Vlade Divac - Kings GM AKA 21

Whats up everyone

Felt like the Papa thing has been over and done with long enough that we should move on and focus more on the actual topic of Mr 21.

This board is hilarious. Vlade has managed two straight drafts to absolutely kill it and the one before was solid. 2015 WCS is now looking better and better. (no not an all-star but to this day intriguing, more you could say for some of the others)

He is a revolutionary GM. In that he loves getting lots of 1st rd picks.

Look at Mitchell in Utah this year. 13th pick. How about Fultz? the #1 pick? haha Go back and look over a few drafts. Vlade may actual realize his own weakness. He's not an amazing GM. So instead of wasting our only pick, he's created the opportunity to have a bunch of picks. Look at this team! Is overloaded with youth. We had to cut some dead weight. Papa and Malachi were not working out.

But seriously he's been manufacturing more and more picks each year. Mason, Jackson, Giles, Bogi, Skal, Fox, and Bruno Caboclo (was the 20th pick), WCS. We have a 1st and two 2nds coming up this next draft.

Also we in theory could have 40+ mil in cap space.

Remember that summer where teams threw out some of the worst FA money of all time. We stayed out of that! We have no poison pill contracts plus all kinds of picks and talent.

Vlade gets a horrible rep due to #1 when he came into office remember Pete? #2 Kings were a rolling punch line #3 his first trade.. he had no assistants at that time and didn't actually know what he was doing, Its well documented by basketball insiders. BTW those same insiders give him positive reviews since acknowleding how difficult it was to just jump in here at that time and how he's grown.

Instead of a sniper GM he's been a Shotgun... spraying bullets everywhere in search of talent. Which takes me back to Mitchell this year. Sometimes its better to have more chances. Good news is Fox and company could be pretty good.

greatings to all of you.. althugh I am a Knicks fan, like most of Serbs I was waking up to watch a Kings matches back in the days, many times I was even late for school in the morning..

since Cousins was drafted I started liking Kings again, and been folowing since.. I am reading forum for months and I just wanted to give my two cents on curent situation.. this will probably be my first and last post, but I will continue reading you..

so first of all I see what Vlade (with Joerger) is trying to do, and this is a reason why I was again hooked up on Kings (also big reason Knicks sucking big time).. he is trying two things, first is to create basketball that is based on teamwork and second is making winning culture.. roughly there are two basketball philosophy, one is to entertain fans and other is to win no matter what.. in first one you have a player or players posting big numbers, players who fans love watching and whole team is dependent on them, while on other you have a team who is all about a winning, where every player knows his role and delivers it, whether it is seting good screens, cheering from bench and waiting to get 2-3 minutes or to score 30 points, it doesn;t matter.. and those players that are setting screens are as important as players posting 30 ppg..

while you had Cousins it was all about him, whole team was running over him and even with better management and better players around him, you would be maybe a marginal playoff team.. he is great player to entartain fans, but nothing more than that,.. I know many will hate me because of this, but this is my opinion.. and Vlade's biggest mistakes happened while he was trying to built it around Cousins..

since last February, you can watch a new era and an era Vlade is finally starting to make what he wants to make, and that is team basketball and winning culture.. basketball where it douesn't matter how many points you score, how many rebounds you get, or assists, but most important thing is to win and everybody will die for that.. one day Bogdan will score 15, tomorrow it will be Fox, than Buddy.. WCS might score 5, but he will be great in defese or just setting screens.. and nobody will have problem even if coach tells him today you will not play, as for this matchup we need somebody else..

this is hardest thing to do, for couple of reasons.. first players are put under serious pressure that they are not delivering visiable stats and second thing is that it takes time, takes a lot of time to find good characters, good chemistry on and off court.. but it gives results and once is sistem is set it is hard to brake, as you just change one or two players with players of same characteristics.. like Spurs are doing it for many years, they are now little bit older, but no franchise in history had this longitivity and it will stay like it, because it is not about players, but a team that wants to win.. or Golden State (again a reason to hate me for bringing them up :) ) for example where everybody has a role, Curry has a role, Green has one, McGee also, and they don't care who is doing what..

but you get a point.. now this is why I like Kings today.. they have young core and they will mature together on and off court.. they are complementary on court, but it feels to me that they are a great characters and they can play together and won together, and this is hard to find.. they need one great pick from next years draft and maybe one great FA signing in couple of years or trade for a superstar..

