Following 2018 draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I mean a few years ago Embiid's injury in no way stopped the Sixers from taking him third. This injury probably puts Doncic, Ayton, and Bagley ahead of Porter for me, but if we're sitting at #4 or #5 and Porter is sitting there, I'm taking him.
with Embiid we at least got to watch him play a few college games. I haven't seen Porter play in any Missouri games, I believe he played only two minutes in the opening game and that's all we have to go by. Well that and a fancy high school highlight reel where everyone looks great.

with Embiid we at least got to watch him play a few college games. I haven't seen Porter play in any Missouri games, I believe he played only two minutes in the opening game and that's all we have to go by. Well that and a fancy high school highlight reel where everyone looks great.
He played in the Nike Hoop Summit and McDonalds game against other top prospects. Not all lost in translation

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He played in the Nike Hoop Summit and McDonalds game against other top prospects. Not all lost in translation
those are glorified pick up games. Not much you can draw from that IMO. Need to see it in a more disciplined setting where players defend and teams scout you for your weaknesses.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
those are glorified pick up games. Not much you can draw from that IMO. Need to see it in a more disciplined setting where players defend and teams scout you for your weaknesses.
I realize that it's a bummer that he's out for the season, but if you go to the internet, you'll find that there's probably more film on Porter than anyone else in the draft. I've seen several of his highschool games, and almost all of the all star games, which by the way, can be far more competitive than the NBA all star game. There's plenty of film on Porter in the U-16, and U-17 games, which are extremely competitive, with US teams playing against all the other countries teams in the world. Porter is very very talented. More talented than Tatum from last years draft in my opinion, and a tall more athletic player than Tatum. My point is, I wouldn't write him off just because you can't watch him play this season.

That said, I would have to be very very sure that his injury won't be something that's chronic.

I realize that it's a bummer that he's out for the season, but if you go to the internet, you'll find that there's probably more film on Porter than anyone else in the draft. I've seen several of his highschool games, and almost all of the all star games, which by the way, can be far more competitive than the NBA all star game. There's plenty of film on Porter in the U-16, and U-17 games, which are extremely competitive, with US teams playing against all the other countries teams in the world. Porter is very very talented. More talented than Tatum from last years draft in my opinion, and a tall more athletic player than Tatum. My point is, I wouldn't write him off just because you can't watch him play this season.

That said, I would have to be very very sure that his injury won't be something that's chronic.
I forgot who but someone tweeted that he’s being told Porter will still be top 5 if healthy by June

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I forgot who but someone tweeted that he’s being told Porter will still be top 5 if healthy by June
Most of the people educated on his game are saying that. As I said, no one doubts his talent. Now it's just a matter of getting healthy enough to impress teams at the combine, or in individual workouts. I think if he can convince teams that he's back to where he was before the injury, and doctors can convince teams that the injury isn't chronic, then I could see him back up in the top three.

Texas vs. Duke. Mo Bamba 26mins 9pts 10rebs 2blks 1to 5PFs on 3-7 FG 0-2 3PT and 3-4FT.

Bamba had a good performance, but foul troubles prevented him from getting into any type of rhythm. Bamba didn't guard Bagley a lot, but Bagley did guard Bamba quite a few times. On offense, Texas didn't really incorporate Bamba because they didn't need to. They were up 10+pts for most of the game until the end. Sucks as someone who wants to scout him, but can't blame the coach too much. Bamba does a really good job on the defensive boards. He boxes out and doesn't cheap out because he has a 7'9 wingspan. I think Bamba is everything as advertised on defense. I just need to see more offense from him. I want to see what he can fully do. I wish Texas would incorporate Bamba a lot more into their offense. I have absolutely no clue what he is capable of..simply because the sample size is extremely small.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Texas vs. Duke. Mo Bamba 26mins 9pts 10rebs 2blks 1to 5PFs on 3-7 FG 0-2 3PT and 3-4FT.

