Who do we draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Agree with you. I just can't see Monk becoming a PG in the NBA. I was on the BPA bandwagon, but then I realized that we had 2 potential franchise SGs already on our roster. If Monk ends up becoming a top 5 SG in the NBA, and we passed up on him, I could live with that. Would rather draft a position elsewhere.
If Monk is available and none of the other guards are, I draft Monk and then look to deal one of the SGs in a package to get a player they are coveting.

If Monk is available and none of the other guards are, I draft Monk and then look to deal one of the SGs in a package to get a player they are coveting.
The problem with this is we have Vivek as our owner. I like Richardson a lot, but it's pretty obvious he has no trade value right now beyond being a throwin, and it will be a cold day in hell when Vivek allows Hield on the trade market.

As pathetic as this sounds, we might literally keep 5+ SGs on the roster before we do anything to even think about clearing the logjam at that position. Normally, I'm all for BPA, but in this case I might have to pass if it's Monk. I see no way he's going to get developed properly if he's here.

I think Phil Jackson will go after monk. He needs a wing scorer for his triangle, ala Kobe or Jordan type shooting guard.

I think Markkaren will be a target for Minnesota and Dallas. If Markkaren is gone before Dallas picks, I think they take a point guard at #9.

So, hopefully the kings would have the choice of Dennis smith or frank ntikilina at #8 and hopefully Isaac will be there at 10.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So, hopefully the kings would have the choice of Dennis smith or frank ntikilina at #8 and hopefully Isaac will be there at 10.
In this scenario, I think maybe the best move would be to take Isaac, with the knowledge that one of Smith/Ntilikina would have to be there at #10. Unless we've got an obvious preference at PG and don't care so much about Isaac, it's probably not worth risking Dallas grabbing Isaac and forcing us to look deeper rather than draft a second PG.

In this scenario, I think maybe the best move would be to take Isaac, with the knowledge that one of Smith/Ntilikina would have to be there at #10. Unless we've got an obvious preference at PG and don't care so much about Isaac, it's probably not worth risking Dallas grabbing Isaac and forcing us to look deeper rather than draft a second PG.
That would be a good move if we don't value one point guard over the other. If they rate the point guards remaining equal, then yes take a small forward with the 8 pick.

But, if they really like one of the point guards better, they should take him at #8, because Dallas has Harrison Barnes locked up at small forward with a max contract, I think Dallas takes a point guard or Markkaren at #9

That would be a good move if we don't value one point guard over the other. If they rate the point guards remaining equal, then yes take a small forward with the 8 pick.

But, if they really like one of the point guards better, they should take him at #8, because Dallas has Harrison Barnes locked up at small forward with a max contract, I think Dallas takes a point guard or Markkaren at #9
I could easily see Dallas take Isaac. They've played Barnes at the 4 this past season and with Isaac size, they could easily see him as their long term PF. Barnes, Isaac, & Noel could be their front court of the future which could be pretty darn strong if they reach their potential.

Dennis Smith Jr's scoring ability: 32pts on 10-18 FG, 4-6 3PT, and 8-15 FT(ouch).
This game showcased his elite scoring ability. He's playing against a very good Duke team.

Dennis Smith Jr's passing ability: 15asts vs Syracuse.
Underrated playmaker by a lot. Not just a scoring guard.

I'd take DSJ before Fox and Ntilikina. Look at those games, I think his demeanor is being over-emphasized. He pumps his guys up and rallies them.

Dennis Smith Jr's scoring ability: 32pts on 10-18 FG, 4-6 3PT, and 8-15 FT(ouch).
This game showcased his elite scoring ability. He's playing against a very good Duke team.

I'd take DSJ before Fox and Ntilikina. Look at those games, I think his demeanor is being over-emphasized. He pumps his guys up and rallies them.
His attitude and demeanor really turn me off but I think at 8 it will be between him and Frank

And this is why Portland passed on Jordan cause they had Clyde.

You draft the best player period.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The problem with this is we have Vivek as our owner. I like Richardson a lot, but it's pretty obvious he has no trade value right now beyond being a throwin, and it will be a cold day in hell when Vivek allows Hield on the trade market.

