sure its that likely. We can all agree I hope that 3 and 4 are not really desired outcomes even though they are likely (lots of teams end up there). So unless you think we are actually a 6, things are actually looking up as we are sitting in that 5 bucket. Exciting too!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
You say Vlade has done a pretty bad job yet you say there is no objective way to determine which moves were good and which were not. Lol
You're persistent. It's annoying, but I respect your enthusiasm. :) Here's a little secret: Opinions are subjective. Always. We often pretend otherwise but mostly we're lying to ourselves. We can both look at the same list of facts and come up with different conclusions based on our own assumptions -- most of which are derived from life experiences -- which are as diverse as the sum of humanity.

So when I say that Vlade has done a pretty bad job, that's my opinion. I will defend my opinion not because I expect to change yours but because I want to make sure I'm actually being understood. I was also very supportive of Vlade when he first took the job (that may have been because literally anyone would have been an improvement over Pete D'Allesandro). But the second I feel like I'm being lied to I'm out. I'm not sticking around long enough to get lied to again. Vlade lost me with his explanation for the Cousins trade. It was disrespectful and misleading and made me embarrassed to be associated with this team. I'm not going to bounce yet though (sorry) because I think I can wait him out.

You're persistent. It's annoying, but I respect your enthusiasm. :) Here's a little secret: Opinions are subjective. Always. We often pretend otherwise but mostly we're lying to ourselves. We can both look at the same list of facts and come up with different conclusions based on our own assumptions -- most of which are derived from life experiences -- which are as diverse as the sum of humanity.

So when I say that Vlade has done a pretty bad job, that's my opinion. I will defend my opinion not because I expect to change yours but because I want to make sure I'm actually being understood. I was also very supportive of Vlade when he first took the job (that may have been because literally anyone would have been an improvement over Pete D'Allesandro). But the second I feel like I'm being lied to I'm out. I'm not sticking around long enough to get lied to again. Vlade lost me with his explanation for the Cousins trade. It was disrespectful and misleading and made me embarrassed to be associated with this team. I'm not going to bounce yet though (sorry) because I think I can wait him out.
Thanks for proving your bias every since the cousins. Nothing he can do to change your mind apparently. Maybe that’s not hating on our GM but it sure looks bias on your part. Although I do enjoy our conversations. Also glad we don’t have a political and debate section on here. Lol

So you don't think Denver botched it by giving up Mitchell? How about the beloved Philly giving up Tatum. How do you explain Philly's handing of MCW, Okafor and Noel. Point is those teams make mistakes also but they seem to get a pass.

As far as how you rate the Kings Young Fellas they are all in the show at the All Star weekend. So someone thinks they are special:)

Actually I will choose to continue to disagree with you on Denver trading away Mitchell being worse. Mitchell is a known quantity and the pick Vlade traded is unknown. He did get Belinelli--> Malachi --> Bruno and still has Kosta from that transaction so your continued assertion he got "nothing" from that trade is false.

I like Vlade OK. I suspect I defend him because so many of the Vlade antagonists rail to the extreme against his moves. Sure he has made errors. But he has assembled an exciting young corps of players who are starting to show out.

:)
It's Rising Star Challenge not all star game. Emmanuel Mudiay, Jahlil Okafor, D'Angelo Russell, Álex Abrines was in the game last year. Surely it's an strong evidence of player being special.