Otis Smith Interviews for Kings VP of Basketball vacancy

Otis may not be ideal as the man in charge but he has lots of experience and connections throughout the league so he may be just what Vlade is looking for.

I don't recall Smith being a very good GM. He gave out Rashard Lewis a horrible contract.. only later to flip him for Gilbert Arenas and his ugly contract...then waives him with 2 years and $40milllion left... I also firmly remember him dissembling that Finals team.. then he hits the panic button when things didn't workout..and ends up bringing back Hedo LOL

no thanks.

I don't recall Smith being a very good GM. He gave out Rashard Lewis a horrible contract.. only later to flip him for Gilbert Arenas and his ugly contract...then waives him with 2 years and $40milllion left... I also firmly remember him dissembling that Finals team.. then he hits the panic button when things didn't workout..and ends up bringing back Hedo LOL

no thanks.
Ouch. Hopefully this is the start of a lengthy interview process.

Pass on this dude. I'd rather bring in Hinkie.
I think people are missing the point of what Vlade seems to be looking for in his #2.

He wants someone with experience, connections, and who is respected around the league, ala a Scott Perry type, for his #2.

Vlade will be the ultimate decision maker still, he is not looking for someone to make all the decisions and be the head guy, like Hinke.

I prefer that Vlade remains the ultimate decision maker, so NO on Hinke.

Last edited:
I am not convinced by Otis Smith. Far from an impressive resume.
The Orlando Magic compiled a 299 Wins and 177 Loss record with Smith as their GM.

That is a 0.628% winning percentage.

Plus, his team made it to the NBA Finals in 2009.

I think that is a better record than any GM the Kings have ever had, including Petrie's record.

He was fired because of the "Diva" Dwight Howard wanted to be traded. Look at the Magic, since Otis Smith left, they have been pathetic. With Smith as their GM, they were always in the top 4-5 teams in the East.

I think he is more than qualified to be a #2 in the Kings Front Office.

Last edited:
As some have pointed out this is less about personnel moves and more about being the assist man in getting these deals done day to day. This job is not going to be one that there are tons of top candidates coveting, and I think Smith would be an adequate hire. Whether he fell into this or built that, the reality is for a good chunk of that time he was simply doing Van Gundy's bidding. So if he is a guy that can help Vlade and Joerger get the pieces we need to be competitive more power to him.

If that is truly the role, I think in some ways his "questionable" past could be an asset in making other teams think twice about poaching him from us. I don't think we want another Perry situation next offseason.

As some have pointed out this is less about personnel moves and more about being the assist man in getting these deals done day to day. This job is not going to be one that there are tons of top candidates coveting, and I think Smith would be an adequate hire. Whether he fell into this or built that, the reality is for a good chunk of that time he was simply doing Van Gundy's bidding. So if he is a guy that can help Vlade and Joerger get the pieces we need to be competitive more power to him.

If that is truly the role, I think in some ways his "questionable" past could be an asset in making other teams think twice about poaching him from us. I don't think we want another Perry situation next offseason.
There has been a lot of talk prior to Scott hire that Vlade was not doing a lot of the GM things, like being constantly on the road scouting and watching players. I tend to think that where there is smoke, there is fire. If this truly is the case, then the guy that comes on board will have a very heavy workload and will need to be good at the things that Vlade is not good at. I am not sure if Otis is that guy but I am not an expert on Otis Smith. From outside looking in, his results, especially later in his time in Orlando have been very questionable.

There has been a lot of talk prior to Scott hire that Vlade was not doing a lot of the GM things, like being constantly on the road scouting and watching players. I tend to think that where there is smoke, there is fire. If this truly is the case, then the guy that comes on board will have a very heavy workload and will need to be good at the things that Vlade is not good at. I am not sure if Otis is that guy but I am not an expert on Otis Smith. From outside looking in, his results, especially later in his time in Orlando have been very questionable.
I don't really know enough about the Orlando situation to defend him, I'll simply say he took over a crap team and built them to a finals team. Some folks want to lay all of that on dumb luck and Howard. It is notable however that it was Howard's garbage attitude and desire to leave that sunk the Magic franchise. And Howard has largely been a disappointment everywhere since he took off. So I think *some* credit there is due. Again though, if the job is just to do Vlade's dirty work, then he's probably qualified.