Following 2018 draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bummed to read that Wichita St.'s Landry Shamet broke his foot. Second time this has happened. Different foot, but none the less, lousy luck. They say he might be back for the start of the season, but who knows how long it will take him to get back up to speed. I really like this kid and was looking forward to seeing him play this year. Anyway, I wish him luck and have my fingers crossed for him.

Bummed to read that Wichita St.'s Landry Shamet broke his foot. Second time this has happened. Different foot, but none the less, lousy luck. They say he might be back for the start of the season, but who knows how long it will take him to get back up to speed. I really like this kid and was looking forward to seeing him play this year. Anyway, I wish him luck and have my fingers crossed for him.
That sucks, I'm a big fan of his game, poised and a dead-eye shooter.

Hopefully Markis McDuffie takes a big step up for them this year and can hold down the fort. I'm a believer in his talent as well and he's very young for a Jr. He reminds me of a lesser version of Harrison Barnes.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Auburn and Alabama will be forces to be reckoned with too. There's power shifting towards the SEC for sure, even though it'll probably be underhyped.

This years crop of consensus 4-star SF's might be one of my favorite to date, usually I'm picky but players like Emmanuel Akot(Zona), Brian Bowen(UL), Kris Wilkes(UCLA), Kezie Okpala(Stanford), Jermaine Samuels(Nova), Chuma Okeke(Auburn), Jordan Tucker(Duke), Jordan Nwora(Auburn) Nojel Eastern(Purdue) Yves Pons(Tenn) and my super sleeper D'Shawn Schwartz(Colorado) (to name a few) are probably how Flagg ended up outside of the top-50. Stanford has a RS freshman Kodye Pugh to watch and a 6'9" German Forward Oscar Da Silva(Consensus 3*) to keep an eye on too.

I have an unusually high amount of players that I think are sleepers in the consensus 50-100 range in this incoming freshman class; Isaiah Washington (PG - Minnesota) who might have the best handles in the class, Davion Mitchell (PG - Auburn), Jacob Epperson(C - Creighton), Derek Culver (PF - WVU) , Jase Febres (SG - Texas), Mark Smith (CG - Illinois), Marcus Garrett(CG - Kansas), Ikey Obiagu (FSU), Lavar Batts (PG - NC St), Bruno Fernando (C - Maryland), Jemarl Baker(Kentucky) and quite possibly my favorite sleeper Cheikh Mbacke Diong (PF/C - UNLV)

I have a similarly long list of 3* players I think are underrated. This class seems much deeper than has been reported IMO. One 3* in particular 6'5" SG Keith Williams headed to Cincinnati seems absurdly underrated IMO, he's tough and has a real knack for getting buckets, I've seen him drop 40 on many higher rated SG's.

Sadly I don't think Bagley will be going to UK, odds are it's Duke or Zona, even though he's giving USC and UCLA looks too.
I'd love for him to choose Zona. It would give them a big shot in the arm. I haven't put my position list together yet, but working on it. Probably not as large as yours, but by the time I'm finished, it usually grows. More on that later. Sometimes it's all about fit. Matter of fact, fit can be the single most important thing. Unless your Lebron of course.

Kevin Huerter is my early pick for the 2nd rd btw. I'm a big fan, I thought he could've gotten drafted this year honestly. He's got combo skills (former PG) he's a sharpshooter, quite athletic and about 6'7".

I really like Justin Jackson at Maryland too, I think he can work his way into the 1st rd..

It'd be fun to see Justin Jackson come off the bench to replace Justin Jackson.. They're both 6'8" with 7'3" wingspans and shot the lights out from 3 last season. They're far from redundant though, the Canadian JJ has more point forward type of skills, he's better on the boards and he's much more solidly built..

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kevin Huerter is my early pick for the 2nd rd btw. I'm a big fan, I thought he could've gotten drafted this year honestly. He's got combo skills (former PG) he's a sharpshooter, quite athletic and about 6'7".

I really like Justin Jackson at Maryland too, I think he can work his way into the 1st rd..

It'd be fun to see Justin Jackson come off the bench to replace Justin Jackson.. They're both 6'8" with 7'3" wingspans and shot the lights out from 3 last season. They're far from redundant though, the Canadian JJ has more point forward type of skills, he's better on the boards and he's much more solidly built..

I had that exact same thought about Jackson. Like him and currently have him going at the top of the 2nd round, but I think he's first round talent and he could easily work his way into the first round. He has a little more muscle on him than the NC version, but I think our Justin is better overall player. At least at the moment. Of course Maryland is a place where talent goes to die at times. In other words, I don't think they do a great job of developing their players.

I had that exact same thought about Jackson. Like him and currently have him going at the top of the 2nd round, but I think he's first round talent and he could easily work his way into the first round. He has a little more muscle on him than the NC version, but I think our Justin is better overall player. At least at the moment. Of course Maryland is a place where talent goes to die at times. In other words, I don't think they do a great job of developing their players.
Yeah it was ugly seeing how Melo Trimble's draft stock deteriorated there. I've gotta say, and I hate to generalize but for the most part I don't really care for Maryland's fanbase either.. I like Cowan he's sharp, I love Jackson and Huerter. I figure if they can get some solid play from Bruno Fernando as a Fr., thats the recipe for success.

This video is from 2012. I've been following his story as a reported Phenom for quite some time, It was peculiar to me that his AST/TO ratio was so low, I'm really hoping thats an area he makes great progress with. They had him off the ball a lot and he shot a great % so I can't complain all that much, it just seemed he was capable of more.

While Canadians are on topic I just want to say that I think Iowa St.'s prized recruit, Lindell Wigginton should've been 5-stars, and he's got one-and-done potential. I think he'd be a great fit here in Sacramento too. He's a 6'2" scoring PG, he's got hands-down one of the best floaters in the class. He's done a great job adding strength recently.

These are dated highlights from his Jr year but show his repitoire the best. With Monte Morris gone Wigginton will be handed the keys right away. I think he's a rather safe bet to be a better version of Trey Burke.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah it was ugly seeing how Melo Trimble's draft stock deteriorated there. I've gotta say, and I hate to generalize but for the most part I don't really care for Maryland's fanbase either.. I like Cowan he's sharp, I love Jackson and Huerter. I figure if they can get some solid play from Bruno Fernando as a Fr., thats the recipe for success.

This video is from 2012. I've been following his story as a reported Phenom for quite some time, It was peculiar to me that his AST/TO ratio was so low, I'm really hoping thats an area he makes great progress with. They had him off the ball a lot and he shot a great % so I can't complain all that much, it just seemed he was capable of more.
The year before last Maryland was loaded with talent, and couldn't win squat. In Jackson's case, you nailed it. Basically they have him go stand in the corner and hope the ball comes to him. Difficult to develop your passing skills when you seldom touch the ball, and when you do, your expected to shoot it. Although the kid is a very good shooter, and I get that part, its an example of the one dimensional thinking at Maryland. Jackson will end up being one of those players, where people are surprised, because there's more there than meets the eye. Where is Canada getting all this talent?

Don't even get me started on Trimble, or Carter, Layman, or Stone.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well I think everyone knows how talented Porter is. I'm interested to see how he transitions to college. He was a man against boys in that game. A game that the player with the pony tail will not want to re-watch. Porter looks like he has the makings of a good help defender at the next level. He has a few offensive tell's that he needs to disguise. He was a great get for my home state of Missouri.

The year before last Maryland was loaded with talent, and couldn't win squat. In Jackson's case, you nailed it. Basically they have him go stand in the corner and hope the ball comes to him. Difficult to develop your passing skills when you seldom touch the ball, and when you do, your expected to shoot it. Although the kid is a very good shooter, and I get that part, its an example of the one dimensional thinking at Maryland. Jackson will end up being one of those players, where people are surprised, because there's more there than meets the eye. Where is Canada getting all this talent?

the Hawks waived Diamond Stone today.. That sucks.. Maryland gets a major upperhand in recruitment because of Under Armor and doesn't have much to show for it thus far... They'd be smart to pony up big $$$ for a better coach, with that Big10 TV deal $$$ in hand they certainly can afford it.

Canada seems to be pulling talent from all over the world, it's a lot of 1st generation Canadians coming thru the up north pipelines. It's really impressive though. That kid Wigginton would be the first native born player to make the NBA from Nova Scotia IIRC.

I'm really not a fan of the one-and-done rule and If my kid was some epic level talent I wouldn't hesitate to have him pull a Thon Maker to circumvent the rule and go to some high-level Canadian prep school.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
the Hawks waived Diamond Stone today.. That sucks.. Maryland gets a major upperhand in recruitment because of Under Armor and doesn't have much to show for it thus far... They'd be smart to pony up big $$$ for a better coach, with that Big10 TV deal $$$ in hand they certainly can afford it.

Canada seems to be pulling talent from all over the world, it's a lot of 1st generation Canadians coming thru the up north pipelines. It's really impressive though. That kid Wigginton would be the first native born player to make the NBA from Nova Scotia IIRC.

I'm really not a fan of the one-and-done rule and If my kid was some epic level talent I wouldn't hesitate to have him pull a Thon Maker to circumvent the rule and go to some high-level Canadian prep school.
I have mixed feelings about one and done. I tend to lean old school and liked when players were in college for four years. From a scouting point of view, it was much easier to know what you were getting. But that's a purely selfish point of view. My capitalistic side says a young player should be able to go pro and make money if a team is willing to pay him the big bucks. So my self argument continues.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Here's a video of Luka Doncic that does a decent job of breaking down his game fairly. Try to ignore the flagrant add in the middle. Other than that, I think if gives you a fair idea of who he is.

By the way, I don't think PG is the position he'll play in the NBA, purely because I doubt he'll be able to defend it. I think his best position is SF.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
While Canadians are on topic I just want to say that I think Iowa St.'s prized recruit, Lindell Wigginton should've been 5-stars, and he's got one-and-done potential. I think he'd be a great fit here in Sacramento too. He's a 6'2" scoring PG, he's got hands-down one of the best floaters in the class. He's done a great job adding strength recently.

These are dated highlights from his Jr year but show his repitoire the best. With Monte Morris gone Wigginton will be handed the keys right away. I think he's a rather safe bet to be a better version of Trey Burke.
I'm curious to see how much floor time Wigginton gets. They still have Donovan Jackson to play point and he's a senior. Of course I can easily argue that Wigginton is the better player, but with Iowa St's reluctance to play young players, you never know. You don't see one and done's coming out of Iowa St. I will say this, they do a very good job of player development there, and I think his game will improve.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Since SF will probably be our priority in either next years draft, or freeagency, I thought I'd mention another young player I like and who could move up the draft boards if he has a break out year. Talking about Mikal Bridges the 6'7" SF out of Villanova. He came off the bench last season for Jay Wright, and did a very good job. He's a good athlete and shows potential as a defender. He's a little loose with his handles, but give him an opening, and he'll take advantage. His ability to create off the dribble is still in it's infancy, but he knows what his strengths are, and he has a terrific coach in Jay Wright.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

When I look at Maryland, I remain skeptical about drafting players coming out of that program in the same way I have skepticism drafting players out of Kansas & Indiana.

“WKU freshman center Mitchell Robinson is suspended indefinitely from the program for a violation of team rules,” Stansbury said. “Mitchell is a good kid, but the team will always be more important than one individual player. He needs to understand the value of structure and accountability in his life, and his return will be dependent upon requirements that will be handled internally.

“My focus is on our team, and I’m excited about this group as we prepare for next week’s trip to Costa Rica.”

Since SF will probably be our priority in either next years draft, or freeagency, I thought I'd mention another young player I like and who could move up the draft boards if he has a break out year. Talking about Mikal Bridges the 6'7" SF out of Villanova. He came off the bench last season for Jay Wright, and did a very good job. He's a good athlete and shows potential as a defender. He's a little loose with his handles, but give him an opening, and he'll take advantage. His ability to create off the dribble is still in it's infancy, but he knows what his strengths are, and he has a terrific coach in Jay Wright.