Bamba had a good performance, but foul troubles prevented him from getting into any type of rhythm. Bamba didn't guard Bagley a lot, but Bagley did guard Bamba quite a few times. On offense, Texas didn't really incorporate Bamba because they didn't need to. They were up 10+pts for most of the game until the end. Sucks as someone who wants to scout him, but can't blame the coach too much. Bamba does a really good job on the defensive boards. He boxes out and doesn't cheap out because he has a 7'9 wingspan. I think Bamba is everything as advertised on defense. I just need to see more offense from him. I want to see what he can fully do. I wish Texas would incorporate Bamba a lot more into their offense. I have absolutely no clue what he is capable of..simply because the sample size is extremely small.
The player to watch in this game was Bagley. He was a freaking monster. No offense to Bamba, who I do like, but you have to give Bagley his props. Nice game by Bamba though.

What do you think about Bamba's frame? He's decently cut already, but I worry a bit if he can support another 15-20 pounds.

Definitely agree about the rebounding principles. He goes and gets it at the highest point and he makes an effort to box out, which is a really, really nice combination to have with a dude with his height and wingspan.

Just finished Arizona/SMU and Im going to seriously have a hard time moving Ayton off my #1 this year. I hate over-exaggeration more than anyone and I usually try and avoid comparing young prospects to HoF type of players but I keep getting the feeling Im watching an 18 year old Hakeem Olajuwon clone. The size/speed/athleticism is just unreal for a dude his size, he's phenomenal at controlling the glass on both ends, he's an incredibly hard worker, he shows sophisticated maturity and patience in the post and with his footwork. He's awesome in the PnR, something to look for with Fox/Bogdan too. He keeps the ball high when he's not able to dunk on the lob and doesn't waste motion/time getting the ball back up. He's also shown great touch around the rim. Been a FTA monster in the early going as well; another important aspect for your franchise cornernstone to be

The jumper was bad this game, but I still hold on to my original analysis; he's got a nice form and a quick release, he's going to be a good shooter at the next level. Also, he's shown 0 trouble whatsoever or awkwardness at getting a jumper off when contested; which is a good thing too.

Simply, I see a top 20 NBA player in Ayton and a true franchise cornerstone. Maybe some red flags start popping up later this season, but I highly doubt it. I don't see what gets in his way of being a dominant rebounder/rim protector and a dominant post-offensive big man that can space the floor.

Just finished Arizona/SMU and Im going to seriously have a hard time moving Ayton off my #1 this year. I hate over-exaggeration more than anyone and I usually try and avoid comparing young prospects to HoF type of players but I keep getting the feeling Im watching an 18 year old Hakeem Olajuwon clone. The size/speed/athleticism is just unreal for a dude his size, he's phenomenal at controlling the glass on both ends, he's an incredibly hard worker, he shows sophisticated maturity and patience in the post and with his footwork. He's awesome in the PnR, something to look for with Fox/Bogdan too. He keeps the ball high when he's not able to dunk on the lob and doesn't waste motion/time getting the ball back up. He's also shown great touch around the rim. Been a FTA monster in the early going as well; another important aspect for your franchise cornernstone to be

The jumper was bad this game, but I still hold on to my original analysis; he's got a nice form and a quick release, he's going to be a good shooter at the next level. Also, he's shown 0 trouble whatsoever or awkwardness at getting a jumper off when contested; which is a good thing too.

Simply, I see a top 20 NBA player in Ayton and a true franchise cornerstone. Maybe some red flags start popping up later this season, but I highly doubt it. I don't see what gets in his way of being a dominant rebounder/rim protector and a dominant post-offensive big man that can space the floor.

Don't always agree with you but I am 100% on board with this. Everything about Ayton jumps out and the Olujawon comparison is even more canny than Embiid was. Ayton is actually more coordinated and fluid than Embiid. He looks like he has absolutely everything in his game and to top it off he is massive, with awesome strength and athleticism, and very soft hands. He looks like he could be transcendental to me. I know these are lofty expectations but he really is the most impressive big man I've seen compete in college, and I was a massive fan of Cousins at Kentucky. His play may drop off as the season goes on, but I seriously doubt he'll move from my number 1 spot.