Fox is a scorer who will be good defender when he matures and his body gets stronger, Mason is great backup PG who can score and change rythm. Bogdan mashes with Fox great as he is two guard with good PG skills and he is a winner and can teach others (you have no idea how this is valuable), while Hield can be great 6th man.. JJ is great off bench as he doesn't care how many times he will touch a ball.. WCS, Giles and Skal are all interesting s they can play PF and C position and you can mix them however you want..

also one more thing that I like, check colleges these young guys were playing.. Kentucky, NC, Duke, Kansas all wining colleges and ones that teach how to win.. by having this fact, you can see what Vlade trys to do..

now you have everything set, you just need time.. but I am not talking like one or two years, I am talking more than that.. core players need to be 25-26 years so that they can really compete, up untill that it is very hard.. so patience Kings fans, you will need it, but if you stay on this path good things will come.. but if you go crazy and want to win it now, than you will stay in mediocracy for many years..

also one more thing I want to point and this is Luka Doncic.. Luka is a big talent, but in my opinion not what Kings need as they have Bogdan.. I am not subjective when I say that Doncic is not better than Bogdan, and I am not sure he will ever be.. he has better physical tools, but Bogdan played for best coach for young players in Europe and then best European coach ever, that experience is something that Doncic will never have. he is great player don't get me wrong, but his upside is very small, what you get now is what you will have more or less in 10 years and I believe Kings need somebody with greater upside.. Ayton or if he is off table risk with Michael Porter Jr. and his health issues.

so Kings fans be patient and enjoy the ride.

Whats up everyone

Felt like the Papa thing has been over and done with long enough that we should move on and focus more on the actual topic of Mr 21.

This board is hilarious. Vlade has managed two straight drafts to absolutely kill it and the one before was solid. 2015 WCS is now looking better and better. (no not an all-star but to this day intriguing, more you could say for some of the others)

He is a revolutionary GM. In that he loves getting lots of 1st rd picks.

Look at Mitchell in Utah this year. 13th pick. How about Fultz? the #1 pick? haha Go back and look over a few drafts. Vlade may actual realize his own weakness. He's not an amazing GM. So instead of wasting our only pick, he's created the opportunity to have a bunch of picks. Look at this team! Is overloaded with youth. We had to cut some dead weight. Papa and Malachi were not working out.

But seriously he's been manufacturing more and more picks each year. Mason, Jackson, Giles, Bogi, Skal, Fox, and Bruno Caboclo (was the 20th pick), WCS. We have a 1st and two 2nds coming up this next draft.

Also we in theory could have 40+ mil in cap space.

Remember that summer where teams threw out some of the worst FA money of all time. We stayed out of that! We have no poison pill contracts plus all kinds of picks and talent.

Vlade gets a horrible rep due to #1 when he came into office remember Pete? #2 Kings were a rolling punch line #3 his first trade.. he had no assistants at that time and didn't actually know what he was doing, Its well documented by basketball insiders. BTW those same insiders give him positive reviews since acknowleding how difficult it was to just jump in here at that time and how he's grown.

Instead of a sniper GM he's been a Shotgun... spraying bullets everywhere in search of talent. Which takes me back to Mitchell this year. Sometimes its better to have more chances. Good news is Fox and company could be pretty good.
Using a shotgun doesn't take skill, but if you know you're a bad sniper and choose the shotgun, then I guess you get credit for introspection.

He's actually doing a lot better than I expected. I am extremely pleased with how our team is developing, though I give most of the credit to Joerger. I think signing mentoring vets was a great decision. It's hard to judge a GM based on draft picks, so how he uses our cap space will be the determining factor for me.

While there are a few moves I did not agree with from Vlade, overall Vlade has done a good job in acquiring some young talent to build on.