As pathetic as this sounds, we might literally keep 5+ SGs on the roster before we do anything to even think about clearing the logjam at that position. Normally, I'm all for BPA, but in this case I might have to pass if it's Monk. I see no way he's going to get developed properly if he's here.
I think the best crop of guards will get the most minutes, whether it's Hield, Richardson, Temple or Monk.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I watched the dude play too many games where his head was somewhere else. Yes, he very talented, but none of that matters if he doesn't have the desire. He might, but he's shown me that he picks and chooses when to be a good player. I don't much care for players like that. Donte Greene had all the talent in the world, and I didn't want him for the Kings because he had a similar attitude at Syracuse. Once he got the money in the bank, he started mailing in his game. I could be wrong about Smith, but I'm not willing to gamble. I'd take Fox ten times out of ten, because Fox busts his butt every minute he's on the court. That's exactly why Smith will be drafted after Fox.

Well, extremely difficult to find any type of recent tape on this guy, but Rodions Kurucus could be a dark horse pick at SF.
12pts in Spain's top league:

6'8 SF
-good height and athleticism
-good shooter (promising stroke)
-average ball handling
-ability to attack closeouts
-can finish above the rim
- average passer
-good player in transition

-injury problems
-lack of strength
-average lateral quickness
-lack of rebounding
-lack of defensive fundamentals

Driving ability(and a few passes):

Athleticism:

I watched the dude play too many games where his head was somewhere else. Yes, he very talented, but none of that matters if he doesn't have the desire. He might, but he's shown me that he picks and chooses when to be a good player. I don't much care for players like that. Donte Greene had all the talent in the world, and I didn't want him for the Kings because he had a similar attitude at Syracuse. Once he got the money in the bank, he started mailing in his game. I could be wrong about Smith, but I'm not willing to gamble. I'd take Fox ten times out of ten, because Fox busts his butt every minute he's on the court. That's exactly why Smith will be drafted after Fox.
Whoa! I must whole heartedly disagree with you on that. As for Smith I think this kid is going to be good. Like a better version of Kyle Lowry good. But if him and fox are on the board it's fox.

MIL Gets: Kosta Koufos & Aaron Afflalo
MIL Gives: #17, 2019 1st (Top 10 Protected), Greg Monroe, John Henson, Mirza Teletovic, & Spencer Hawes
Why for MIL? They dump a lot of salary which would allow them to have ~$31 mil in cap space to surround Brodgon, Dellavedova, Middleton, Vaughn, Parker, Giannis, Maker, & Koufos. Koufos would also be a solid & cheap defensive C that can help be a stopgap while Maker develops.

PG - Brogdon / Dellavedova
SG - Middleton / Vaughn
SF - Parker
PF - Giannis
C - Koufos / Maker
Picks - N/A

ORL Gets: #10, #17, Georgios, Papagiannis, & Bogdan Bogdanovic
ORL Gives: #5 & Mario Hezonja
Why for ORL? With Payton at PG and Tatum perhaps off the board, it might make sense to trade down and pick up more assets rather than taking a similar PG in Fox.

PG - Payton / Augustin
SG - Fournier / Bogdanovic
SF - Ross
PF - Gordon / Zimmerman
C - Biyombo / Vucevic / Papagiannis
Picks - #10, #17, #26, #33, & #35

SAC Gets: #5, MIL 2019 1st (Top 10 Protected), Mario Hezonja, Greg Monroe, John Henson, Mirza Teletovic, & Spencer Hawes
SAC Gives: #10, Georgios Papagiannis, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Kosta Koufos, & Arron Afflalo
Why for SAC? They move these assets to be in a position to draft Fox at #5 while also balancing the roster by acquiring a SF prospect in Hezonja. They also replace their lost 2019 pick with Milwaukee's pick.

