Frank Mason looks good in first pre-season game

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Mason impressed in his first preseason game. He reminds me of IT in terms of being a great competitor, but not nearly as one-dimensional. Fox is the real deal, unlike Jimmer, but Mason will not take seconds (or thirds) easily. This is going to be fun.
Frank has a lot of IT in his game both in his slight heroball "I'm taking this shot whether you like it or not" demeanor and overall skillset. For short dudes, both guys are probably stronger than they are fast. The big thing that Frank probably has over IT is that, while he's undersized, he still looks bigger than IT, and, additionally probably a little more committed to playing team defense than IT was in his stint with the Kings. Now, IT probably had the bigger chip on his shoulder than Frank did and probably came into the league as a better scorer than Mason did but it's certainly not a horrible comparison. (Not pegging the dude to be a future MVP candidate though)

Mason impressed for sure. I don't think he will ever be able to overcome his defensive deficiencies due to his size, but he's definitely game. Had ice in his veins on that three point shot he had to chuck over the taller defenders head with the shot clock running out. He also got by his man more than I was expecting since he's not really a speedster. Also got in there and crashed the boards as well. I'm curious to see how he adjusts once teams start scouting him.

It's kind of funny how the "fearless" label has been placed upon him. I've noticed they only put that label on shorter players.

Frank has a lot of IT in his game both in his slight heroball "I'm taking this shot whether you like it or not" demeanor and overall skillset. For short dudes, both guys are probably stronger than they are fast. The big thing that Frank probably has over IT is that, while he's undersized, he still looks bigger than IT, and, additionally probably a little more committed to playing team defense than IT was in his stint with the Kings. Now, IT probably had the bigger chip on his shoulder than Frank did and probably came into the league as a better scorer than Mason did but it's certainly not a horrible comparison. (Not pegging the dude to be a future MVP candidate though)
For goodness sakes can we please stop digging that rabbit hole?!

10-deep rotation maybe 11 - if not - bah-humbug - totally on the coach. That would be a nice upside for minutes distribution and injury prevention. This team may surprise pleasantly - high 30s in wins seems more plausible than I thought earlier on first impression.

Mason reminds of Jameer Nelson a little bit. No lack of confidence there.

I'd take Frank Mason over IT even today.

IT just doesn't have the right mentality for being a team player unless he's the #1. Good for him that he found a team where he can be that. But I don't want to hitch my wagon to IT, and you have to, if he's on your team. Your entire offense has to be geared around him.

Oh, and FM3 looks like a better 3pt shooter. Like, potential to shoot 45% type shooter. For a 6th man PG type, that is exactly the skill you want, and pairs nicely with Fox, for a potential future uber scoring small ball backcourt.

Did we seriously go from almost no long term solution at PG to the best PG depth in the league in one offseason? Is that what I'm seeing here??!??!

I'd take Frank Mason over IT even today.

IT just doesn't have the right mentality for being a team player unless he's the #1. Good for him that he found a team where he can be that. But I don't want to hitch my wagon to IT, and you have to, if he's on your team. Your entire offense has to be geared around him.

Oh, and FM3 looks like a better 3pt shooter. Like, potential to shoot 45% type shooter. For a 6th man PG type, that is exactly the skill you want, and pairs nicely with Fox, for a potential future uber scoring small ball backcourt.

Did we seriously go from almost no long term solution at PG to the best PG depth in the league in one offseason? Is that what I'm seeing here??!??!
Wait until the Kings Team plays a few televised games and the trade offers start rolling in from Fans trying to snatch the Kings Young Guns:)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Mason impressed for sure. I don't think he will ever be able to overcome his defensive deficiencies due to his size, but he's definitely game. Had ice in his veins on that three point shot he had to chuck over the taller defenders head with the shot clock running out. He also got by his man more than I was expecting since he's not really a speedster. Also got in there and crashed the boards as well. I'm curious to see how he adjusts once teams start scouting him.

It's kind of funny how the "fearless" label has been placed upon him. I've noticed they only put that label on shorter players.
Size certainly limits how a player can defend but it does not mean they can't. Doug Christie credits the Bobby Jackson with helping him bring defensive intensity to the Kings. Also from my seat it was Bobby's defense along with his BB IQ that convinced Adelman to sit Williams in 4th quarters opting for B Jax instead. When we watch the undersized guards in the contemporary game it is easy to point out that guys like Isiah, and Boykins do not defend well, but when we look at guards in general most of them don't defend all that well and Harden is an all star with out playing any. This is why guys like Connolly are so highly prized.

Now there is no way Mason is going to become a stopper, or defend face up shooing, but he could become a Ronnie Price type pest.

So you would take an untested rookie over last year's MVP candidate and all-star?
That helps explain why the Kings haven't had a winning season in a decade.

So you would take an untested rookie over last year's MVP candidate and all-star?
That helps explain why the Kings haven't had a winning season in a decade.
Two questions:
1. Who or what are you responding to?
2. Assuming you’re responding to The Hammer, how does one person’s post explain why the Kings haven’t had a winning season in a decade?

I really liked the George Hill signing and I'm glad he's on the team, but I would not be surprised if Mason and Fox earn minutes to the point where George Hill becomes more valuable as a trade option than an on-court asset. I'm not there yet, but both young guys seem ahead of where you would expect a rookie PG to be. Our guard situation under Vlade quickly went from "meh" to "what are we going to do with all this young talent?"

I love that he adjusted quickly. He had an ok preseason but looked really comfortable going head to head with damien lilard. Read Frankie's player tribune. He's got that IT heart

I really liked the George Hill signing and I'm glad he's on the team, but I would not be surprised if Mason and Fox earn minutes to the point where George Hill becomes more valuable as a trade option than an on-court asset. I'm not there yet, but both young guys seem ahead of where you would expect a rookie PG to be. Our guard situation under Vlade quickly went from "meh" to "what are we going to do with all this young talent?"
Best case scenario would be Fox and Mason look good enough to start and backup while we flip Hill for a need like a defensive/rebounding minded SF or big man.

What is Frank Mason's contract situation? As a second round pick is he a Free Agent sooner?
Yes! From that site--> Signed 3-yr deal on Thursday, July 13, 2017.
He may have a 3 yr deal, but can he opt out after year 1 or 2? I'm thinking of Gilbert Arenas when I ask that question. I recall that the Warriors options were limited trying to match outside offers. I believe the rules have changed since then, but that doesn't mean the Kings are in the clear should he show a lot of promise.

Best case scenario would be Fox and Mason look good enough to start and backup while we flip Hill for a need like a defensive/rebounding minded SF or big man.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if that happened. We have so much youth I'm hard pressed to say what exactly our needs are/might be before seeing exactly how these young guys develop. It's weird following a team with so much promise but having no idea what to expect this season.