For me, Vlade absolutely needs to nail this upcoming draft pick in 2018, since we don't have one in 2019. He can't allow that 2019 pick to wind up being a top 3 pick, so he needs to get that impact player in this years draft, so the Kings can be competitive next year.

I would like for him to concentrate on drafting the best player possible from whatever number we are drafting and not trading back for additional picks, like he has done in the past. We need Quality over Quantity now, we need that Alpha scorer.

This summer, since we probably can't sign a top free agent, unless we massively overpay again (i.e. George Hill), I would like for Vlade to use some of the salary cap space and take a player in a salary dump, and get a 2019 draft pick back, to make up for the one lost in that Philly trade.

If Harry Giles is the real deal and we grow with our current players and add a top flight player in this years draft, we should be on a course to at least challenge for the #8 playoff spot, sooner, rather than later.

GO KINGS!!!

Using a shotgun doesn't take skill, but if you know you're a bad sniper and choose the shotgun, then I guess you get credit for introspection.

He's actually doing a lot better than I expected. I am extremely pleased with how our team is developing, though I give most of the credit to Joerger. I think signing mentoring vets was a great decision. It's hard to judge a GM based on draft picks, so how he uses our cap space will be the determining factor for me.
If I was to grade Vlade I would have to give him an incomplete. His detractors have valid points and his supporters have valid counterpoints. And vice-versa. In a couple years this team could be the darlings of the league or it could continue spinning wheels like it has for over a decade. I am more hopeful than I have been for seemingly forever but realize that things can change quickly and not always for the best.

This was the roster that was in place when Vlade Divac became the general manager: Casspi, Collison, Cousins, Evans, Gay, Hollins, Landry, McCallum, McLemore, Miller, Moreland, Stauskas, Stockton, Thompson, Williams.

Of those players, I believe only six are still in the league. Only two are full-time starters on other teams. I believe at least four of those players, if not five or six were out of the league within a year or two of Vlade taking over the general manager duties.

At the end of the day for me to evaluate a general manager, I give them at least 3 three seasons before I start passing judgement and sometimes even 5 years depending upon what their vision is. I believe Vlade took the reins but right before the draft in 2015 so this upcoming draft would be his fourth draft. Therefore at the end of next season, we would be right in the middle of the ability to make decisions. Yet right now, some judgements can already be passed.

I have a very complicated but also a quite simple way at evaluating a general manager. The simple one for the sake of brevity is to answer one question: is the present and the future of the team better now that you are the GM?
As far as I am concerned, I think in the present one could argue it is better or it is worse. Yet, I think the future is much brighter.
To elaborate, I believe that at least 80% or more of the current roster could make at least half of the teams around the league. I think that is a major Improvement not just over the last few years but over the last 8 to 10 years. Yet at the same time, anytime you lose a talent as good as DeMarcus Cousins and a Rudy Gay, you cannot make that up overnight. However in trying to reshape the future in the current environment of the NBA you kind of have to "suck for luck" or "tank for bank". Therefore, one has to expect and lack of star players in order to create the opportunities to polish off new ones.
I think even on this team not counting the upcoming draft pick, I believe there are about five of the seven players needed to make for a perennial second-round competitive playoff team.
Fox
Bogy
?
Skal/?
WCS

Bench:
Mason
Buddy

TL;DR - I believe Vlade Divac has done an overall good job because the greatest thing he has done has given the Kings assets where they had none/few. He can now take some of the young players that he does not in vision for the future and package them to create new assets. We cannot understate that

I think just to elaborate on lwc's post, you have to consider that over the 3 seasons he has been here, he has had two different objectives. The first was to try to find a way to immediately win with Cousins. He made moves to do that, and that necessitated rolling the dice with free agency, and he had to clear space to do it. Thus the "lousy" trade with Philly. It's really only lousy because we haven't been winning though. Had things worked out he'd be a genius.

But it didn't work. so he was given the directive to get return for Cousins and start a full rebuild. Well he got return for Cousins. It wasn't great, but when you compare other superstar moves lately (and consider that they haven't been branded as malcontents) it was fair. The PR side it was a disaster but it's clear that is not Vlade's forte.