PG - Temple
SG - Hield / Richardson
SF - Hezonja / Gay
PF - Labissiere / Tolliver / Teletovic
C - Monroe / Cauley-Stein / Henson
Picks - #5, #8, & #34
*Galloway & Hawes are waived

2017 NBA Draft:
Then we take Fox at #5, Isaac at #8, and Motley at #34

PG - Fox
SG - Hield / Temple / Richardson
SF - Isaac / Hezonja / Gay
PF - Labissiere / Tolliver / Teletovic / Motley

2017 NBA Free Agency:
After the draft, we'd still have 1 roster spot open. I'd look to resign Lawson to a 1+1 to help show Fox the ropes at PG. Going into the season this would be our team:

PG - Lawson / Fox

2018 NBA Trade Deadline:
I'm hoping by this time, Gay is back in the rotation & healthy. Considering this team doesn't have much of a primary go-to option, I would assume that both Monroe's & Gay's numbers would look inflated. Hopefully that allows us to move them for future picks at the deadline and ride the young guys the rest of the way to land a top pick in the upcoming draft

2018 NBA Draft:
With this group of young players and with Gay & Monroe (hopefully) traded for picks, I'm hoping we'd land a top 3 spot in the draft and take Ayton. These would be the players with guaranteed contracts going into the 2018 season:

PG - Fox
SG - Hield / Richardson
SF - Isaac / Hezonja
PF - Labissiere / Motley / Teletovic
C - Ayton / Cauley-Stein / Henson

Not to mention we'd still have our 2018 2nd round pick, Milwaukee's 2019 1st, our 2019 2nd round pick (Milwaukee has the option to swap), and any picks we received while moving Monroe and/or Gay. That could be the start of something special.

MIL Gets: Kosta Koufos & Aaron Afflalo
MIL Gives: #17, 2019 1st (Top 10 Protected), Greg Monroe, John Henson, Mirza Teletovic, & Spencer Hawes
Why for MIL? They dump a lot of salary which would allow them to have ~$31 mil in cap space to surround Brodgon, Dellavedova, Middleton, Vaughn, Parker, Giannis, Maker, & Koufos. Koufos would also be a solid & cheap defensive C that can help be a stopgap while Maker develops.

PG - Brogdon / Dellavedova
SG - Middleton / Vaughn
SF - Parker
PF - Giannis
C - Koufos / Maker
Picks - N/A

ORL Gets: #10, #17, Georgios, Papagiannis, & Bogdan Bogdanovic
ORL Gives: #5 & Mario Hezonja
Why for ORL? With Payton at PG and Tatum perhaps off the board, it might make sense to trade down and pick up more assets rather than taking a similar PG in Fox.

PG - Payton / Augustin
SG - Fournier / Bogdanovic
SF - Ross
PF - Gordon / Zimmerman
C - Biyombo / Vucevic / Papagiannis
Picks - #10, #17, #26, #33, & #35

SAC Gets: #5, MIL 2019 1st (Top 10 Protected), Mario Hezonja, Greg Monroe, John Henson, Mirza Teletovic, & Spencer Hawes
SAC Gives: #10, Georgios Papagiannis, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Kosta Koufos, & Arron Afflalo
Why for SAC? They move these assets to be in a position to draft Fox at #5 while also balancing the roster by acquiring a SF prospect in Hezonja. They also replace their lost 2019 pick with Milwaukee's pick.

PG - Temple
SG - Hield / Richardson
SF - Hezonja / Gay
PF - Labissiere / Tolliver / Teletovic
Picks - #5, #8, & #34
*Galloway & Hawes are waived

2017 NBA Draft:
Then we take Fox at #5, Isaac at #8, and Motley at #34

PG - Fox

2017 NBA Free Agency:
After the draft, we'd still have 1 roster spot open. I'd look to resign Lawson to a 1+1 to help show Fox the ropes at PG. Going into the season this would be our team:

PG - Lawson / Fox

2018 NBA Trade Deadline:
I'm hoping by this time, Gay is back in the rotation & healthy. Considering this team doesn't have much of a primary go-to option, I would assume that both Monroe's & Gay's numbers would look inflated. Hopefully that allows us to move them for future picks at the deadline and ride the young guys the rest of the way to land a top pick in the upcoming draft

2018 NBA Draft:
With this group of young players and with Gay & Monroe (hopefully) traded for picks, I'm hoping we'd land a top 3 spot in the draft and take Ayton. These would be the players with guaranteed contracts going into the 2018 season:

