Following 2018 draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you get that measurement? I've been looking all over of some info on him. Would be grateful for a reference.
Apparently he measured at 8' 9.5" and weighed 228 at a summer testing at P3 training center in California.

Is Luka Dončić 2018 NBA draft 1st pick?

He has a 8'9 1/2 Standing Reach
Here's P3 comments on him based on 2016 summer measurements/testing:

Luka has spent a few weeks at P3 the past two summers. Luka combines outstanding anthropometric measurements, including an 8'9.5" standing reach (88th percentile for NBA guards) and 228.8 lbs of mass with very competitive and improving movement qualities. In the lateral plane, Luka's ability to abduct the hip (1 dev above the mean) allows him to generate Force more efficiently than most NBA players that we've assessed (71st percentile in lateral acceleration). He's become particularly adept in a change-of-direction environment, where his Slide Agility times outpace most NBA Guards tested at P3 and they've improved by roughly 0.25s in the past year. Vertically, Luka ranks better than 73% of NBA guards in height touched during the approach and his improved his countermovement jump by 2 inches in the past year. He's good now, he's still getting better, and he's well within his physical development window!

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1584464#p58586672

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Apparently he measured at 8' 9.5" and weighed 228 at a summer testing at P3 training center in California.

Is Luka Dončić 2018 NBA draft 1st pick?

He has a 8'9 1/2 Standing Reach
Here's P3 comments on him based on 2016 summer measurements/testing:

Luka has spent a few weeks at P3 the past two summers. Luka combines outstanding anthropometric measurements, including an 8'9.5" standing reach (88th percentile for NBA guards) and 228.8 lbs of mass with very competitive and improving movement qualities. In the lateral plane, Luka's ability to abduct the hip (1 dev above the mean) allows him to generate Force more efficiently than most NBA players that we've assessed (71st percentile in lateral acceleration). He's become particularly adept in a change-of-direction environment, where his Slide Agility times outpace most NBA Guards tested at P3 and they've improved by roughly 0.25s in the past year. Vertically, Luka ranks better than 73% of NBA guards in height touched during the approach and his improved his countermovement jump by 2 inches in the past year. He's good now, he's still getting better, and he's well within his physical development window!

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1584464#p58586672
That's probably more info than I needed, but thanks. If his standing reach is indeed 8'9.5", then he's capable of playing SF. Don't know if that's his best position or not, but with his skill set, you might be able to put him just about anywhere.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That's probably more info than I needed, but thanks. If his standing reach is indeed 8'9.5", then he's capable of playing SF. Don't know if that's his best position or not, but with his skill set, you might be able to put him just about anywhere.
While reach is definitely important, I'm more concerned about his quickness and lateral mobility than anything else. Should be interesting seeing him work against a crafty guy like Bogdan.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
While reach is definitely important, I'm more concerned about his quickness and lateral mobility than anything else. Should be interesting seeing him work against a crafty guy like Bogdan.
Well, if he has to guard a position, and quickness is a problem, then guarding the SF position is definitely easier from a quickness point of view than guarding a SG or a PG. That's why I'm interested in his height and length. I think his chances of being successful defensively would be better at SF. Although I've read some scouting reports that said his lateral quickness and awareness have improved, so it may be a moot point.

One thing is for sure. Just about every scout I know says that Doncic comes as close to being a sure bet as there is. He's done things in the FIBA at 18 years of age that no European player has ever done before. They all agree that he's not an elite athlete, but then point out that neither was Larry Bird, or Dirk Nowitski, or Kevin McHale etc. One said that Doncic has the highest floor of anyone in next years draft. That's high praise.

BREAKING NEWS / NBC: The FBI has arrested several NCAA asst. basketball coaches in a corruption scheme.

The four assistant coaches accused of taking bribes of between $13,000 and $100,000 to convince players to hire Dawkins and other advisers were identified as Chuck Person of Auburn University, Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State University, Emanuel Richardson of the University of Arizona, and Anthony Bland of the University of Southern California.

Also arrested was James Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas, who was accused of paying the families of high-school standouts to sign with two universities that had sponsorship deals with the apparel giant.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...y-took-bribes-agents-deliver-athletes-n804781
I'm surprised the FBI are the ones who actually stepped in.

HS recruiting is extremely shady on all levels.

One has to wonder how much collateral damage there will be once the smoke settles. I think a lot of coaches and assistant coaches are hunkering down. out of sight right now. hoping the FBI doesn't come knocking.
All schools are involved in some kind of skimpy recruiting, but I guess it'll come down to whether or not they did it "legally" vs "illegally". As of right now, I don't see any of the top prospects being affected.

