Revising the Rudy Gay question (new poll)

Is it good for the Kings if Rudy Gay opts in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Count down to Rudy's opt-out clause.

I think someone mentioned that Rudy had 5 days after the season ended to Opt-Out of his Kings contract....

Rudy, you are now officially on the clock! ;)

I think it's best for us if he ops in. We have cap space we cannot use, then we can work with his agent to facilitate a trade to get an asset or two back.

This only works if the FO can do this correctly. If he opts in, comes back healthy and is a 20PPG scorer like before AND we don't trade him all he does is cost young guys PT and probably worsens our 2018 draft pick.

I was really close to the bench for the final game at G1C. Rudy was there in very good spirits - yukking it up with the guys. I asked him "will I see you next year" and he started to smile, then wiped the smile off and shrugged. It looked like I'd hit a nerve and I got the vibe that it was a "no". But we'll see. I'd like to see him back but can go with either path.

If Rudy does opt out, I would like the Kings to go after someone like Minnesota's Shabazz Mohammad (Otto Porter probably wouldn't come to Sac).

He is still only 24 years old and a proven scorer in the league. He is a California kid too. He has played behind one of the top up and coming small forwards in Andrew Wiggins, so I think he has growth potential. He could definitely start until the rookie SF is ready.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It doesn't hurt us significantly if he opts in. Maximizing cap space is no longer a priority for us and we aren't competing for anything right now besides a return to respectability. I feel like it's in the best interest of both parties to move on but that's Rudy's call. One thing the front office can do is treat him with respect regardless of his decision. And I heartily agree with everything bajaden just said.

I dont think he would effect things much either way, its probably a tank year anyway. Would rather see him gone and limit Joergers options to just the kids and some bench vets backing them up.

Basically Rudy will be back if his agent puts out feelers and doesnt get any teams showing interest in a multi-year deal. I think Rudy would leave for less annual money as long as he got some years on the deal, he wanted out all year long. Its going to come down to the money.

If teams dont give him a multi year deal he will use next year as an audtion year to prove he can still play, which is fine, as long as it doesnt negatively effect the tank.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I dont think he would effect things much either way, its probably a tank year anyway. Would rather see him gone and limit Joergers options to just the kids and some bench vets backing them up.

Basically Rudy will be back if his agent puts out feelers and doesnt get any teams showing interest in a multi-year deal. I think Rudy would leave for less annual money as long as he got some years on the deal, he wanted out all year long. Its going to come down to the money.

If teams dont give him a multi year deal he will use next year as an audtion year to prove he can still play, which is fine, as long as it doesnt negatively effect the tank.
Could we save that discussion for a different thread?

EDIT: I started a new thread (which I plan to avoid like the plague :p) for people to use to discuss the idea of already thinking of next season as another tank year. Posts in other threads discussing that possibility will be moved into that thread.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'd like to see him opt in so we don't just have another asset walk away. I think there are restrictions on if/when the Kings can trade him if he's exercised a player option, but as it is our only SFs (even if we draft one) will have very little NBA experience without Rudy around.

Rudy said he had NO intention of re-signing with the Kings before his injury. I don't like that. It speaks to his loyalty and commitment. In his defense I don't know how much of this was related to being a teammate of Boogie. If degree of that sentiment was not wanting to play with him, or being around the extracurricular drama, I think he was justified in wanting to move on.

From a pure basketball point, I don't think he can help the team. His defense was bad before he busted his Achilles. Its not going to get better when he returns. His lateral mobility is not going to get better. In regards to having him opt-in being a positive so we meet the floor, I completely disagree. Its better to have flexibility to chase guys you want and work favorable deals (absorbing contract for 2nd rounders) when opportunity strikes.

Even if you don't spend to the cap floor, the additional dollars get spread between players on the team, which increases goodwill.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Rudy said he had NO intention of re-signing with the Kings before his injury. I don't like that. It speaks to his loyalty and commitment. In his defense I don't know how much of this was related to being a teammate of Boogie. If degree of that sentiment was not wanting to play with him, or being around the extracurricular drama, I think he was justified in wanting to move on.

