[Game] Kings v. Spurs - Monday, Jan. 8 - 7 PT

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You never know who you're going to face when you play the Spurs, as Pop has been at the forefront of keeping players out of the game for "rest." Even the injury report is pretty much useless. We just have to wait until the lineups are submitted right before the game to see who will be on the court. I don't like this and I hope the league addresses it at some point.

Anyway, the last time we played the Spurs we lost but there were a lot of generally good comments. I'm hoping win or lose the Kings can manage to put together another good effort. I have no idea what the lineup will be but if Z-Bo is available, I suspect he'll see significant minutes against the Spurs. I am just hopeful we will see more minutes for the kids. Part of my hope is based on what we saw against the Nuggets and the comments made by the players after the game that all seemed very pleased with how hard they had been worked in practice and how anxious they were to put the things they worked on into a real-game scenario. I know not everyone agrees, but I still think Joerger is doing this right. :)

The Kings get on the plane right after the game to head down to LA to play *that team* in Staples on Tuesday. I'll start that game thread as soon as this game is concluded. I have some goodies to share. :p

GO KINGS!

gunks

Hall of Famer
We actually beat a decent team. Does that mean we'll *gasp* lose to a great team?!

Everything has become so topsy turvy!

I low key want Z-bo to be out again, to see if Fox continues his strong play from last game without the big fella, but I'm sure Joerger already has the shakes, sweats, and chills from Z-bo withdrawal. I dunno if Vlade wants to risk coach having a complete breakdown.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We actually beat a crappy team. Does that mean we'll *gasp* lose to a great team?!

Everything has become so topsy turvy!

I low key want Z-bo to be out again, to see if Fox continues his strong play from last game without the big fella, but I'm sure Joerger already has the shakes, sweats, and chills from Z-bo withdrawal. I dunno if Vlade wants to risk coach having a complete breakdown.
The Nuggets are a crappy team with a 21-18 record?

You never know who you're going to face when you play the Spurs, as Pop has been at the forefront of keeping players out of the game for "rest." Even the injury report is pretty much useless. We just have to wait until the lineups are submitted right before the game to see who will be on the court. I don't like this and I hope the league addresses it at some point.

Anyway, the last time we played the Spurs we lost but there were a lot of generally good comments. I'm hoping win or lose the Kings can manage to put together another good effort. I have no idea what the lineup will be but if Z-Bo is available, I suspect he'll see significant minutes against the Spurs. I am just hopeful we will see more minutes for the kids. Part of my hope is based on what we saw against the Nuggets and the comments made by the players after the game that all seemed very pleased with how hard they had been worked in practice and how anxious they were to put the things they worked on into a real-game scenario. I know not everyone agrees, but I still think Joerger is doing this right. :)

The Kings get on the plane right after the game to head down to LA to play *that team* in Staples on Tuesday. I'll start that game thread as soon as this game is concluded. I have some goodies to share. :p

GO KINGS!

Spurs can do whatever they want. You think the league is going to give the greatest coach of all time a problem? Sure, fine him. They don't care.
The Nuggets are a crappy team with a 21-18 record?

I would say the Nugs have a lot more talent than the Kings. But, I am not sure Malone is the right coach. Nugs are so bad on Defense. Yet, Malone is known as a defensive coach? I would guess if the Nugs are not Top4 in the West next year, Malone is on the Hot Seat. Their not crappy, but horridly underachieving.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Spurs can do whatever they want. You think the league is going to give the greatest coach of all time a problem? Sure, fine him. They don't care.