On one hand, I think these teams, agents, and companies are exploiting teenagers and their families. On the other, it's a positive financial gain for these families.

Maybe we should allow a European development approach.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
All schools are involved in some kind of skimpy recruiting, but I guess it'll come down to whether or not they did it "legally" vs "illegally". As of right now, I don't see any of the top prospects being affected.

On one hand, I think these teams, agents, and companies are exploiting teenagers and their families. On the other, it's a positive financial gain for these families.

Maybe we should allow a European development approach.
Well it's been my opinion for some time that the players should be compensated in some way. The schools support their entire sports program with the money they make off NCAA football in general and with NCAA basketball coming in second. It's so stupid,that if a coach buys a player a hamburger that player might be deemed ineligible.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never heard that giving money to a player is a criminal offense. It's certainly an NCAA offense, but with the FBI involved, there has to be more going on than just paying off players. Money laundering perhaps?

Well it's been my opinion for some time that the players should be compensated in some way. The schools support their entire sports program with the money they make off NCAA football in general and with NCAA basketball coming in second. It's so stupid,that if a coach buys a player a hamburger that player might be deemed ineligible.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never heard that giving money to a player is a criminal offense. It's certainly an NCAA offense, but with the FBI involved, there has to be more going on than just paying off players. Money laundering perhaps?
Woj has a good podcast where they go into it some. It sounds like a big part of it was asst. coaches taking money to try and influence players decisions.

Monster game for Doncic at the start of the new Euroleague season.
27 points (9/14 FG, 6/7 ft), 4 assists , 4 rebounds for only 26 minutes.

Hmm, maybe we're seeing an evolution in Doncic's game. He was a better playmaker and facilitator at 16yearsold than he is now. However now, he's improved as a scorer. I'm starting to see Doncic less as a floor general, and more wing that can handle the ball. Instead of a Lonzo, more of a Gordon Hayward.

geez Doncic, thanks for throwing away all of my scouting notes from the past 2 years lol.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hmm, maybe we're seeing an evolution in Doncic's game. He was a better playmaker and facilitator at 16yearsold than he is now. However now, he's improved as a scorer. I'm starting to see Doncic less as a floor general, and more wing that can handle the ball. Instead of a Lonzo, more of a Gordon Hayward.

geez Doncic, thanks for throwing away all of my scouting notes from the past 2 years lol.
I doubt he forgot how to be a facilitator. Sometimes when your asked to carry more of the offensive load, it can take away from the other things your good at. If your asked to score more, that means you become less likely to pass the ball. Instead you shoot it. Therefore, your assist numbers go down. A simplification, but I think you get what I mean. I think Doncic is developing into a player that can do anything that's asked of him. If the Kings end up with a top five pick, I'm happy! But I would prefer a top two pick. Porter and Doncic both fit very well into what the Kings need. That said, I wouldn't cry over ending up with Bagley, Ayton, or Bamba.

If we slide out of the top five, then my next target is probably Miles Bridges. Let me be clear though, I saying this now, and that may change 10 games into the college season. Can't wait for the season to start.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's really strange lol. I'm thinking he can handle both roles as a primary playmaker or primary scorer. This brings for lots of versatility in various lineups. The kid is just really talented.

Yeah, he's certainly making a case for being the first pick in the draft. Sill early though. I can't wait to see who the dark horse is that emerges from the pack this year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kevin Knox...all the tools in an NBA body.
He's on my, to watch list. Along with many others. I'm going into this season assuming that the Kings will have a top five pick. However, one has to be prepared for different outcomes. Perhaps even another trade on draft day where we trade down. I seriously doubt that the Kings would be looking for another two for one deal with so much youth already on the team, but you don't want to get caught with your pants down.

Doncic is a generational player I want and need him with our young talent if we get a top 3 pick id trade one of our you guys and the pick for Doncic

Example of lottery teams who get the 1st pick:

Chicago: 3/WCS for Doncic
Dallas: 3/Hield
NY: wouldn’t trade Doncic

Doncic PER is now at 30 we New he had all world vision and passing now he’s averaging 23ppg

Seriously I’d package any player but Fox/Bogdan plus our pick to go 1. Fox- Bogdan-Doncic is special Than add in Skal whose improving by the game

Doncic is a generational player I want and need him with our young talent if we get a top 3 pick id trade one of our you guys and the pick for Doncic

Example of lottery teams who get the 1st pick:

Chicago: 3/WCS for Doncic
Dallas: 3/Hield
NY: wouldn’t trade Doncic

Doncic PER is now at 30 we New he had all world vision and passing now he’s averaging 23ppg

Seriously I’d package any player but Fox/Bogdan plus our pick to go 1. Fox- Bogdan-Doncic is special Than add in Skal whose improving by the game
I'd have no problem packaging Bogdan. Yeah he's looked nice so far in the NBA, but he's already 25 which implies that he's probably near the peak of his game development. I think as long as the Kings have a top 5 pick, we should be good to go in this draft.