From a pure basketball point, I don't think he can help the team. His defense was bad before he busted his Achilles. Its not going to get better when he returns. His lateral mobility is not going to get better. In regards to having him opt-in being a positive so we meet the floor, I completely disagree. Its better to have flexibility to chase guys you want and work favorable deals (absorbing contract for 2nd rounders) when opportunity strikes.

Even if you don't spend to the cap floor, the additional dollars get spread between players on the team, which increases goodwill.
I think the whole team dynamic was also related to his comment. Rudy doesn't strike me as a drama guy, and as much as I tried to defend DeMarcus against all complaints, I have admitted now (after the detox/rehab) that there is a definitive change in the Kings, in the mood of the fans, etc. since he's been gone. I still think he's gonna be one of the best to ever play the game, but I've come to realize that it was most likely never going to happen here because too much had happened.

So, having said that, I don't think I have a problem with Rudy and his loyalty and commitment to the CURRENT Kings team. From what I've seen, he truly loves being around the kids and has even regained some of his passion for the game because of it. Those could be very good things for a young Kings team, should he decide to stay.

Even if you don't spend to the cap floor, the additional dollars get spread between players on the team, which increases goodwill
I thought that's how it worked but wasn't 100% sure. As for Rudy if he opts in I would bench him and return the favor and use him as trade bait with those teams who misused their cap.

I'm okay if Rudy opts in. One year will give time for our rookie lottery small forward to develop before they start.

If he proves to be healthy, at worst, he can be trade bait at the deadline. Otherwise we still need to get to the salary floor.

But, if Rudy does opt out, I would use the money towards a younger small forward with scoring ability and some upside, like shabazz mohammed.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I voted not sure because I don't think we can do much with the cap space and I'd prefer we focus on young talent. Rudy can just eat up a slot and be a vet presence right now, and maybe he'll be a trade asset at the deadline?
He'll be doing more than just eating up a slot o_O

Rudy would actually be the perfect 6th man. A player that can come in and instantly score.

He could start at the beginning of the year while the rookie small forward gets acclaimated to the NBA. Eventually, you can move him over to the sixth man role. He would be one of the top 6th men, similar to Eric Gordon and Lou Williams instant microwave scoring.

If the Kings are so inclined, once the rookie small forward is ready, you could probably trade Rudy at the trade deadline to a contender for some assets.

Btw, Rudy opt in decision is due tomorrow, Monday April 17th ;)

Next year is not a "nothing" year. We have no SF and, if healthy, Rudy is a very good ne. I doubt any draftee could beat him out for starting SF. Some on here say next year is a "tank" year or a lottery year. I don't think that way. I want to win game no.1 then I want to win game no. 2 etc. Because of that we can't simply be running a training academy. Gay would be the best way to go. Hope he opts in.

If Rudy Gay opts in that's good news for us because it gives us a potential trade asset if he proves he's healthy and can still ball.

Would it get in the way of a young player? Perhaps, but considering our options at small forward the only time it would be an issue is if we move up in the draft or Jackson/Tatum fall to us. But if we get someone like Isaac, they need coaching up and in that time we can start Rudy.

As for the issue of him helping us win too many games, again not an issue. We are unlikely to tank. If anything we'll play like we did after the Cousins trade, with fight and determination to try and win games, but with our current roster makeup even with additions in the draft we will still likely be around a team in the 20 to 30 win range. Rudy won't change that.

I voted no but really I don't think it matters too much either way.

Given the Kings track record with free agents I don't see the extra cap space helping them. Yes, Rudy could be a trade asset but how much could a 31 year old Rudy fetch when he's coming off an Achilles tear and about to be a free agent.

Rudy has always been a pro and he'd be good for the young players. That's the positive.

My concern is that he will be looking to showcase himself and prove he's healthy for his next contract. Rudy being the first option on offense has been A bad idea in the past. And being older and coming off a bad injury it could be disastrous .

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I voted no but really I don't think it matters too much either way.

Given the Kings track record with free agents I don't see the extra cap space helping them. Yes, Rudy could be a trade asset but how much could a 31 year old Rudy fetch when he's coming off an Achilles tear and about to be a free agent.

