2018 draft fits with this team

Jackson is too risky to go top 3 IMO. His odds of being a high level 3 and D guy are much higher than his odds of being a franchise talent. If he puts it all together, watch out. But I think the odds of that are lower than a few of the other guys near the top of the board.

I think Ayton will fall down the draft board with teams starting to go away from traditional big men. Wouldn't be surprised if he falls out of the top 3.

Jackson’s workouts are going to be so crucial. With what he has already put on film, he’s just going to be so darn valuable as a player. He’s such a Swiss army knife out there. He can play with whichever of our young bigs hit, and form a tremndous troika with Fox and Bogi. Ayton has certainly shown more on offense so far, but I would not be shocked if JJJ matches Ayton’s workout performances aside from vertical. JJJ is the type of player other guys love playing with, and an Izzo player LOVES the game. I just really like Michigan State guys...I think they are a great profile fit for Sacramento.

Conversely, are we sure Ayton loves the game? He just comes across as a kid who works really hard, but might not love it. And that’s fine—Shaq didn’t. Shaq also bolted for LA as soon as he could. You can’t draft scared, but I’d be very interested in gauging Ayton’s long term fit in Sacramento in the interview process. Hey, that’s what the Spurs do, and Buford/Pop are Vlade’s role models.

I think the Kings draft pick will fall between 6-10.
Other teams will tank harder and lose more.

Dallas, Orlando, Atlanta, Memphis, Chicago, Brooklyn

Orlando, Memphis. Atlanta, and Chicago will be full on tank after the ASB.

Doncic, Young, Porter, Ayton are pipe dreams for the Kings.

Kings will be looking at Jaren Jackson. Bamba, One of the Bridges, or Kevin Knox.

Jackson’s workouts are going to be so crucial. With what he has already put on film, he’s just going to be so darn valuable as a player. He’s such a Swiss army knife out there. He can play with whichever of our young bigs hit, and form a tremndous troika with Fox and Bogi. Ayton has certainly shown more on offense so far, but I would not be shocked if JJJ matches Ayton’s workout performances aside from vertical. JJJ is the type of player other guys love playing with, and an Izzo player LOVES the game. I just really like Michigan State guys...I think they are a great profile fit for Sacramento.

Conversely, are we sure Ayton loves the game? He just comes across as a kid who works really hard, but might not love it. And that’s fine—Shaq didn’t. Shaq also bolted for LA as soon as he could. You can’t draft scared, but I’d be very interested in gauging Ayton’s long term fit in Sacramento in the interview process. Hey, that’s what the Spurs do, and Buford/Pop are Vlade’s role models.

Ayton will be gone before the Kings pick. Kings won’t tank hard enough.

I think the Kings draft pick will fall between 6-10.
Other teams will tank harder and lose more.

Dallas, Orlando, Atlanta, Memphis, Chicago, Brooklyn

Orlando, Memphis. Atlanta, and Chicago will be full on tank after the ASB.

Doncic, Young, Porter, Ayton are pipe dreams for the Kings.

Kings will be looking at Jaren Jackson. Bamba, One of the Bridges, or Kevin Knox.
This is true but we better not look at Knox

bajaden

Hall of Famer
At a crossroads with Bagley. I just don't know where he fits on offense. Energy big with potential to develop as something more?
Well obviously your betting on potential. As I've said a few times, he's just a consistent jumpshot away from being a star. I do question his handles a bit as well, and have now come to the conclusion that JJJ has better handles than Bagley. I now have Jackson at number three on my board just ahead of Bagley. I do count hustle as a skill, and an important one, which is where Ayton falls a little short at times. Don't like it when he becomes a spectator. That said, I still have Ayton ahead of Bagley. It's a crapshoot, but it's a pretty talented crapshoot.

Well obviously your betting on potential. As I've said a few times, he's just a consistent jumpshot away from being a star. I do question his handles a bit as well, and have now come to the conclusion that JJJ has better handles than Bagley. I now have Jackson at number three on my board just ahead of Bagley. I do count hustle as a skill, and an important one, which is where Ayton falls a little short at times. Don't like it when he becomes a spectator. That said, I still have Ayton ahead of Bagley. It's a crapshoot, but it's a pretty talented crapshoot.
Right now, he's dominating college purely due to his length and bounce. We know that as soon as he gets to the NBA, that advantage gets narrow. I want to see him start developing some of those skills. I haven't been impressed by how he scores. I think he does have a promising stroke to develop as a mid-range shooter, and eventually a 3pt shooter. But, it's not a guarantee.

I used to have Bagley as my #2/3 prospect, but I've moved him down the boards. If it came down to Bagley vs. JJJ, it would be a difficult choice. Bagley has the higher ceiling due to his scoring instincts and nose for the ball, but JJJ is a more complete defensive player.

It'll be interesting to see how the FO views our bigs of WCS/Skal/Giles moving forward. Apparently Giles looks good, but it could all just be false hype from the FO.

Bagleys jumpshot is smooth and he uses it in games no doubt in my mind it will be respecteable. Like someone said above me Bagley with a respectable shot is a star no and it’s or buts about it. He’s quick and extremely bouncy he’ll be deadly on the break and pick and roll. With a jump shot and nba spacing he’s a 20-10 guy easily

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Right now, he's dominating college purely due to his length and bounce. We know that as soon as he gets to the NBA, that advantage gets narrow. I want to see him start developing some of those skills. I haven't been impressed by how he scores. I think he does have a promising stroke to develop as a mid-range shooter, and eventually a 3pt shooter. But, it's not a guarantee.

I used to have Bagley as my #2/3 prospect, but I've moved him down the boards. If it came down to Bagley vs. JJJ, it would be a difficult choice. Bagley has the higher ceiling due to his scoring instincts and nose for the ball, but JJJ is a more complete defensive player.

It'll be interesting to see how the FO views our bigs of WCS/Skal/Giles moving forward. Apparently Giles looks good, but it could all just be false hype from the FO.
First, on the Giles hype. I might agree with you if it all was coming from the organization, but I've listened to interviews and a few podcasts with Christie, Temple, Randolph and Carter, all of whom have raved about Giles. Temple called him a monster. Christie said that Giles will be the best player out of this draft etc. Of course its just their opinion, but it is coming from players, or in Christie's case and ex-player. So we'll see. Frankly I'm more worried about Giles long term health than I'am his skill set.

I'm not sure whom your talking about in your first paragraph. I'm assuming it's Ayton, and if so, I don't have any worries about his skill level. His mid-range stepback fall away is deadly and reminds me a lot of Anthony Davis fall away shot. His mechanic's are fine, and I see no reason he can't become consistent from the three. When Ayton decides to play, which to be fair, is more often than not, he can be a monster and almost unstoppable at the college level. Won't be as easy in the NBA, but I think he'll adjust just fine.

If my choice is between JJJ and Bagley, I'm fairly happy because I believe that I'm going to get a good player, maybe a great player no matter which player I choose. But right now, I think I'd take Jackson. He's impressed me with his ball handling and the way he attacks a close out, two things I had questions about. Only took me watching 16 or 17 games to see what I needed to see. Bagley is the far better athlete, but I question that he's actually 6'10"or 6'11". I have no such doubts about Jackson. Bagley has the green light, and Jackson is forced to play within a more restrictive system. I agree that the individual workouts will open, or close some books on Jackson. Personally, I think he helps himself.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Went back and reread your post, and think maybe you were talking about Bagley instead of Ayton. If so, I'd say that your comments were warranted to some degree. I don't see Bagley being able to play center in the NBA. Well, maybe in a small lineup situation, but overall, I see him as a PF with the athleticism to guard a couple of positions. There are times when Bagley is very good on defense, and other times where he loses his man, or gives unnecessary help leaving his man open. All correctable problems. He's a terrific rebounder that rebounds out of his area, and I do think that will translate to the NBA.

Duke has Bagley playing mostly in the post, and I understand why. He can out quick most of the competition and has excellent footwork down low. Therefore he requires a double team most of the time, which open's up shots for Duke's guards. Unfortunately, it doesn't give us much of a chance to see what kind of game he has away from the basket. When he does take an occasional jumpshot, his form looks good. He has a fairly high release, and he goes straight up with the shot. He has also shown, rarely, a fade away mid-range shot. Haven't seen it enough times to make any judgement on it, but at least I know he can execute it.

Bagley is interesting because he could end up being a good rotational player, or he could end up being a HOF player. That's a fairly wide margin. Where's that crystal ball when you need it.

Went back and reread your post, and think maybe you were talking about Bagley instead of Ayton. If so, I'd say that your comments were warranted to some degree. I don't see Bagley being able to play center in the NBA. Well, maybe in a small lineup situation, but overall, I see him as a PF with the athleticism to guard a couple of positions. There are times when Bagley is very good on defense, and other times where he loses his man, or gives unnecessary help leaving his man open. All correctable problems. He's a terrific rebounder that rebounds out of his area, and I do think that will translate to the NBA.

Duke has Bagley playing mostly in the post, and I understand why. He can out quick most of the competition and has excellent footwork down low. Therefore he requires a double team most of the time, which open's up shots for Duke's guards. Unfortunately, it doesn't give us much of a chance to see what kind of game he has away from the basket. When he does take an occasional jumpshot, his form looks good. He has a fairly high release, and he goes straight up with the shot. He has also shown, rarely, a fade away mid-range shot. Haven't seen it enough times to make any judgement on it, but at least I know he can execute it.

Bagley is interesting because he could end up being a good rotational player, or he could end up being a HOF player. That's a fairly wide margin. Where's that crystal ball when you need it.
What will propel him to HOF will be an Amari Stouldimire like rise in jump shot. Without a shot he’ll still be a 15-10 guy with average defense I believe.

Bagley is shooting 35% from 3 on 2 attempts
Fox shot 25% on 2 attempts
If those stay the same Bagley would be a better shooter in college than Fox which isn’t bad from a PF position with all world athleticism. Also helps that his shot isn’t broken it’s nice and smooth

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What will propel him to HOF will be an Amari Stouldimire like rise in jump shot. Without a shot he’ll still be a 15-10 guy with average defense I believe.

Bagley is shooting 35% from 3 on 2 attempts
Fox shot 25% on 2 attempts
If those stay the same Bagley would be a better shooter in college than Fox which isn’t bad from a PF position with all world athleticism. Also helps that his shot isn’t broken it’s nice and smooth
Other than his jumpshot, my other big concern with Bagley is his defense. I've been downplaying it a bit, but at times he appears lost out there. But then the entire Duke team is bad defensively. So, not sure it's not a culture thing. Bagley is certainly athletic enough to be a good defender, but does he have the desire?

Sitting here watching USC at Arizona and heard an interesting story from Bill Walton (it happens occasionally). Rawle Alkins mentioned that he didn't know how to swim and Ayton said "call me the Black Mermaid". He lived in the water growing up and could teach him how to swim.

I just think it would be awesome if "The Black Mermaid" ended up becoming his nickname.