How does Bogdanovic look so far?

One item to consider is Bogdan doesn’t have his legs because he hasn’t had of off season of conditioning in quite a while.

He played the Olympics in the summer of 2016. Then he played Euroleague, then this summer he played Eurobasket. You can’t condition fully when prepping for a tournament. Ideally Bogdan would have taken the summer off to condition and learn the Kings system. He choose not to and it’s definately affecting his play.
Not sure I agree with the part about not being able to be conditioned properly when preparing for tournaments.

The sort of training camps that the national team run at Zlatibor (mountain), I think you will find those would rival any NBA team. The problem might be that Bogdan hasn't actually had a break and is not used to playing as many games close together as he is facing in the NBA. Plus games in the NBA are longer.

I like what I see. He's a very skilled player and makes the most of his athleticism. High BBIQ. Will get better, too. Just not sure if the Kings will be better with him as the starting SG, or the first guy off the bench.

Not sure I agree with the part about not being able to be conditioned properly when preparing for tournaments.

The sort of training camps that the national team run at Zlatibor (mountain), I think you will find those would rival any NBA team. The problem might be that Bogdan hasn't actually had a break and is not used to playing as many games close together as he is facing in the NBA. Plus games in the NBA are longer.
True but they are preparing for the tournament. They are not doing 4 months of sustained conditioning/weight training. Since you’re Serbian (I assume) I will compare with Water Polo. The teams condition hard for T -2 months to T-1 month but then they start tapering going into Worlds or the Olympics. You can’t enter the event at full conditioning work out. You have to be rested. Even Dejan doesn’t train the hard right up to the event.

Compare with the ability to condition from May to September.

True but they are preparing for the tournament. They are not doing 4 months of sustained conditioning/weight training. Since you’re Serbian (I assume) I will compare with Water Polo. The teams condition hard for T -2 months to T-1 month but then they start tapering going into Worlds or the Olympics. You can’t enter the event at full conditioning work out. You have to be rested. Even Dejan doesn’t train the hard right up to the event.

Compare with the ability to condition from May to September.
While you think players train for the entire period, its not really true. They take about a month or so off an then slowly start getting back into shape.

History will show that players who actually participate for NT are more ready coming into the season because of the training camps, games and practices they go through with their national team. In Bogdan's case he had about 5 days of rest which is not enough for the body to recover. His season with Fener finished late because they won 3 trophies last year, then within days, he was with the NT for the preparation for Eurobasket. When that finished he was off to Sacramento for the training camp. He had 5 or so days of down time in Greece.

Player that play for the NT are already in rhythm when the season start because of all the games they have in their legs. For Bodgan this year is different. This is a first time in his career he is playing more than 2 times a week. Generally you play Euroleague game on Wednesday or Thursday, then you Turkish league game on Saturday or Sunday...and so around it goes. Cup comes in later in the season when there is generally a bit of a break in the scheduling.

If anything, this summer past, has been the busiest in terms of basketball commitments for Bogdan than any other before that. Not to mention that he was more of a go to man at Fener and the NT than at any point in the past. He has been the man for both teams last season. The workload he has carried has been big and no rest in between. He is a bit tired but he will be OK. He knows how to play. Has been good this year, a bit too unselfish at times.

While you think players train for the entire period, its not really true. They take about a month or so off an then slowly start getting back into shape.

History will show that players who actually participate for NT are more ready coming into the season because of the training camps, games and practices they go through with their national team. In Bogdan's case he had about 5 days of rest which is not enough for the body to recover. His season with Fener finished late because they won 3 trophies last year, then within days, he was with the NT for the preparation for Eurobasket. When that finished he was off to Sacramento for the training camp. He had 5 or so days of down time in Greece.

Player that play for the NT are already in rhythm when the season start because of all the games they have in their legs. For Bodgan this year is different. This is a first time in his career he is playing more than 2 times a week. Generally you play Euroleague game on Wednesday or Thursday, then you Turkish league game on Saturday or Sunday...and so around it goes. Cup comes in later in the season when there is generally a bit of a break in the scheduling.

If anything, this summer past, has been the busiest in terms of basketball commitments for Bogdan than any other before that. Not to mention that he was more of a go to man at Fener and the NT than at any point in the past. He has been the man for both teams last season. The workload he has carried has been big and no rest in between. He is a bit tired but he will be OK. He knows how to play. Has been good this year, a bit too unselfish at times.
Aren’t we saying the same thing? Instead of training and working on skills for 4-5 months he is going through tournament prep.

BTW I think Bogdan is great. I just think he will be better once he hasn’t played 2.5 years straight.

I have strong mixed emotions about Bogdan. He sees the floor and makes good decisions. His shooting will improve, and he is a good assist man. My main concern with him is that his foot speed seems slow kind of like Fredette and maybe Stouskas. I hope I am wrong that he is a better fit in the Euro-League. Anyone that has played basketball knows that feeling when you find yourself in a game with strong competition and the game feels really fast. I hope that he is adjusting to the faster pace and closing of passing windows that happens in the NBA. Every team has great athletesnow even if they don't win a lot.