The player to watch in this game was Bagley. He was a freaking monster. No offense to Bamba, who I do like, but you have to give Bagley his props. Nice game by Bamba though.
Bagley played great, but just wanted to give an update on Bamba since it's been relatively quiet on his front. I have Ayton, Doncic, then Bagley. However, Bagley is just this much closer from jumping ahead of Doncic. Doncic has struggled recently while Bagley is making college players look silly.

I'm praying the Kings get a top 4 pick. I want one of Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, or Porter Jr. I'm not a big fan of Bamba for the Kings because I'm seeing him more as a Gobert or Ibaka type player. Whereas the others could be franchise players.

Ayton is extremely dominant. Realistically, any of Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, or Porter Jr can go #1. It'll come down to a team's personal preference and probably need.

Ayton is extremely dominant. Realistically, any of Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, or Porter Jr can go #1. It'll come down to a team's personal preference and probably need.
You take Doncic number 1 and don’t think twice actually make that pick the night of the lottery.

Also I’m still taking Jackson over Bamba went 12-10 last night 2-4 from 3. He started putting the ball on the floor too so when bigs close out on him he’ll be able to take them off the dribble

You take Doncic number 1 and don’t think twice actually make that pick the night of the lottery.

Also I’m still taking Jackson over Bamba went 12-10 last night 2-4 from 3. He started putting the ball on the floor too so when bigs close out on him he’ll be able to take them off the dribble
Jackson is very young. Just turned 18 in September I believe.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Bagley played great, but just wanted to give an update on Bamba since it's been relatively quiet on his front. I have Ayton, Doncic, then Bagley. However, Bagley is just this much closer from jumping ahead of Doncic. Doncic has struggled recently while Bagley is making college players look silly.

I'm praying the Kings get a top 4 pick. I want one of Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, or Porter Jr. I'm not a big fan of Bamba for the Kings because I'm seeing him more as a Gobert or Ibaka type player. Whereas the others could be franchise players.
In all fairness, Gobert is also a franchise player-level talent and I think Bamba has more offensive potential than he did at this relative stage in his basketball life.

I do agree that I only pick him if Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, and Porter are all already off the board though but that's really more an indication of how freaking good the other guys are than an indictment of Mo's chances to be a great player in the league.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So...after tonight's nearly 11 minutes playing 3-on-5 against Minnesota (ranked #14) and basically singlehandedly cutting the deficit by 8 points during that time, Collin Sexton may be looking at going top-5. Not only have I never seen anything like that (3-on-5) but I never imagined I'd see one guy take over that game like that, while 100% gassed. I'm really impressed.

I disagree. I like Doncic, but Ayton is just as good of a prospect.

So...after tonight's nearly 11 minutes playing 3-on-5 against Minnesota (ranked #14) and basically singlehandedly cutting the deficit by 8 points during that time, Collin Sexton may be looking at going top-5. Not only have I never seen anything like that (3-on-5) but I never imagined I'd see one guy take over that game like that, while 100% gassed. I'm really impressed.
I love Sexton. If we didn't already have Fox, I'd seriously consider him for the Kings.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Actually, prior to tonights game, my top ten was:

1. Doncic
2. Ayton
3. Porter
4. Bagley
5. Sexton
6. Bamba
7. Bridges
8. Jaren Jackson
9. Williams
10. Carter

Sexton has been on a tear ever since the season started, I had Duval ahead of him prior to the season, but he has really surprised me. If you looking for a scoring PG, Sexton is your guy. What a show he put on tonight going 3 on 5. Unbelievable!

Does Doncic lack of explosiveness compared to the currently truly great players kind of limit his upside in the NBA? I know he has all the skills and NBA body already but are they that good that you can overlook his athletic ability (which is solid) as a guard in the NBA to draft him #1?

No. I'm a Doncic fan but based on what we've seen so far, he is not a better prospect than Ayton. The latter has potential to be an all-time great big man and possibly be better than Embiid. I don't say that lightly.

