Had we not swapped with Philly

for those upset about the Philly trade (including me) consider:

1) Boston was going to draft Tatum
2) Kings needed a point guard and if Fultz were available we would have been tempted.
3) the odds of Vlade trading 3 and 10 for 1 and us getting an injured Fultz was not small.

Swapping picks with Philly may have been a huge positive if Giles pans out.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's hard to make any case that we'd be better off with Fultz right now. And I know the injury is a nice excuse to write off how poorly he played before he got shut down, which was basically at historic bust levels of production.

That said - we'd surely be worse off than we are now which would please the tank patrol (I'm somewhere in the middle there - I think if we secure a top 5 pick we're ok and so playing to be the worst team doesn't really help build culture or boost the coach down the road). And we would have our 2019 which would put a ton less pressure on getting results in 2018. But keeping 10 helped us net our own "injury wild card" who was a projected first overall not long ago himself.

However I think that not having our pick in 2019 is a bit of a mixed blessing because it gave us a timetable to measure improvement. There will be no happiness after "good losses". We should try to win every single game and that will be a good way to measure where we really are as a team.

The only Faultz I see here are in Markelle's shooting form, BA-ZING!
That's one of the weirdest dramas we've seen in the NBA in a while... and we've seen some weird stuffs. Not just talking about why he changed his fully functional 40% 3pt jumpshot...but also how there was a media circus between the Sixers and Fultz's camp about the whole thing.

I think we definitely would've traded up to get Fultz. Had we stayed at #3, I think the Celtics probably still would've taken Tatum at #1. They had him really high. In the trade for Kyrie, they could've just included the Lakers 17' pick instead which is 6-31 protected or something. Here's how I think the draft would've looked like.

Re-draft:
1. Celtics: Tatum
2. Lakers: Ball
3. Kings: Fultz
4. Suns: Jackson
5. Sixers: DSJ (wouldn't have taken Fox with Simmons already on the team)
6. Orlando: Isaac (Fox could've made sense for them, but they obviously weren't interested in a PG after passing up on DSJ and Ntilikina)
7. Bulls: Markkanen
8. Knicks: Fox
9. Dallas: Ntilikina
10. Kings: Collins

This isn't with hind-sight of how the players turned out.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think we definitely would've traded up to get Fultz. Had we stayed at #3, I think the Celtics probably still would've taken Tatum at #1. They had him really high. In the trade for Kyrie, they could've just included the Lakers 17' pick instead which is 6-31 protected or something. Here's how I think the draft would've looked like.

Re-draft:
1. Celtics: Tatum
2. Lakers: Ball
3. Kings: Fultz
4. Suns: Jackson
5. Sixers: DSJ (wouldn't have taken Fox with Simmons already on the team)
6. Orlando: Isaac (Fox could've made sense for them, but they obviously weren't interested in a PG after passing up on DSJ and Ntilikina)
7. Bulls: Markkanen
8. Knicks: Fox
9. Dallas: Ntilikina
10. Kings: Collins

This isn't with hind-sight of how the players turned out.
No Mitchell in the top 10? That's absurd. If not for Ben Simmons, he would be the lead candidate for ROY.

No Mitchell in the top 10? That's absurd. If not for Ben Simmons, he would be the lead candidate for ROY.
Was basing it off of what we knew in June. How the actual order could've gone. If I were to re-draft this, I think you'd see Mitchell, Markkanen, Kuzma, Mitchell, and Tatum all in the top 6-7. No specific order.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Was basing it off of what we knew in June. How the actual order could've gone. If I were to re-draft this, I think you'd see Mitchell, Markkanen, Kuzma, Mitchell, and Tatum all in the top 6-7. No specific order.
The draft could of gone any in which way because lots of front offices believed the players in the top 3-5 weren't head and shoulders above the rest and so far that remains true. All those picks could of been interchangeable and I doubt many teams would be slapping themselves over it because the teams in the top 10 got quality players, and even beyond that.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
That's great when you take it out of context like that.

Also when you ignore that the trade was made to improve the team and win with Cousins which is something we all thought we could do.

Yeah, it didn't work out. And yeah, obviously a pick is better than no pick. But it's water under the bridge and so make the effin' most of it. In our case that means 2018-2019 is 100% not a tank year. You play to win every game. You don't get moral victories because it helps your lotto standing after a narrow loss. And that's a great way to evaluate your talent at the end of the day.

which is something we all thought we could do.
Oh, no. "We" "all" did not think that.

In fact, some of us thought the Kings would end up trading Cousins and starting over before the 2019 draft is why the trade was so so so dumb at the time without hindsight. That's why most objective and smart writers killed the deal at the time. Many folks here called them "haters" and ignorant of the details of our roster and "plan".

If you want to look at the glass 90% empty and call it half full. Hey, whatever float your boat.

The way you describe the moral victories of LINS and where I think the Kings will be at in 2019, is a tad like one saying, "Yeah, we are stuck in the middle of nowhere and no material supplies are coming until 2020. But, you know what. We KNOW that nothing else is coming. I mean, there is something also GOOD about that. Right?"

To which I would say, "No. That's not a good thing."

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The way you describe the moral victories of LINS and where I think the Kings will be at in 2019, is a tad like one saying, "Yeah, we are stuck in the middle of nowhere and no material supplies are coming until 2020. But, you know what. We KNOW that nothing else is coming. I mean, there is something also GOOD about that. Right?"
For what it's worth I've never used the LIN/WOSS thing on this site.

I'm not a glass half anything guy. I'm a deal with the cards we're dealt guy.

for those upset about the Philly trade (including me) consider:

1) Boston was going to draft Tatum
2) Kings needed a point guard and if Fultz were available we would have been tempted.
3) the odds of Vlade trading 3 and 10 for 1 and us getting an injured Fultz was not small.

Swapping picks with Philly may have been a huge positive if Giles pans out.
Your premise is false because the Kings had Josh Jackson ranked #1 on their board and De'Aaron Fox ranked #2 regardless of their draft position.

Fultz was the consensus #1, somebody would have traded with the Celtics for him. It's possible the draft would have gone down like this:

Celtics trade #1 for Lakers' #2 and #27.

#1. Fultz - Lakers
#2. Tatum - Celtics
#3. Ball(!) - Kings

And I rather have Fox than Ball.
Also, Vlade said he would have picked Fox with the #1 pick, but I don't think he was being completely honest.

As for Fultz, if it's really just a shoulder thing I see him recovering and going back to his normal self.

I thought Donovan would be really good but he has actually surpassed my expectations. He reminded me A LOT of Damian Lillard but I didn't think he'd be confident enough to take over games as much as he does so soon. He has the strength and length and the change of direction dribble with the range on his shot that has translated so well. Once he realized "hey I am just as good or better than these guys" he has asserted himself more and more.

De'Aaron will be doing the same thing! Just wait and see!