JaKarr Sampson!

Did anyone else catch the post game interview with Lebron? JaKarr apparently trains with Lebron in the off season.

Also in the news is the Suns converting Mike James contract from a 2 way contract to a regular NBA contract. The Suns will make a move to free up a roster spot.

The Kings could use a tough defensive dog like JaKarr. Who would they move to free up a roster spot?

Last edited:
Did anyone else catch the post game interview with Lebron? JaKarr apparently trains with Lebron in the off season.

Also in the news is the Suns converting Mike James contract from a 2 way contract to a regular NBA contract. They Suns will make a move to free up a roster spot.

The Kings could use a tough defensive dog like JaKarr. Who would they move to free up a roster spot?
How about Z-Bo?

I guess come the 15th it could be any veteran. Except with a trade there is usually a player coming back?
I was being facetious about moving Z-Bo. But I do think Joerger depends on Z-Bo too much, and that forces our style of play away from what we really want. It's a catch-22. We need him (for scoring), but we're not the team we want to be with him on the floor.

I did not know Reggie Evans and Quincy Acy fathered a child by the name of JaKarr Sampson, seriously trade two players for 1 and get this guy a contract he deserves, the guy's made more 1 on 1 stops in 2 games against elite scoring/athletic size in LeBron/Giannis than all the rest of the team put together for the entire season.

If he can improve 3 point shot to a league average of 35% that would be great, hopefully he can be our JyMachle Green where he got a chance under Dave due to injuries in Memphis and just brought toughness/rebounding and eventually a 3pointer.

Props to the guy for the past two efforts against guy's that 99.9% of the league would get massacred by.

Sampson always had the ability to impact games by using his athleticism. He had some really good games during his 76ers tenure.

But he cant shoot. And without the ability to shoot from deep, he will always have problems to find minutes in the NBA.

I love his heart, mindset and tenaciousness. It would be great, when his appoach to the Game would rub off to Fox an our other young guns. Just step on the floor and leave it all out there. I absolutely enjoy watching Teams with this kind of mindset.

Last night when I was watching the game if I squinted my eyes really hard I thought I saw a young Dennis Rodman playing for the Kings:eek: 16 rebounds while defending one of the best NBA players ever! Ladies and Gentleman this is intriguing:D

dude12

Hall of Famer
Sampson really does allow us to move out Koufos, not that we couldn't move Koufos before but with the perceived method of protecting our young project bigs in Skal and Papa, Sampson gives us another body to use. Koufos' minutes are dwindling, he's a guy we could move, add in Malachi and get an asset.

Skal wore a tuxedo during games and deserves to be with the Bighorns. Sampson brings a hard hat and a lunch pail. He is a great rebounder and plays tough defense. There is always room on an NBA roster for such a player. He got 6 points last night against Cleveland. Skal often gets around 8 but does not play defense or rebound at anywhere close to Sampson's level. The Kings need a player on the floor at all times with a big motor that works hard. Frank Mason deserves some recognition. He and Bogdan play with a lot of strength. They go through people and get plenty of rebounds and loose balls because of it.

Loved Jakarr since i first saw him in summer league. Jumped off the screen as the perfect developmental prospect as he currently has in game situational usefulness and as mentioned is a 3pt shot away from being a solid rotational guy. I always compared him to fan favorite Cooley and thought Cooley was the very low ceiling type that we should NOT waste time on.

I'd like to score more than 80 points a game, which seems about right if we didn't have Randolph.
Im not so sure. When ZBO comes out many times the scorung has picked up. Id say the most effective offensive punch has been tje combo of Bogs Mason Heild and WCS getting lobs at the basket.

Also, the small sample of games sans ZBo isnt the best indicator of what we should expect as the style pf play is drastically different when he is in the line up versus out that 5 to 10 games should be expected to be needed for players to adjust.

It is also a trade off defensively with ZBo for sure though. As good as he is scoring he is as bad in the other end giving up just as much.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I am not sure that everyone understands that Samson IS contracted and the team need not move anyone to make room for him unless the team wants to play him past the 45 days he is allowed. As far as I understand the two-way contract even after the 45 days in the the NBA, the CONTACT is still valid so Samson would not be able to sign else where. So in theory the team could play him out for the45 days, let him go back to Reno with assurances that the team is committed to bringing him back if possible and signing him in the off season. So in a real way the urgency to make room for him depends on what your expectations for this season are. If you see this season as a continued search for talent (picks) and you are actually hoping for terrible record (picks) then keeping Samson on ice in Reno while developing the the rest of team and positioning for a solid 2018 off season makes sense. If you want to run with the best team we can put together, build a winning culture now then yes we have a problem making room for Samson this season and that could get complicated.

I personally support a cautious approach. Cutting young players or trades that do not bring back better fit talent make no sense right now. I love Samson's play and want him around but loosing talent to make room is counter productive at this point.

I am not sure that everyone understands that Samson IS contracted and the team need not move anyone to make room for him unless the team wants to play him past the 45 days he is allowed. As far as I understand the two-way contract even after the 45 days in the the NBA, the CONTACT is still valid so Samson would not be able to sign else where. So in theory the team could play him out for the45 days, let him go back to Reno with assurances that the team is committed to bringing him back if possible and signing him in the off season. So in a real way the urgency to make room for him depends on what your expectations for this season are. If you see this season as a continued search for talent (picks) and you are actually hoping for terrible record (picks) then keeping Samson on ice in Reno while developing the the rest of team and positioning for a solid 2018 off season makes sense. If you want to run with the best team we can put together, build a winning culture now then yes we have a problem making room for Samson this season and that could get complicated.

I personally support a cautious approach. Cutting young players or trades that do not bring back better fit talent make no sense right now. I love Samson's play and want him around but loosing talent to make room is counter productive at this point.
I might support moving a couple of players to get a nice draft pick in 2018 or 2019.

Sampson always had the ability to impact games by using his athleticism. He had some really good games during his 76ers tenure.

But he cant shoot. And without the ability to shoot from deep, he will always have problems to find minutes in the NBA.

I love his heart, mindset and tenaciousness. It would be great, when his appoach to the Game would rub off to Fox an our other young guns. Just step on the floor and leave it all out there. I absolutely enjoy watching Teams with this kind of mindset.
Yep, he's always been a guy to sort of keep an eye on. Had some awesome, awesome plays with the Sixers and plenty of "daaaammmn" moments.

I don't think the lack of a shot is as big a deterrent as you do for him to be at least a rotational guy. Shooting is of course the most important aspect of the game right now, but probably the second thing most teams are looking for is "bigs" who have the ability to switch on defense and flex into multiple positions. I think Sampson has that ability. And while the 16 boards is an aberration, if he can be at least average for a big, use his ability to switch on defense and play with his "grit/hustle" mentality, then he'll become a valuable piece. If he's adds a 3-ball? Then he's a 12mil/year kind of player.

Yes, so which position would he start, Power Forward or Small Forward?
It really comes down to who a player can defend that determines what position he plays. Who can JaKarr defend? He stayed in front of Lebron pretty well until the Cavs employed the famous GSW system of Pick, Grab and Roll:) Willie is about the only Kings Big who handles the switch with much success. You can double Lebron off that move but he almost always finds the open man.

I would like to see JaKarr as the designated defender. Just put him on any player that is going off and see how it works out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sampson reminds us of how important it is to be a fully grown man,playing the game. Hoping eventually that Fox, Jackson, Skal fill out sooner rather than later....not that they will be built like Sampson but just fill out.
Exactly. That's why the kids need to be brought along like race horses and not just thrown out there before they're fully ready.