Since then, we managed to save our 2017 pick that was in jeopardy, netting us a potential star in Fox. A gutsy but relatively low-risk move that yielded another potential star in Giles and someone who are likely to be nice rotational pieces in Jackson (and I think there was a focus on what we're likely to net in 2018 with this move) and Mason. We're in position to get one of the gems of 2018 and also to make a complimentary free agent signing if we can find any takers. Though Hill didn't work out, it seemed a big signing at the time and I also think the way we handled it shipping him to a top team that expects to contend for the East will also be a plus for a guy that signs a one or two year deal that we'll do him right.

I won't give him a grade until maybe the all-star break next year so we will see if he is on-track to meet his promises.

I'm a bit worried about cap space. The rumor is that Vlade wants to make a splash in free agency but after looking at the cap space, he's not going to be able to do much.

The veterans are going to opt in. The only one who has even the slightest inkling of a chance of not opting in is Koufos but I'm still putting him at a 98% chance of opting in with the lack of money to go around in the league. I guess it depends on whether he wants to go to a contender or make more money here. It's not like he's a guy who has already made a ton of money by NBA standards so I can easily see him staying here for the payday.

About $28mil is going to be wrapped up in Shumpert, Koufos and Temple next year. Plus ZBo is set to make almost $12mil.

I guess I'll just take solace in the fact that it may be able to save the Kings from making a bad move in giving Aaron Gordon a max deal.

I think just to elaborate on lwc's post, you have to consider that over the 3 seasons he has been here, he has had two different objectives. The first was to try to find a way to immediately win with Cousins. He made moves to do that, and that necessitated rolling the dice with free agency, and he had to clear space to do it. Thus the "lousy" trade with Philly. It's really only lousy because we haven't been winning though. Had things worked out he'd be a genius.

But it didn't work. so he was given the directive to get return for Cousins and start a full rebuild. Well he got return for Cousins. It wasn't great, but when you compare other superstar moves lately (and consider that they haven't been branded as malcontents) it was fair. The PR side it was a disaster but it's clear that is not Vlade's forte.

Since then, we managed to save our 2017 pick that was in jeopardy, netting us a potential star in Fox. A gutsy but relatively low-risk move that yielded another potential star in Giles and someone who are likely to be nice rotational pieces in Jackson (and I think there was a focus on what we're likely to net in 2018 with this move) and Mason. We're in position to get one of the gems of 2018 and also to make a complimentary free agent signing if we can find any takers. Though Hill didn't work out, it seemed a big signing at the time and I also think the way we handled it shipping him to a top team that expects to contend for the East will also be a plus for a guy that signs a one or two year deal that we'll do him right.

I won't give him a grade until maybe the all-star break next year so we will see if he is on-track to meet his promises.
I’ll always wonder ... if the Kings had let Karl trade out DeMarcus when he wanted to... what would the returns look like. That year was kind of a pivot point... the path we chose was so badly doomed. But what’s done is done.

I'm a bit worried about cap space. The rumor is that Vlade wants to make a splash in free agency but after looking at the cap space, he's not going to be able to do much.

The veterans are going to opt in. The only one who has even the slightest inkling of a chance of not opting in is Koufos but I'm still putting him at a 98% chance of opting in with the lack of money to go around in the league. I guess it depends on whether he wants to go to a contender or make more money here. It's not like he's a guy who has already made a ton of money by NBA standards so I can easily see him staying here for the payday.

About $28mil is going to be wrapped up in Shumpert, Koufos and Temple next year. Plus ZBo is set to make almost $12mil.

I guess I'll just take solace in the fact that it may be able to save the Kings from making a bad move in giving Aaron Gordon a max deal.
I thought we're supposed to have enough to go after one player. I somehow doubt it will be Aaron Gordon since we already have a one dimensional big. A lot depends on who we draft.