PG - Fox
SG - Hield / Richardson
SF - Isaac / Hezonja
PF - Labissiere / Motley / Teletovic
C - Ayton / Cauley-Stein / Henson

Not to mention we'd still have our 2018 2nd round pick, Milwaukee's 2019 1st, our 2019 2nd round pick (Milwaukee has the option to swap), and any picks we received while moving Monroe and/or Gay. That could be the start of something special.
I like the general direction of this because it seems I have identified the same path as you going forward: get a franchise level PG, upgrade the C spot and get a 3&D wing.
However, I wonder if Vlade would trade PapaG and Bogdanovic. These two especially seem two be players that he is invested in the most.

If however a change in management took place I could see something like this happen. If Vlade stays I could see just standing pat and drafting a franchise PG and C upgrade at #8/#10 and a 3&D guy at #34.
So say we go Ntilikina at #8, Collins at #10 and with Mikal Bridges at #34.

Frank Ntilikina / Lawson / Galloway
Hield / Bogdanovic / Richardson
Temple / Gay / Mikal Bridges
Skal / Wcs / Tolliver
Koufos / Zach Collins / PapaG
+ 2018 First rounder to upgrade.

I just cant get excited about his highlights knowing there a numerous instances - that are not shown in these videos - where is "cheating" the game, i.e. not caring on defense or moving the ball. He embodies everything I dont like in sports. He plays lazy, no effort, rather goes for the highlight play. He doesnt play to win the game. He doesnt sacrifice for the team. He has no clue how to run an NBA offense that values ball movement and execution. It was visible in 2015 at Adidas summer championship and it is visible at NC State.
Compare that to a guy like Ntilikina who works his butt of on defense and initiates the ball movement as the point guard. Thats also exactly what Joerger is preaching day in and day out.
Yes, if the game is tied at the end and I need a bucket I'd rather go to Smith. But with Ntilikina the hope is that the game isnt even close because we outworked and oustmarted the other team before.

Well, extremely difficult to find any type of recent tape on this guy, but Rodions Kurucus could be a dark horse pick at SF.
12pts in Spain's top league:

6'8 SF
-good height and athleticism
-good shooter (promising stroke)
-average ball handling
-ability to attack closeouts
-can finish above the rim
- average passer
-good player in transition

-injury problems
-lack of strength
-average lateral quickness
-lack of rebounding
-lack of defensive fundamentals
Gonna give you some insight on this guy. I have watched him on live streams for last few months. First of all, he is not playing right now in the Spain top league, he is playing in the 2nd division, averaging around 10 ppg there.

Almost half of the time when he is on the floor, he is handling the ball, almost playing like a point guard.
His first step is incredible, he can get past whether it's Small Forward or quick Point Guard if he would like to. Athleticism is impressive for a European, but don't get me wrong this doesn't look like another Hezonja situation, because Hezonja was overhyped a lot in Europe and he was a really cocky/immature guy coming into the NBA, just like his father.
Kurucs Driving Ability.

Average passer? Nah I would say myself underrated as a passer.

He has a potential to be a really good shooter, the mechanics look great, need some consistency, but if he gets it right, his jumpshot is money, his jump shot is similar to CJ McCollum, but McCollum is releasing the ball higher.

On defense, he is really good 1 on 1 defender, but the knock on him is he sometimes for long is watching the play, not following where is his player, so he is forgetting about his man and there are some confusions on the defense because of that, leaving one man wide open, but it is fixable if he will pay attention to his player.

And yes he had knee injury before, right now it looks like he is good, he made his debut in Europe best basketball league Euroleague, scored two points after of course his bread and butter play, driving to the basket and using his quick first step.

My comparison to him is more athletic and better shooter, Kyle Anderson from the Spurs or Sam Dekker from the Rockets.
But obviously I would not take him with 10th overall pick, you could take him if we were moving down in the draft, to maybe get one 2019 Draft Pick. I don't know.

