Jahlil Okafor

Have you seen him play? Like actually sat down and watched him?

Joel Embiid and the other guys ahead of him on the depth chart aren't the only reason he's collecting dust.
I have Seen him play quite a bit and still would say that Okafor is a decent scorer. He lost some weight during the offseason and looked a bit more dynamic. His footwork is top notch, got a nice hookshot game and good upfakes. Also not too shabby in faceup situations.
Okafor is stuck on a Philly team, that doesn't want their secondary big to be a scorer. They want rim protection and spot shooting, so that Simmons has free reign when Embiid sits down.
Okafor is like Greg Monroe. Both are pretty good at what they do, but just don't fit all that well in todays league, where teams want to run and play with maximum spacing possible.

We have no asset valuable enough to get Saric. When they want to continue to play Amir Johnson and Holmes as Backup bigs, they need Saric or another big wing, that can shoot.
Literally all the 76ers have to do is trade Okafor for something of value and let their team grow together.
Well and hope Embiid can stay healthy of course....

Hield has not shown anymore potential than Okafor. Both are probably always going to be net negative defenders.. but at least Okafor will be able to guard post players.
Think about who you would have to pair with Okafor. He does not stretch the floor, he does not rebound and he does not defend at all. Can't play WCS because neither stretch. Skal can stretch a bit but the interior defense would be awful. Koufos is an obvious no. So who is going to be paired with him?

In that case, who could you pair with him in the league in general? Draymond Green is about the only guy I think you could successfully pair with him. You would need a PF who can shoot 3's, check big men, block shots in the paint and rebound. Those types of players don't grow on trees.

https://thesixersense.com/2017/10/30/philadelphia-76ers-likely-get-zilch-trading-away-jahlil-okafor/

Sounds like there's not much interest in him. Now I would dump Sampson and take a flyer on him but I wouldn't trade anyone on the roster other than ZBo for the guy.

This is an interesting debate. I see too few games of any of these players to weight in with strong opinion, however, seems Joerger has a reputation of making good use of slow bigs.
Also if there is any trade involving Buddy, doubtful, hope it equates to a starting caliber SF. Im liking Bogdan as our starting SG and am more fixated on filling the SF need than any other position.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I'm not sure if Jahlil's flaws are from his lack of intensity because he does not want to be a Sixer anymore and not getting playing time or if he is actually as bad as he sounds. You guys make him sound like a worse defender/bigman than WCS.. Can anyone who has watched him comment?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Can't we just trade WCS for Okafor? Is that a thing that can happen?

I'd trade Willie for a half-empty coke and a deflated basketball at this point.

I especially wouldn't give anything of value for Okafor at this point. IMO the option only added value to his value for a team taking a chance on him. Now you have to sign him to a new contract in the off-season after trying to incorporate him on the fly.

Okafor is 21. Hield and WCS are how old? Neither one has more talent than Okafor. I don't see WCS amounting to anything but a 7-11 option on any team. The same for Hield.
Okafor is terrible defensively, but will still be more effective than WCS. Offensively, Okafor scores and rebounds better.

Since Philly seems to feel that their "Process" is almost complete, maybe we can send them a quality back up center in Kosta Koufos and a 2nd rounder for Jahil Okafor.

Since Joel Embiid is constantly hurt, KK can serve as his backup center and Philly gets a 2nd rounder also.

For the Kings, I can see Jahil Okafor getting playing time right away on this team. If WCS doesn't play with more fire and consistency, I could see Okafor starting at center over WCS.

I think Okafor is capable of being a consistent 17 pts and 8 rebound per game center in the league. I also think his defense can become serviceable in the right system, don't forget that DMC's defense was pretty weak when he first came into the league.

Since Philly seems to feel that their "Process" is almost complete, maybe we can send them a quality back up center in Kosta Koufos and a 2nd rounder for Jahil Okafor.

Since Joel Embiid is constantly hurt, KK can serve as his backup center and Philly gets a 2nd rounder also.

For the Kings, I can see Jahil Okafor getting playing time right away on this team. If WCS doesn't play with more fire and consistency, I could see Okafor starting at center over WCS.

I think Okafor is capable of being a consistent 17 pts and 8 rebound per game center in the league. I also think his defense can become serviceable in the right system, don't forget that DMC's defense was pretty weak when he first came into the league.
They have Amir Johnson and RaShaun Holmes the latter in particular they are going to keep developing when he's healthy at the C position, KK might be the last Kings player they would want/need.

Before we even consider trading anyone for Okafor, are we sure he would even sign a contract to remain a King?
After what he is going through in philly, if he has a good experience and good playing time with the kings, I'm sure we would have an excellent chance of re-signing him in the off season.

Okafor is 21. Hield and WCS are how old? Neither one has more talent than Okafor. I don't see WCS amounting to anything but a 7-11 option on any team. The same for Hield.
Okafor is terrible defensively, but will still be more effective than WCS. Offensively, Okafor scores and rebounds better.
Pretty much any advanced stat says WCS is a good bit better than Okafor.

There is one other problem with trading for Okafor or Hezonja. When their options weren't picked up it did 2 things. 1. They will be FAs at the end of the season. 2. Their current teams (or whoever trades for them) are limited on what they can offer them. I don't remember what it is for Okafor, but for Hezonja it is $5.2 million. Other teams have no such limitations.

I would also have a look at Justin Anderson/Trey Lyles who are in similar positions to Okafor
They're interesting guys, but I think more people are interested in Okafor because he has the potential to be a 20ppg scorer, while Anderson and Lyles are more likely to be rotational players.