I would say the Nugs have a lot more talent than the Kings. But, I am not sure Malone is the right coach. Nugs are so bad on Defense. Yet, Malone is known as a defensive coach? I would guess if the Nugs are not Top4 in the West next year, Malone is on the Hot Seat. Their not crappy, but horridly underachieving.
underachieving? They are missing their best player and all-star and are still 3 games over .500. I think Malone is doing a fine job with that squad. They have a lot of nice complimentary pieces and their defense comes and goes. There are games where they show positive flashes and then there are games such as last night. They are learning how to win too with the nucleus they have set in place right now.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't see how Zach matches up with either Gasol or Aldridge. Put WCS on Aldridge, and Skal on Gasol and let it ride. If Joerger puts Zach out there against either of those bigs, then I just don't get it, especially when you absolutely must run against the Spurs to have a chance, and to run you've got to defend and rebound; it's not like Zach is a defensive or rebounding champion at this time in his career. He is a very good scorer, but his usefulness is pretty much limited to that. Also, the youngins just had a great outing. Why throw ice water on them by going back to the old lineup? Reward their very good performance against a good Denver team by allowing them to play more.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don't see how Zach matches up with either Gasol or Aldridge. Put WCS on Aldridge, and Skal on Gasol and let it ride. If Joerger puts Zach out there against either of those bigs, then I just don't get it, especially when you absolutely must run against the Spurs to have a chance, and to run you've got to defend and rebound; it's not like Zach is a defensive or rebounding champion at this time in his career. He is a very good scorer, but his usefulness is pretty much limited to that. Also, the youngins just had a great outing. Why throw ice water on them by going back to the old lineup? Reward their very good performance against a good Denver team by allowing them to play more.
None of our bigs match up with their 2 bigs.....WCS couldn't stop Aldridge last meeting. Just a tough matchup for us.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
None of our bigs match up with their 2 bigs.....WCS couldn't stop Aldridge last meeting. Just a tough matchup for us.
Let's put it this way: To my mind, Skal doesn't match up with Gasol any less than Zach would. Put Skal on Gasol and play him some minutes.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Let's put it this way: To my mind, Skal doesn't match up with Gasol any less than Zach would. Put Skal on Gasol and play him some minutes.
Kings are better off playing small because one of their bigs will be on the perimeter, play Vince & Malachi at 4. Rebounding is bad as it is so it's going to have to be a collective unit.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm not sure but considering the team had 3 nights off from playing games he could have had the procedure done earlier right?
Speaking as a dude who's gone through a variety of oral surgeries (thanks high school football!), recovery times for these procedures can be a little tricky. Who's to say he didn't have the surgery earlier only to have things not get better fast enough for him to suit up?

Speaking as a dude who's gone through a variety of oral surgeries (thanks high school football!), recovery times for these procedures can be a little tricky. Who's to say he didn't have the surgery earlier only to have things not get better fast enough for him to suit up?
I have had a couple of oral surgeries and I'm not sure that even 3 days is enough recovery time. If he had the surgery the day after the last game, he still may not have enough recovery time to play after 3 days even if there were no complications. Believe me, you don't want to take a blow to the mouth/face area after an oral surgery.

I hope we continue to see the young starting lineup. Seems that since they have all had some experience in games that the next step is playing as a team against NBA starting level talent. IMO now is the time to rest the Vets and/or limit their minutes. If Vlade can make a trade a Vet for a player 25 or younger or a pick I'm also all for that. I like Trey Lyles or Nikola Mirotic as trade options since they both play hard and shoot the 3 well from the PF spot. Mirotic has asked for a trade after his teammate punched him and Lyles is behind a couple of guys in Denver. Either of those guys can help spread the floor for Fox, Bogie and Mason. Should make drives to the hoop easier along with alley oops to Willie and Skal.

As for the Spurs I think they are vulnerable to the young fast ball hawking team we saw beat the Nuggets. Aldridge, Gasol, Tony, Manu and Rudy are not getting any younger so lets test their legs:) Kawhi has a mild shoulder injury and may miss playing the Kings.
GO KINGS!!!

Danny Green, Kawhi and Ginobili are not gonna play 100 %, putting in that group Gasol too imo.

Kings have to get in the paint, because Spurs don't have a shot blocker, Spurs only so called ''center'' Lauvergne has played 246 minutes this year and has got 0 blocks all year.

Best rim protector for the Spurs is Aldridge, Fox just needs to go to the basket almost all the time.

Go Kings.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I have had a couple of oral surgeries and I'm not sure that even 3 days is enough recovery time. If he had the surgery the day after the last game, he still may not have enough recovery time to play after 3 days even if there were no complications. Believe me, you don't want to take a blow to the mouth/face area after an oral surgery.
And that's not even taking into account the sheer difficulty Z-Bo'd have eating right, staying hydrated just in daily life.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll be honest. I won't be here for the beginning of the game. I'm committed to watching Alabama roll! :)

Randolph needs to take the game off so Fox can do his thing and play his game!

The performance De'Aaron had against the Nuggets can happen EVERY game as long as Z-Bo gets OUT HIS WAY!

(And the coach buys a clue).

We know what you can do Z-Bo. Stay home and watch The Bachelor, watch the Alabama game or watch Monday night Raw WWE.

Z-Bo is cool in my book, but we have seen enough. Time to defer to future NBA All-Star De'Aaron Fox. :)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Randolph needs to take the game off so Fox can do his thing and play his game!

The performance De'Aaron had against the Nuggets can happen EVERY game as long as Z-Bo gets OUT HIS WAY!

(And the coach buys a clue).

We know what you can do Z-Bo. Stay home and watch The Bachelor, watch the Alabama game or watch Monday night Raw WWE.

Z-Bo is cool in my book, but we have seen enough. Time to defer to future NBA All-Star De'Aaron Fox. :)
De'Aaron has been on record saying that his lack of aggression is his own doing.