I'd have no problem packaging Bogdan. Yeah he's looked nice so far in the NBA, but he's already 25 which implies that he's probably near the peak of his game development. I think as long as the Kings have a top 5 pick, we should be good to go in this draft.
Lol NO he’s a year old than Buddy you take Bogdan over Buddy everyday.

Lol NO he’s a year old than Buddy you take Bogdan over Buddy everyday.
If you're talking about including him in a trade for the #1 pick, I'd do it. You didn't say anything about Buddy.... Bogdan is not an untouchable. Only untouchable I see on this team is our 2018 pick, Fox, and Skal.

Kevin Knock in a preseason game vs. a not so good team

He had 27pts, but 20 of those come from transition or fouls in transition. In this vid, I don't see much of a half-court offense from him. 3pt release is looking a little funky, but haven't really looked at his shot in depth.

meh. He looks really athletic and long though.

If you're talking about including him in a trade for the #1 pick, I'd do it. You didn't say anything about Buddy.... Bogdan is not an untouchable. Only untouchable I see on this team is our 2018 pick, Fox, and Skal.
I’m saying no way you chose to trade Bogdan over Hield

bajaden

Hall of Famer
While I agree on Doncic, I don't agree on Bog's. Package someone else and I'm on board. I disagree with the idea that at age 25 a player is done developing. First, he's still getting up to speed at playing in the NBA, so we don't really know how good he'll be once he is up to speed. Second, in the European championships, I could easily make the case that Bogdan was a better player than Doncic, not that it matters, but there's no guarantee that once in the NBA, Doncic will be better than Bogdan. Not saying he won't, just saying.

My point is, I'd rather include Buddy in a trade to move up than Bogdan. Reason being, that Bogdan is a better all around player that's proven he can play at the highest level in Europe. Buddy has yet to prove he can even shoot the ball consistently in the NBA, much less become the defender, passer, and ball handler that Bogdan is. Bogdan is a more proven asset, and I'm not for trading proven assets. Just my humble opinion!:rolleyes:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kevin Knock in a preseason game vs. a not so good team

He had 27pts, but 20 of those come from transition or fouls in transition. In this vid, I don't see much of a half-court offense from him. 3pt release is looking a little funky, but haven't really looked at his shot in depth.

meh. He looks really athletic and long though.
Pretty hard to look at his shot in depth when they haven't even started their season yet. Lets not get premature, OK? All I have to go on with Knox is some highschool footage and a couple of highschool all star games. I don't put a lot of emphasis on either of those. This Kentucky team is going to take some time to get their act together. Not many players on the team with experience. Lets see what happenes when them go up against a good team with experience. All that said, Knox looks like a player with a future. My hope is that he never enters the conversation when were picking because were picking too high to take him.

I feel like Doncic is destined to be a King, like Fox was and Willie before that. The combination of Vlade being GM, Kings will be in the mix for top pick, we obviously have a huge need at SF. Fox/Bogdan/Doncic/Skal/Giles just sounds like a fun modern lineup.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I feel like Doncic is destined to be a King, like Fox was and Willie before that. The combination of Vlade being GM, Kings will be in the mix for top pick, we obviously have a huge need at SF. Fox/Bogdan/Doncic/Skal/Giles just sounds like a fun modern lineup.
Right now, at this moment, Doncic looks like he would be the perfect choice. Having five players that can all shoot, pass, and handle is the perfect five in todays NBA. If they can also defend then you really have something. Doncic appears to be a better athlete than I first thought. One of my biggest questions about Bogdan was whether he could defend or not, and so far, he's better than I thought he would be. Perhaps that will be true of Doncic as well. Having said all that, Porter is a very good ball handler and passer as well. So the world wouldn't end if he ended up being our choice.. I plan on keeping one eye on Bridges as well.

This dude is 7’1-250 just wow between him, Doncic, and Bagley we need to get a top 3 pick. Porter and Bamba are nice consolation prizes as well

Status
Not open for further replies.