Shumpert is for sure going to opt in because he's #bad and won't come near to $11 mil again in FA, but I do wonder about Koufos and Temple. They obviously see the writing on the wall that a majority of the playing time, especially next season, is going to move over to the young guys. Especially with a healthy Giles/Mason/2018 rookie in the mix. So do they think they'll be able to get a long-term deal sitting on the bench of a 30 win team? Or would they rather go sign on with a contender for a 2/10 or 2/12 deal with a team option? I don't think it's out of the question for either guy to get that on a contenders bench.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: The OP has a point; the other thread has gotten old and unwieldy with more than one poster making the "I haven't read the thread but..." comment. At this point, why not migrate to this thread in favor of the one that started out about PapaG?

Thanks all.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
This was the roster that was in place when Vlade Divac became the general manager: Casspi, Collison, Cousins, Evans, Gay, Hollins, Landry, McCallum, McLemore, Miller, Moreland, Stauskas, Stockton, Thompson, Williams.

Of those players, I believe only six are still in the league...
Eight.

I believe that at least 80% or more of the current roster could make at least half of the teams around the league.
You believe that "at least 80%" of the Sacramento Kings, as of Feb. 13, 2018, could make half the teams in the NBA? I feel like that says more about the three players you think couldn't make a team.

Mitchell looks really good but so does Fox, and even Mason. If Giles comes anywhere near what some expect,
i wont even be thinking about what Utah is doing, I'll say that much.

My only issue with Vlade and the gang is how the Cousins trade was handled. That's it and that's all.

So vlade is the GM and has ultimate decision making with Vivek, but doesn't deal get on the phone? Williams is the middle man? Ok..........
IMO, article made us sound kinda bumbling.

What a joke. I'm sorry Vlade, we all love you, but you've got to go.

From the article:

Altman had negotiated the trade with Kings assistant general manager Brandon Williams, who works under GM Vlade Divac. The management structure in Sacramento can make deals dicey, because Divac seldom gets on the phone for the trade-building parts -- and yet he ultimately has decision-making power with owner Vivek Ranadive.

That's why a 3 a.m. ET deal memo sent from Sacramento to Cleveland left Altman at first incredulous -- and then angry. Suddenly, Kings center Georgios Papagiannis had been included as part of the three-way trade. Cleveland and Utah were adamant that Papagiannis' name had never been discussed. Williams would later say that Papagiannis or Malachi Richardson were set to be included in the deals and insisted his notes confirmed that.
Because Sacramento had the makings for a trade with Toronto for Richardson, rival executives say that the Kings pushed to spare themselves the embarrassment of waiving the No. 13 overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft -- and let someone else do it. In the middle of the night, Altman and Williams vocally disagreed over the insertion of Papagiannis into the trade. Cleveland couldn't take him into its roster because the NBA's repeater tax would turn the balance of his $2.3 million contract this year and $2.4 million next year into three times that with the luxury-tax bill.

In the morning, Altman let the Jazz know about Sacramento's inclusion of Papagiannis. Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey was livid. To him, this was a deal-breaker. He hadn't dealt directly with Sacramento, because there had been no need: The deal went through Cleveland, and Altman had never suggested to Lindsey that Utah would have to take a 7-foot draft bust onto his roster.

So vlade is the GM and has ultimate decision making with Vivek, but doesn't deal get on the phone? Williams is the middle man? Ok..........
Kinda bumbling? In terms of the Kings, it was highly unfavorable. What he said about Papa was interesting if true in terms of perceived value.

If that is the true organizational structure of the Kings, that would be unsettling.

Woj will always throw Back hands and imply undertones of dysfunction when he writes about us. Vlade's English is rough around the edges and even as a card holding in Vlade we trust member I still sleep better at night knowing that Williams has Vlades ear and goes home with the company phone.

The narrative that Woj is out to get Sacramento is false. We're a dysfunctional franchise... this should come as no surprise for anyone.

Papagiannis was a horrible draft pick and in turns out, nobody else in the league wants him. This is the guy who Vlade said would be a future All-Star a year ago...

What a joke. I'm sorry Vlade, we all love you, but you've got to go.

From the article:

Altman had negotiated the trade with Kings assistant general manager Brandon Williams, who works under GM Vlade Divac. The management structure in Sacramento can make deals dicey, because Divac seldom gets on the phone for the trade-building parts -- and yet he ultimately has decision-making power with owner Vivek Ranadive.

That's why a 3 a.m. ET deal memo sent from Sacramento to Cleveland left Altman at first incredulous -- and then angry. Suddenly, Kings center Georgios Papagiannis had been included as part of the three-way trade. Cleveland and Utah were adamant that Papagiannis' name had never been discussed. Williams would later say that Papagiannis or Malachi Richardson were set to be included in the deals and insisted his notes confirmed that.
Because Sacramento had the makings for a trade with Toronto for Richardson, rival executives say that the Kings pushed to spare themselves the embarrassment of waiving the No. 13 overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft -- and let someone else do it. In the middle of the night, Altman and Williams vocally disagreed over the insertion of Papagiannis into the trade. Cleveland couldn't take him into its roster because the NBA's repeater tax would turn the balance of his $2.3 million contract this year and $2.4 million next year into three times that with the luxury-tax bill.

In the morning, Altman let the Jazz know about Sacramento's inclusion of Papagiannis. Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey was livid. To him, this was a deal-breaker. He hadn't dealt directly with Sacramento, because there had been no need: The deal went through Cleveland, and Altman had never suggested to Lindsey that Utah would have to take a 7-foot draft bust onto his roster.
It looks like we just raised our price for Hill a bit by adding PapaG, don't see anything wrong about this. WOJ wrote the article in Altman's POV and phrase it like we are the one who broke the deal

The narrative that Woj is out to get Sacramento is false. We're a dysfunctional franchise... this should come as no surprise for anyone.

Just because the Kings have been a dysfunctional franchise doesn't automatically invalidate the claim that Woj has a grudge or something against the Kings.

Ever since the claim 'first and goal at the one' he has seemed to have a negative bias against the Kings.

Ever since the claim 'first and goal at the one' he has seemed to have a negative bias against the Kings.
Have said this before and will say it again -- "first and goal" wasn't wrong, Sacramento just made the ultimate goal line stand.

That line was also his quote of someone else, IIRC, not his own language, yet Kings fans continue to cite it as evidence of bias.

It looks like we just raised our price for Hill a bit by adding PapaG, don't see anything wrong about this. WOJ wrote the article in Altman's POV and phrase it like we are the one who broke the deal
Yeah, clearly most of the article came from his conversations with the Cavs. That said, this line to me indicated he at least spoke with our AGM Brandon Williams: "Williams would later say that Papagiannis or Malachi Richardson were set to be included in the deals and insisted his notes confirmed that."

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yeah, clearly most of the article came from his conversations with the Cavs. That said, this line to me indicated he at least spoke with our AGM Brandon Williams: "Williams would later say that Papagiannis or Malachi Richardson were set to be included in the deals and insisted his notes confirmed that."
And frankly, I believe Williams on that. We didn't have a roster spot to do a 2-for-1. We knew it. We would absolutely have included him. And when Altman either forgot that Papa was part of the deal or pretended to forget when he realized the tax implications of it, then blames us in his little ESPN hagiography monologue, I think he's being disingenuous. Good for Williams for standing up to Altman and forcing them to come up with the cash to pay off Papa when we were forced to waive him due to their alteration of the deal structure.

Have said this before and will say it again -- "first and goal" wasn't wrong, Sacramento just made the ultimate goal line stand.

That line was also his quote of someone else, IIRC, not his own language, yet Kings fans continue to cite it as evidence of bias.
I didn't mean to imply that quote as being one of bias, just a reference to a point in time.

I followed the relocation saga really close (yes, even from Kentucky). It wasn't all Sacramento, it was also the business elite vs the political elite playing a big part. I'm glad that the political elite was on Sacramento's side. I would love to have been a fly on some of those back room walls.

He’s done some good, some bad, but he was hired without experience and I would trust a more qualified mind running the show. That goes to Vivek, though, and the fact that he would hire someone without qualified experience

We get taken in most trades and I don’t want this organization taking entire courses of action I disagree with, like vets over assets. To be kind, I’ll assume the Carroll/pick deal wasn’t on the table at the time and Randolph’s ugly second year was Joerger though