Sexton is a big time prospect and young even for a freshman I believe. If we didn't already have Fox, I'd be keeping an even closer eye on him. He could easily go top 5 or 6 by seasons end.

Curious as to what people think of Trae Young and Nick Richards? Young looks very impressive to me, he is deceptively athletic and a really good passer. He reminds me of Harden although he's not as big. Richards also had a brilliant game recently, and he really reminded me of Karl Anthony Towns in that game with his skillset, size and athleticism.

Word out of Norman is that Young is a two-and-done barring a meteoric climb up the board this year.

In regards to Sexton, if he is the best prospect at our draft slot then we have to go ahead and take him. We can’t pass on a talent like that beyond the 3rd pick, IMO. I think our board will be Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, and all of those guys offer something we do not currently have. Any other prospect will be redundant to current talent, and yes I include Porter in that. I have Porter rated as a stretch 4, similar to Skal. Skal was also #1 coming out of high school, with a similar ahletic profile. So, after #3, IMO, any pick would be redundant.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I disagree. I like Doncic, but Ayton is just as good of a prospect.

I love Sexton. If we didn't already have Fox, I'd seriously consider him for the Kings.
Here's the thing about Doncic. I can't find one person I respect that scouts college basketball along with European basketball that doesn't have Doncic as their number one pick in the next draft. If your talking upside, Bagley is the top choice of almost everyone, with Ayton coming in a close second. But when your talking overall talent, there's not one other player in the next draft right now that even comes close to Doncic, and I happen to agree with that. Doncic right now, talent wise, is where every other player in the draft aspires to be. Both Cole Zwicker and Sean Derenthal both say that he's a legit 6'8", and that no one in the coming draft has the skill set that Doncic has. I respect both those guys opinions.

I've watched a ton of game film, and many entire games with Doncic, and offensively, he's one of, if not the most skilled player at his age that I've have ever seen. He makes passes that he shouldn't be able to make. It's as though he reading the minds of the defenders. He's a very good shooter. If there's a knock on his shot, it would be that his release is a tad slow, but it hasn't stopped him from getting his shot off. He doesn't have Jamal Crawford handles, or an explosive first step, but he can get anywhere he wants on the floor, with head fakes, hesitation moves, and the ability to score from anywhere on the floor. His basketball IQ is off the charts.

Of course the looming question is can he defend. I guess we'll see. I would say his lateral quickness is NBA average, but he seems to make up for any lack of athleticism with being smart and knowing his opponent. Personally, I think if who ever drafts him plays him at SF, he'll be fine. But if they decide to play him at SG, they could run into trouble. He's deceptively strong, and is very good at holding position in a post up situation, while at the other end of the court, he's very good at posting up smaller players. In short, he may not have the highest ceiling in the next draft, but without a doubt he has the highest floor with Porter coming in a close second.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No. I'm a Doncic fan but based on what we've seen so far, he is not a better prospect than Ayton. The latter has potential to be an all-time great big man and possibly be better than Embiid. I don't say that lightly.

Sexton is a big time prospect and young even for a freshman I believe. If we didn't already have Fox, I'd be keeping an even closer eye on him. He could easily go top 5 or 6 by seasons end.

Curious as to what people think of Trae Young and Nick Richards? Young looks very impressive to me, he is deceptively athletic and a really good passer. He reminds me of Harden although he's not as big. Richards also had a brilliant game recently, and he really reminded me of Karl Anthony Towns in that game with his skillset, size and athleticism.
The question with Young, is can he sustain what he's doing. With his skill set he reminds me of a taller version of his predecessor, Jawun Evans, who rose up the draft charts last year. Listed at around 6'2", he might look more attractive to teams than Evans did.

If Richards can become consistent with his efforts then people will start to take notice. He's definitely a talent to keep your eye on.

I wasn't to begin with, but am now, a big Doncic fan. The dude has convinced me. Too many times in the past I've passed on solid talent to bet on potential. Too many times the player I passed on became a star, while the potential star became a bust, or a rotational player at best. Ben McLemore anyone?