Nova should be a fun team to watch next season and as usual a powerhouse in the Big East. Bridges has great tools it'll be interesting to see how he stacks up vs what seems like a deep class of SF's and hopefully his offensive improvements. I'm expecting big things from Jalen Brunson too, he's sure to be one of my favorite PG's in the nation.

Even if Bridges offense remains limited I could see him as a 2nd rd pick for the Kings functioning as a low volume offense player who's a major plus defensively and on the boards.

Rui had a monster showing at the recent U19's, he's got a great motor and is a certified ball-hawk. Budding offensive skills too and he's got a great frame. Slightly stuck between the forward positions but his J really seems to be coming along.

I caught the U16 game years back where USA beat Japan like 130 to 30 and Rui was the only player on their team who could do anything, it was probably the most lopsided game I've ever watched. Been rooting for him ever since. There's no doubt he's the best prospect ever from Japan. 1st rd talent ez if he shoots it well from 3.

Here's a video of Luka Doncic that does a decent job of breaking down his game fairly. Try to ignore the flagrant add in the middle. Other than that, I think if gives you a fair idea of who he is.

By the way, I don't think PG is the position he'll play in the NBA, purely because I doubt he'll be able to defend it. I think his best position is SF.
I'm hoping he's a 6'8" SG (primary) / SF(secondary) with PG skills on offense.. He'll look like a traffic cone trying to guard NBA PG's for sure.

While we're on the topic of International flavor;

Say this name 5x fast - Vassilis Charalampopoulos

He's a dead-eye shooter with a beautiful lefty shot and in the games I've seen, clutch.. He recently was the MVP of the Euro u20 tournament and led Greece to the Championship. He also was the MVP of the U18 tournament in 2015.

Not a great athlete by any stretch but he's super skilled, smart and crafty and a legit 6'8", also a very good passer from the SF spot, wide shoulders, decent frame. Could be a nice stash pick in the 2nd rd.

He's a lot like Aleksander Vezenkov who was selected 57th by the Nets in 2017. Vasillis is born in '98 though.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports....ams-discusses-decision-to-return-to-texas-am/

“We haven’t been rich for 19 years,” [Robert] Williams recalls Tundra, whom he describes as a “middle school cafeteria lady”, telling him. “What’s one more year?”

“That sealed the deal. If she’s good, I’m good,” Williams told NBC Sports as he nursed shin splints at the Under Armour All-American camp in Philadelphia last week. “My mom just wants to see me happy. I could quit basketball and go work at Burger King. If I’m happy, she’s happy.”

The most enigmatic International player discussed here this season will certainly be 6'9" German Point-forward Isaac Bonga.

(2nd video is a year and a half old)

I hope this kid kills it and fulfills his awesome potential, obviously the learning curve on his style of play translating to the NBA is extremely steep. Seems like landing in a perfect spot for development will be key.

Not long ago he was being hyped as a really big-time talent and a 6'9" PG.. More recently there's been questions about his tendency to over-pass and forcing the issue with his ball-dominant style of play. His highlights are extremely entertaining. 7-foot wingspan. Born in Nov 99 which would make him one of the youngest in this draftclass should he declare.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
“WKU freshman center Mitchell Robinson is suspended indefinitely from the program for a violation of team rules,” Stansbury said. “Mitchell is a good kid, but the team will always be more important than one individual player. He needs to understand the value of structure and accountability in his life, and his return will be dependent upon requirements that will be handled internally.

“My focus is on our team, and I’m excited about this group as we prepare for next week’s trip to Costa Rica.”
Robinson needs to have a sit down with Stansbury and settle this. I realize that's hard to do right now with Stansbury in Costa Rica, but I think he needs to bite the bullet and honor his commitment. Hopefully that will happen and we'll get to see the kid play. We all need to remember that he is indeed a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.