I would take Ntilikina over Dennis Smith too with #8 pick. Dennis Smith doesn't play a lick of defense and how are we gonna stop opponent guards with backcourt DSJ and Buddy Hield? Frank Ntilikina is multiple ALL Defensive 1st Team potential/material when it's all said and done in my opinion.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Dante Exxum is or was a great defensive PG pre injury but he was pretty bad on offense. Is this the Ntilikina comp? There is a definite talent division between Smith and Ntilikina on offense. With a lottery pick I'd rather go with the player who has the more upside to become an all-star type player. Joerger can get the guy to play defense. Smith is way to talented to pass on.

Dante Exxum is or was a great defensive PG pre injury but he was pretty bad on offense. Is this the Ntilikina comp? There is a definite talent division between Smith and Ntilikina on offense. With a lottery pick I'd rather go with the player who has the more upside to become an all-star type player. Joerger can get the guy to play defense. Smith is way to talented to pass on.
I agree with this, the only thing that keeps me from being "all in" on Smith is possible attitude concerns. I value locker room and team chemistry higher than most probably so that's a big issue for me. He's so young though that there should be plenty of room for growth there as well as in his game. Offensively he has all star upside at the PG spot which is saying a lot.

On offense, Frank Ntilikina>>Dante Exum right now, Dante Exum shot is broken, every time I watch him play and when he is shooting the ball it looks like he is using different release every single time, kinda like Shaq with his free throws. :D

Frank has 3 pointer, he is shooting this season 50% from the field, 45 % from the 3 point line, only knock on him is that he is not getting to the free throw line.
Exum played at age of 18/19 in Australian Highschool basketball, while Ntilikina is already Pro since he was 15-16 years old and at age of 18 is starting guard for a team who's coach is current France national team coach, who coached Tony Parker for many years. You can't pass on a guy with upside like that if you have 8th pick. This is Joerger guy, I think DSJ is not Vlade's guy, because he had some locker room/attitude problems in college... and again how we are gonna stop today's NBA guards with backcourt Dennis Smith JR and Buddy Hield? Opposing guards are just gonna lick their fingers and gonna drop career high on that backcourt.

If Isaac, Smith Jr, and Ntilikina are all on the board at 8, you have to go Isaac first. Smith Jr and Ntilikina are on equal ground for me so you have to get the SF and the PG and this assures us of that much.

This board is criminally underrating Smith Jr at this point. Talk about blowing the concerns out of proportion. It's rare in any draft that a player of his talent would be available at 8. Not saying he is flawless or without risk, but he is still a kid and has all the tools, skills and athleticism to be an elite PG.
Smith has the tools to be an elite PG on the offensive end. Right now he'll have to work to be as bad as Kyrie Irving and Damien Lillard on the defensive end.

I'm not sure what Lillard's issues really are on that end of the floor beyond just not putting in the effort. But Kyrie has the same problem Smith has and will have - he's got just average height and a below average wingspan.

Smith is very properly rated on this board. Seasoned NBA viewers have been saying for months that he would slide, and now he is starting that slide. He'll end up being the 10th or 11th pick, where he belongs. Also, what about Vlade's view of team building, or Joerger's offensive philosophy, meshes with Smith as a prospect?

Question concerning Ntilikina. What level of competition has he played against? He is so young it is difficult to judge the level of opposing players he is going against. Is there a comparison to the USA levels? College, D-League, etc.

And a question on Smith. There is discussion of his motor/drive/attitude. Is there any video out there showing this stuff?

I looked at these and don't see it:

Question concerning Ntilikina. What level of competition has he played against? He is so young it is difficult to judge the level of opposing players he is going against. Is there a comparison to the USA levels? College, D-League, etc.

And a question on Smith. There is discussion of his motor/drive/attitude. Is there any video out there showing this stuff?

I looked at these and don't see it:
Regarding Ntilikina:
There is no real USA comparison. You cant compare it to the NBA because the talent level is lower. You also cant compare it to dleague/college because these are grown man that play to win and not to develop future talent. The only solution is to watch Straßburgs game yourself and judge whether you think he does will translate. Luckily, their games are online on youtube.

Regarding Smith:
Same goes here, youve got to watch the full games to see it. Just type in "NC state full game".

Edit: Ok I just found this, this is a good one.

I mean, come on. Not only is he completely lost, he even looks at the open 3 point shooter and just decides to not even fake effort by making a step in his direction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.