Rudy has always been a pro and he'd be good for the young players. That's the positive.

My concern is that he will be looking to showcase himself and prove he's healthy for his next contract. Rudy being the first option on offense has been A bad idea in the past. And being older and coming off a bad injury it could be disastrous .
Your last sentence is exactly my worry, plus, going on past history, Rudy's style of play doesn't exactly fit what the team is trying to do. Rudy is an iso player, which means he can be a ball stopper. However, I don't look at that part as a disaster, but Rudy taking 25 shots a game, and everyone else deferring to him could be. They say a leopard doesn't change it's spots, so I don't know if Rudy can change how he plays the game. But like you, I'm not all that concerned about it one way or the other. We'll know tomorrow...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Count down to Rudy's opt-out clause.

I think someone mentioned that Rudy had 5 days after the season ended to Opt-Out of his Kings contract....

Rudy, you are now officially on the clock! ;)
So, about that 5 days.

The best information I can find quickly is that Rudy's contract option must be decided on either 6/10/17 or 5 days after the season ends ... with no disclaimer as to whether that is a "whichever is earlier" or a "whichever is later" scenario. But, since it would be very highly unusual (at the least, if not disallowed altogether) for a player to have to decide on their option BEFORE their season is over, and since the NBA Finals routinely run to the late teens in June, it's probably "whichever is later". So Rudy's decision will likely come on 6/10, not today.

So, about that 5 days.

The best information I can find quickly is that Rudy's contract option must be decided on either 6/10/17 or 5 days after the season ends ... with no disclaimer as to whether that is a "whichever is earlier" or a "whichever is later" scenario. But, since it would be very highly unusual (at the least, if not disallowed altogether) for a player to have to decide on their option BEFORE their season is over, and since the NBA Finals routinely run to the late teens in June, it's probably "whichever is later". So Rudy's decision will likely come on 6/10, not today.
I'm not sure when the 5 day starts. Someone mentioned before and also in an article from sactownroyalty.com, they stated that the 5 days was from the end of the kings season, which was Wednesday, but I'm not sure.

Is there any official word on when the deadline is?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not sure when the 5 day starts. Someone mentioned before and also in an article from sactownroyalty.com, they stated that the 5 days was from the end of the kings season, which was Wednesday, but I'm not sure.

Is there any official word on when the deadline is?
I haven't seen any official word. I have seen the contract reported as 5 days after the end of the season or June 10th, without any word as to "whichever comes first" or "whichever comes later". Wissinger on STR appears to be assuming "whichever comes first", but I think that makes little sense as June 10th is typically in the middle of the finals, and thus Rudy's season might not actually be over then (If Rudy were in the finals). I can't imagine a contract being written that might require the player option to be exercised during the playoffs while the player was still playing. As such, I suspect that the correct language to the contract is "whichever comes later". I could be wrong, but I would be surprised. I suppose if it isn't clarified before then, we will know on Tuesday morning.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The best thing for Sac is that Rudy opts out. You committed to a youth movement once dealing Cuz and as nice a guy as Rudy is, he's not the guy you want leading the team. Black hole, Iso Rudy, indifferent defender, bad number one option, etc

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
According to Sactown Royalty this morning, Rudy's opt in/out date is June 10 not today. Shouldn't mean much just another 2 months of waiting. As to his affect on the team if he opts in, it depends on Coach and how he orchestrates the "kids" to use Rudy without Rudy once again becoming a black hole. Can't imagine Rudy getting many minutes for awhile while in rehab which can be an advantage if coach right.

Last edited:
According to Sactown Royalty this morning, Rudy's opt in/out date is June 10 not today. Shouldn't mean much just another 2 months of waiting. As to his affect on the team if he opts in, it depends on Coach and how he orchestrates the "kids" to use Rudy without Rudy once again becoming a black hole. Can't imagine Rudy getting many minutes for awhile while in rehab which can be an advantage if coach right.
Rudy seems to be ahead of schedule on his rehab.

A mid-June Opt-Out , unless he has a major set back, will virtually assure that Rudy Opts-Out come June 10th.