That's not to say that Ayton hasn't impressed me. He has and then some. Originally I had him in the 4th spot, and now, because of Porter's injury, I have him at number 2. If Porter was healthy, I'd have him at number 2 and Ayton at 3. Some on this forum are seriously underselling Porter. I think he's far more talented than Tatum was last year, and I would have taken him over Wiggins if he had been in that draft. I would have taken Porter over Simmons, but that's without knowing how good Simmons would turn out to be. All I'm saying is that Porter is a serious talent, who still has a high upside, and a very high floor. To my mind, his back is the only issue. If healthy, I can easily see Porter being the number one option on a team, and at worse, the number two option. In other words, a star.

At the end of the day, if the Kings walk away from next years draft with any of Doncic, Porter, Ayton, or Bagley, I won't be unhappy. I haven't made up my mind on Bamba yet. This may sound crazy, but if I had to choose between Bamba and Sexton, I just might take Sexton, and I wouldn't have said that a couple of months ago. That dude knows no fear. I think he's going to be scary good. The jury is still out for me on Jaren Jackson, but he could enter the fray as well. There are a lot of good big's in the coming draft.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Word out of Norman is that Young is a two-and-done barring a meteoric climb up the board this year.

In regards to Sexton, if he is the best prospect at our draft slot then we have to go ahead and take him. We can’t pass on a talent like that beyond the 3rd pick, IMO. I think our board will be Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, and all of those guys offer something we do not currently have. Any other prospect will be redundant to current talent, and yes I include Porter in that. I have Porter rated as a stretch 4, similar to Skal. Skal was also #1 coming out of high school, with a similar ahletic profile. So, after #3, IMO, any pick would be redundant.
Porter is a better athlete than Skal and in my humble opinion, more skilled. But like Skal, it's almost impossible to block his jumpshot. He has a very high release and excellent form. Plus, I see Porter more as a SF who can switch to PF, whereas most scouts saw Skal as a PF who eventually could switch to center.

Does Doncic lack of explosiveness compared to the currently truly great players kind of limit his upside in the NBA? I know he has all the skills and NBA body already but are they that good that you can overlook his athletic ability (which is solid) as a guard in the NBA to draft him #1?
Another thing with someone like Doncic is you have to also realize while he's facing tougher competition than the others will find in college he's also going to be further advanced as a result. He reminds me a lot of his fellow countryman Goran Dragic. I think if you are a team willing to give him the ball to run your offense he could be well worth the #1 pick but because of his lack of anything significantly intangible and with most of his upside being skill related if you don't you'll ultimately be disappointed even if he's a very solid player otherwise.

You can't just take best available with the way the Kings have built an abundance of young players in recent drafts unless it's just the first domino. It's setting the players and the franchsie up for failure. I think Sexton is one of the highest potential scoring players in college, but if the Kings draft him they are taking one of their young diamonds and just flushing it down the toilet whether that be him or someone else.

No way man don’t disrespect Embiid Ayton isn’t on his level as a prospect. Ayton is a bad defender and doesn’t show half the post moves Embiid did. Doncic is a better prospect he is an elite passer and rebounder and projects that way as a shooter. Ayton is only elite at rebounding.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No way man don’t disrespect Embiid Ayton isn’t on his level as a prospect. Ayton is a bad defender and doesn’t show half the post moves Embiid did. Doncic is a better prospect he is an elite passer and rebounder and projects that way as a shooter. Ayton is only elite at rebounding.
I don't totally disagree with you, but I think your appraisal is a tad extreme. I certainly agree that he's not a good post defender right now, or perhaps I should say, he makes stupid mistakes around the post. He'll leave a strong side assignment to help in the post, which is a no no. His rotations are either late, or not at all at times. Where he actually excels on defense is out defending the P&R, or in perimeter isolation on a wing player. He has excellent lateral quickness for player his size. So far, he has a decent to good post game, but I want to see how he fares against tougher competition that's isn't 6'9".

As for the Embiid comparison, there is no comparison. That's not to say that Ayton can't, or won't reach Embiid status, but I wouldn't put a ton of money on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.