I have strong mixed emotions about Bogdan. He sees the floor and makes good decisions. His shooting will improve, and he is a good assist man. My main concern with him is that his foot speed seems slow kind of like Fredette and maybe Stouskas. I hope I am wrong that he is a better fit in the Euro-League. Anyone that has played basketball knows that feeling when you find yourself in a game with strong competition and the game feels really fast. I hope that he is adjusting to the faster pace and closing of passing windows that happens in the NBA. Every team has great athletesnow even if they don't win a lot.
That's a pretty fair assessment, but I hope he's our SG for as long as he can bounce a ball. I love his leadership, guts, heads up play. Only thing I've seen to give me any pause is a few lazy turnovers (your reference to passing windows is on the mark)... but his grit on defense, leadership and decision making in real time seems great to me. Love the guy.

Thursday night in the Kings store there were a lot of other people besides me asking where the Bogdonovic jerseys were. (there were none).

Fox
Bogdan
new ringer SF (next draft or FA)
Giles
WCS

bench:
Hield
Jackson
Skal
Mason

In two years that could be a winning 9 man rotation I think... for real playoff runs for a long time. Maybe even win enough games next year to take the sting out of the lost draft pick.

Most of the time he may be best at the 3. That is where he has been starting is at the SF. Quickness is less of a problem, but then size could be. He is kind of a tweener. In the modern NBA the 5 positions have kind of gone out the window. Lots of college teams now start 3 guards and 2 forwards and don't even pretend to have a center.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Here's the thing. Can he play defense? So far, I think he has surprised most people with his defense. What he lacks in lateral quickness, he makes up for in BBIQ and understanding of team defense. Can he create his own shot? So far, most of the shots he's had have been open shots. Unfortunately, he hasn't consistently shot the ball well, but he has the history of being a good shooter, so I'm not too worried about his shooting. In short, I've seen no evidence of him struggling to create his own shot. He has excellent handles and is a very good passer, plus, he's very good at moving without the ball.

I'd like to point out that Jimmer's problem wasn't lack of athleticism, it was his poor ball handling. Way too much is made of athleticism, or lack thereof. If a player is very skilled, being an average athlete doesn't matter. Larry Bird was an average athlete, but was supremely skilled. Don't get me wrong, if your a great athlete and supremely skilled, then your Michael Jordan or Lebron. But there have been a lot of elite athlete's that couldn't make it in the NBA. I think Stauskas problem was between his ears. He was a decent enough athlete, and was skilled enough. When the brass ring came around he couldn't take it. That's on him.

I have seen no evidence of Bogdan's foot speed being an issue. Only issue is the ball is not going through the hoop. Is the ball different in Europe? Anyhow he has been in a complete new environment about a month and is starting in the NBA.

Found it here---> http://www.stack.com/a/basketball-sizes

"Basketball sizes vary by age, gender, and level of play. The official size of the basketball used by the NBA is 29.5 inches in circumference. That's the same size used throughout men's college and high school basketball leagues. The WNBA uses a slightly smaller ball, measuring 28.5 inches in circumference.

For international play, specifically FIBA, the basketball used is what's called a Molten GL7 for men and Molten GL6 for women. These basketballs typically feature two different colors and are slightly bigger, with a 30.7-inch circumference for the men's ball and a 29-inch circumference for the women's."

I have seen no evidence of Bogdan's foot speed being an issue. Only issue is the ball is not going through the hoop. Is the ball different in Europe? Anyhow he has been in a complete new environment about a month and is starting in the NBA.

"Basketball sizes vary by age, gender, and level of play. The official size of the basketball used by the NBA is 29.5 inches in circumference. That's the same size used throughout men's college and high school basketball leagues. The WNBA uses a slightly smaller ball, measuring 28.5 inches in circumference.

For international play, specifically FIBA, the basketball used is what's called a Molten GL7 for men and Molten GL6 for women. These basketballs typically feature two different colors and are slightly bigger, with a 30.7-inch circumference for the men's ball and a 29-inch circumference for the women's."
Yes the ball is different. He had a few since the summer to use.

Coach J quickly realized that Bodgan is a better fit at the 3. He is a hard-nosed defender and strong enough to compete there. Then he doesn't to compete with all the speedy shooting guards in the NBA.

And he is not used to ball we use in the US.

Bogdanovic has always been a good, but very inconsistent 3pt shooter.
This are his shooting splits from last year:
  • In 22 games during the BSL, he shot the 3ball at 32.5%
  • In 22 games during Euroleague, he shot the 3 at 43%
Shows a gigantic disparity. It came to around 37.5%

In the Eurobasket this summer, he shot the 3ball extremely poorly. He attempted 216 3s through 9 games... and only made 29.9%.
Last year in the 2016 Olympics qualifiers Bogdan struggled extremely shooting the 3ball when playing team USA. In 2 games, he went 1-5 and 0-7.

So conspiracy of the ball size doesn't really work.. he's just not as good of a shooter as people around here have been saying he is....

I must be the only guy with zero concern about Bogie's shot. My only worry about him is if we can afford his next contract.

Worries: WCS, Skal, Giles, Paps, Malachi
Non-worries: Bogie, Fox, Heild, Justin, Mason

omg our team is just stupid young

Many posters who have been watching Bogdan a lot longer than myself made clear he can be a streaky shooter, long before he inked his deal with us. He isn't just a shooter. He makes smart plays, plays surprisingly better on defense than I expected, is constantly communicating to teammates on the floor, and plays with a level head.

Our offense overall is an issue, not any ONE player. You can see how a play was supposed to unfold, and that it would have been sweet, but the pass was a little off, or a player was a step behind, etc.

Now I am not saying it's that simple, but I do believe it will look better later on this season, not to mention the seasons ahead. Barring something stupid like running the coach off.

Last edited: