Randolph arrested

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Former Memphis Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph could face similar penalties ex-teammate O.J. Mayo received in terms of being banned from the NBA for violation of the league's anti-drug policy.

Randolph was arrested Wednesday and charged with “intent to sell” marijuana in Los Angeles. TMZ reported it was two pounds of marijuana.

The league’s collective bargaining agreement with the players’ association says a player will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, no contest or nolo contendere to, a crime involving the felony distribution of marijuana.

Mayo was dismissed and disqualified from the NBA in 2016 for violating the terms of the league's anti-drug program, the first player to receive that punishment in a decade

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...-nba-if-convicted-marijuana-charge/560838001/

So even if a plea deal keeps him out of jail, if felony distribution still there, sounds like his career and his 2 yr contract with us is Toast

FANTASTIC role model! Of the consequences of venal behavior!

Chris Webber also came with baggage and risks. I do not put the blame on Vlade for this at all.
Chris Webber also came in his prime and his production was worth even more than what we were paying him.

Randolph at this point in his career is paid (handsomely) to primarily mentor our young bigs and help develop this culture. How do you look past his drug history and the job your asking him to do and still hand him 2 years of guaranteed money? Im going to have to disagree with not putting this on Vlade at all. To some degree (in my opinion all) this falls on Vlade.

Chris Webber also came in his prime and his production was worth even more than what we were paying him.

Randolph at this point in his career is paid (handsomely) to primarily mentor our young bigs and help develop this culture. How do you look past his drug history and the job your asking him to do and still hand him 2 years of guaranteed money? Im going to have to disagree with not putting this on Vlade at all. To some degree (in my opinion all) this falls on Vlade.
Of course, picking Fox and Papa and everything else falls on Vlade by I don't "blame" him or believe he made a mistake in signing Randolph. If he is still with us he will probably do a good job for the team doing what they hired him for. Hr would probably be a leader in discouraging the young folk from using drugs. Let us let the matters settle themselves and move on usefully with him or without him.

Vlade signed the paperwork so as a business leader the buck starts and stops with him regardless of if this was a coaching signing or not.

In Vlade's favor and in line with his judgement i will say this: you would think after 10 years moved on from the Blazer Z-Bo, through time in Memphis being a fan favorite and doing a lot of work in the community, you would think Z had moved on from this type of thing. I dont question Vlade's judgement in signing the paperwork and formalizing the deal. I view this as purely circumstantial.

From a social perspective id put Darren Collison's beating of his wife as a significantly worse crime. We kept Darren even though he pled guilty to domestic battery charges. I am not trying to apply precedent here but i think we need to realize that the FO will ride this under their own steam and if they truly feel that Z is still value under the contract he signed and not legally sanctioned then we will keep him.

I dont believe that culture change etc is at the absolute utter center of all we do. It was the justified means as to why we traded Cousins but that does not mean every move we make will be ratified under that justification.

Im i strong advocate for legalization. That said, it is not yet legal at the federal level and dealing without a permit is clearly not legal at state or federal level.

Its one thing to take a risk if you own very little and stand to make a great deal of cash. Risk versus reward might make some sense then....but when you already have millions of dollars in the bank you have a HUGE amount to loose and little compartively to gain. Increadibly dumb of him.

Kinda undermines his ability to play "role model" and be taken seriously right after having your stupidity broadcasted across the country.

dude12

Hall of Famer

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The bigger the paycheck the bigger the party makes way more sense than him selling it because that makes no sense. He doesnt need the money. They would actually need proof on that end. Didn't say it was smart on his end, just makes more sense than the "intent to sell" part of it.
I agree! I'd be stunned if he was selling. As you said, he doesn't need the money. I think he just wanted to be the biggest dog on the block. I do think it's fair to question his judgement and that's as kindly as I can put it.

I agree! I'd be stunned if he was selling. As you said, he doesn't need the money. I think he just wanted to be the biggest dog on the block. I do think it's fair to question his judgement and that's as kindly as I can put it.
I don't know if the legal definition of "intent to distribute" includes a half ounce of dank weed as party favors to his informal body guards and inner circle so each of them could have their own little set of groupies puffing on the crypto kush kicked down by the man of the hour. But if it does, then he's guilty of it.

Last edited:
http://www.tmz.com/2017/08/31/zach-randolph-charged-weed-possession-resisting-arrest/

Looks like Randolph was charged with misdemeanor possession and misdemeanor resisting arrest. I assume that means that he'll be playing for the Kings this year, after the first 5-8 games or so. But that's just a guess.
Does this mean the case is settled or is Randolph going to fight these misdemeanor charges?

I think it is best for Randolph and the Kings for him to just own this misdemeanor charge and take his suspension from the league like a man.

This way, he and the Kings can move on with the season without any further distractions.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Does this mean the case is settled or is Randolph going to fight these misdemeanor charges?

I think it is best for Randolph and the Kings for him to just own this misdemeanor charge and take his suspension from the league like a man.

This way, he and the Kings can move on with the season without any further distractions.
The article just says that he was charged. He obviously can choose to have his day in court if he wants it. I haven't seen any indication of whether he will fight it but I'm sure we'll hear sooner or later.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The article just says that he was charged. He obviously can choose to have his day in court if he wants it. I haven't seen any indication of whether he will fight it but I'm sure we'll hear sooner or later.
We'll have to see what the league decides. I suspect it will be as you indicated, a 5 to 8 game suspension, but you never know. If the league wants to set an example, Randolph is the perfect player for that. He's at the end of his career, so it wouldn't be like your hitting him in his prime. Just because the state of California decides to make it a misdemeanor doesn't mean the league has to. I have mixed feelings about it. I'd hate to see Randolph go out like this, but at the same time, I don't appreciate his stupidity.

I'm thinking he'll ultimately plead to something even less than the misdemeanors he was charged with. So ultimately we'll see him plead to one count of misdemeanor poss'n or something like that. I don't think that would warrant a big NBA suspension.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm thinking he'll ultimately plead to something even less than the misdemeanors he was charged with. So ultimately we'll see him plead to one count of misdemeanor poss'n or something like that. I don't think that would warrant a big NBA suspension.
Well a plea is nothing more than an admission of guilt to get a lesser sentence. What the NBA cares about it the guilty part. Anyway, if I'm Randolph I'd be holding my breath until the NBA rules on this.

Well a plea is nothing more than an admission of guilt to get a lesser sentence. What the NBA cares about it the guilty part. Anyway, if I'm Randolph I'd be holding my breath until the NBA rules on this.
Yes, I think that is correct. I'm thinking Randolph's attorney is going to be crafting a plea deal with the DA such that he admits the bare minimum amount of conduct necessary to the plea and such that the NBA has very little facts to work with. The NBA isn't going to fine or suspend him on the allegations that were made - it will be based only on the factual record, I suspect. So if his attorney is worth his salt, that plea deal is going to be as factually devoid of facts as possible because it will give the NBA very little to work with.

You know not to make light of this case, but with legalization around the corner in this state I see a corporate sponsorship possibility.

I mean we already have "The Pizza Guy"! What next?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know not to make light of this case, but with legalization around the corner in this state I see a corporate sponsorship possibility.

I mean we already have "The Pizza Guy"! What next?
You aren't going to see a corporate sponsorship of something that is still illegal at the national level.

Seriously, people can argue the pros and cons of legalization, etc. but that's not what this is all about. Zach Randolph knowingly did something he knew would get him in trouble and possibly jeopardize his future in the NBA and he did it anyway. I hope those few hours were worth $24 million because that's what it still could cost him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes, I think that is correct. I'm thinking Randolph's attorney is going to be crafting a plea deal with the DA such that he admits the bare minimum amount of conduct necessary to the plea and such that the NBA has very little facts to work with. The NBA isn't going to fine or suspend him on the allegations that were made - it will be based only on the factual record, I suspect. So if his attorney is worth his salt, that plea deal is going to be as factually devoid of facts as possible because it will give the NBA very little to work with.
I cannot see the DA doing that for the simple reason it doesn't benefit him in any way to do so.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/08/31/zach-randolph-charged-weed-possession-resisting-arrest/
Looks like Randolph was charged with misdemeanor possession and misdemeanor resisting arrest. I assume that means that he'll be playing for the Kings this year, after the first 5-8 games or so. But that's just a guess.
I assume the same. What we don't know is how he will plead to these charges, whether he will fight either/both of the charges in court, or seek a plea deal (pleading guilty to an even lesser charge). PR-wise, it may be better for him to cop to the misdemeanor charges, apologize, and move on. That should net him a relatively small fine and suspension, and automatic participation in the NBA's drug treatment/testing program.

The NBA’s marijuana policy reads: “If a player tests positive for marijuana, or if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty to, the use or possession of marijuana, he will be required to submit to treatment, counseling, and aftercare testing in the program. A second violation will result in a $25,000 fine, and any subsequent violations will result in a suspension that is 5 games longer than the player’s immediately-preceding marijuana suspension.’’

Note: This policy is a few years old, so it's possible that it has been updated.

You aren't going to see a corporate sponsorship of something that is still illegal at the national level.

Seriously, people can argue the pros and cons of legalization, etc. but that's not what this is all about. Zach Randolph knowingly did something he knew would get him in trouble and possibly jeopardize his future in the NBA and he did it anyway. I hope those few hours were worth $24 million because that's what it still could cost him.
VF21 my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek when I made the post above. That said, things are changing. I'm not for or against it but come 2018 weed will be a legal money crop in California. below are a couple of articles about the prospects:

LA Times --> http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-pot-economic-study-20170611-story.html

The San Diego Union ~ Tribune --> http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...n/sd-fi-cannabis-deadline-20170626-story.html

Desert Sun --> http://www.desertsun.com/story/mone...-california-regulation-legalization/98970628/

San Francisco Chronicle --> http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Even-with-legalized-weed-California-s-black-11737954.php

The Cannabist --> http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/01/30/california-marijuana-legal-economy/72444/

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF21 my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek when I made the post above. That said, things are changing. I'm not for or against it but come 2018 weed will be a legal money crop in California. below are a couple of articles about the prospects:

LA Times --> http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-pot-economic-study-20170611-story.html

The San Diego Union ~ Tribune --> http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...n/sd-fi-cannabis-deadline-20170626-story.html

Desert Sun --> http://www.desertsun.com/story/mone...-california-regulation-legalization/98970628/

San Francisco Chronicle --> http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Even-with-legalized-weed-California-s-black-11737954.php

The Cannabist --> http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/01/30/california-marijuana-legal-economy/72444/
Although I'm not going to continue a discussion of the prospects of a legal money crop, please do not assume I'm not aware of the subject.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I assume the same. What we don't know is how he will plead to these charges, whether he will fight either/both of the charges in court, or seek a plea deal (pleading guilty to an even lesser charge). PR-wise, it may be better for him to cop to the misdemeanor charges, apologize, and move on. That should net him a relatively small fine and suspension, and automatic participation in the NBA's drug treatment/testing program.

The NBA’s marijuana policy reads: “If a player tests positive for marijuana, or if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty to, the use or possession of marijuana, he will be required to submit to treatment, counseling, and aftercare testing in the program. A second violation will result in a $25,000 fine, and any subsequent violations will result in a suspension that is 5 games longer than the player’s immediately-preceding marijuana suspension.’’

Note: This policy is a few years old, so it's possible that it has been updated.
Odd as it may seem, I think he may catch more flak on the "resisting arrest" charge. I have no inside information of any kind, but I cannot help but think these charges may already represent some kind of backroom dealing between the DA's office and Randolph's lawyer.

edit: I found this in a recent SI article: (written by Michael McCann)

Although Randolph’s situation involves drugs, it is not entirely resolved by the NBA’s Anti-Drug Program. He did not fail a drug test. Had he done so, he would be subject to the league’s Marijuana Program, which is outlined in Article XXXIII of the collective bargaining agreement. In the NBA, a player is not suspended for marijuana until his third positive test, at which point he faces a five-game suspension. Randolph’s arrest might lead him into the Marijuana Program but that is not his chief concern.
Randolph, however, can still be punished under Article 35 of the NBA Constitution. NBA Commissioner Adam Sliver can invoke Article 35 to suspend players for any “conduct that does not conform to standards of morality or fair play, that does not comply at all times with all federal, state, and local laws, or that is prejudicial or detrimental to the NBA.” This sweeping language offers Silver substantial discretion to suspend Randolph.

Last edited:
Odd as it may seem, I think he may catch more flak on the "resisting arrest" charge. I have no inside information of any kind, but I cannot help but think these charges may already represent some kind of backroom dealing between the DA's office and Randolph's lawyer.
Take any "resisting arrest" charge with a huge grain of salt with law enforcement in this country and especially the LAPD.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Take any "resisting arrest" charge with a huge grain of salt with law enforcement in this country and especially the LAPD.
That's not the point. The point is that if it sticks, it's gonna be another black mark on Randolph's CV.

I honestly think the one thing he's most guilty of is incredible almost incomprehensible stupidity.