SF draft prospects for Kings.....

With Gay coming off a devastating injury, the case for SF is big for the Kings......Josh Jackson of Kansas? Could use some bulk up but great mid-range shooting, good handles and anticipation on steals. Probably too high for Kings draft order - best SF in draft. Jayson Tatum - some good post moves, but not one use of left hand in highlights - didn't impress me as much. Jonathan Issac - very active including rebounding with good shooting range and handles for his taller frame, could use +10lbs muscle. Miles Bridges - maybe best athlete at SF (?) with great jumping/very good blocking ability for size - good lefty with great 3-pt shooting, a bit raw looking, a bit undersized - good pick? Justin Jackson - great 3 pt shooting, sleight frame - a little slow of foot, little defensive highlights, didn't impress much.

I think either Isaac or Bridges will be our second pick if we get one in this draft.

I am really liking Bridges he reminds me of Bonzi Wells. Just a brute at the SF position. I also like the potential of Isaac so I will be good with either player.

Miles Bridges is 100% the pick for me at SF. His skillset is extremely intriguing, and he'll probably be available with the NO pick. Athletic 6'7 SF who can shoot, defend, rebound, and handle the ball. Only concern is his lack of length and finishing ability.

Miles Bridges is 100% the pick for me at SF. His skillset is extremely intriguing, and he'll probably be available with the NO pick. Athletic 6'7 SF who can shoot, defend, rebound, and handle the ball. Only concern is his lack of length and finishing ability.
Josh Jackson is the superior prospect. Josh Jackson has Andrew Wiggins to his game with more take no prisoners attitude. Miles Bridges is nice because he already has an NBA body. But in way that kind of limits of ceiling, don't you think? He's more of a finished product. I also don't see him being able to create his own shot. He has that plodding Michael Beasley feel to his game. He does the ability to rise above the rim but I see him with average quickness and length. More of a role player than star is my initial impression with Bridges. Still need to see more.

There are stars at the top of this draft. De'Andre Fox has John Wall potential. Jackson is extremely enticing. Dennis Smith Jr looks like he can contribute immediately. That guy has straight line ability to get and finish at the rim like Isaiah Thomas. It doesn't matter who is in his way he's going around or through! I cannot get excited about Bridges and his workman-like game by comparison. And Jonathan Isaac looks far superior to Bridges too. If the Kings can nab Fox and Isaac, Fox and Jackson, DSJ and Jackson or even Frank and Isaac, all is forgiven for the Vlade trade. :)

Josh Jackson is the superior prospect. Josh Jackson has Andrew Wiggins to his game with more take no prisoners attitude. Miles Bridges is nice because he already has an NBA body. But in way that kind of limits of ceiling, don't you think? He's more of a finished product. I also don't see him being able to create his own shot. He has that plodding Michael Beasley feel to his game. He does the ability to rise above the rim but I see him with average quickness and length. More of a role player than star is my initial impression with Bridges. Still need to see more.

There are stars at the top of this draft. De'Andre Fox has John Wall potential. Jackson is extremely enticing. Dennis Smith Jr looks like he can contribute immediately. That guy has straight line ability to get and finish at the rim like Isaiah Thomas. It doesn't matter who is in his way he's going around or through! I cannot get excited about Bridges and his workman-like game by comparison. And Jonathan Isaac looks far superior to Bridges too. If the Kings can nab Fox and Isaac, Fox and Jackson, DSJ and Jackson or even Frank and Isaac, all is forgiven for the Vlade trade. :)
I like Isaac a little more just because of his physical profile but I think Miles will be a good player in the league. His body is basically a finished product. He probably has a few pounds to lose. His skill has plenty of time to develop he is a young freshman. If Isaac is there I think you take him. But I don't see him still being on the board when we pick. We can take a gamble and pick Isaac with our first pick. I would be surprised to see the Hornets or the Wolves pick a PG so either Frank or Fox can be on the board for the second pick if we choose to go that route.

Josh Jackson would be more desirable, but the Kings won't pick high enough - he will be a top 3 pick....the 6ers swap hurts them in that regard. I think the kings will pick around 7 and 10. Bridges will be available - although he doesn't look as polished, he looks to be the most explosive SF, and had a bunch of defensive highlights, another big plus. I like Fox, but he might get picked earlier. Issac looks good, but needs to bulk up, and would be a bit of a project even at a high pick. He has good range and rebounding. Fox and Bridges would be my pair - both with defensive tendencies and great athletes. Bridges shows also he's no slouch at 3pt shooting either.

Josh Jackson would be more desirable, but the Kings won't pick high enough - he will be a top 3 pick....the 6ers swap hurts them in that regard. I think the kings will pick around 7 and 10. Bridges will be available - although he doesn't look as polished, he looks to be the most explosive SF, and had a bunch of defensive highlights, another big plus. I like Fox, but he might get picked earlier. Issac looks good, but needs to bulk up, and would be a bit of a project even at a high pick. He has good range and rebounding. Fox and Bridges would be my pair - both with defensive tendencies and great athletes. Bridges shows also he's no slouch at 3pt shooting either.
I really think Fox will go fourth... He just seems far and away the fourth best prospect. Wonder how high up we can get by packaging our two firsts?

I still need to see more of these guys but now I take Jonathon Isaac over Brides 8 days per week. Isaac moves like a guard. He moves better than Ingram. I think he's quicker and better at change of direction and crossover. I think there is a lot of past drafts were Isaac would be the #1 or #2 pick. There is no awkwardness to his game. He's basically a SG in a 6'10" body. That's one of the reasons Boogie puts up numbers. He has a small forward skill set in a centers body. And even though Isaac is so lean, he doesn't strike me as weak. I think he has or will develop wiry strength without bulk like KD.

I really think Fox will go fourth... He just seems far and away the fourth best prospect. Wonder how high up we can get by packaging our two firsts?
That left hand jam he made was vicious! He started from the free throw line he didn't have much of running start and just threw it down clean. Definite John Wall comparisons in terms of size and speed. He couldn't shoot in college either.

I think you're right, what team with PG needs would pass up a Mike Conley-clone? Too bad for the Kings. But who knows. I don't think packaging 2 picks is worth the potential of one of the picks becoming great - better to have 2 horses rather than one. Tatum looks overrated to me at SF. He looks like maybe a very good role player or perhaps a starter if improves - but not a top 10 player imo in potential.

I still need to see more of these guys but now I take Jonathon Isaac over Brides 8 days per week. Isaac moves like a guard. He moves better than Ingram. I think he's quicker and better at change of direction and crossover. I think there is a lot of past drafts were Isaac would be the #1 or #2 pick. There is no awkwardness to his game. He's basically a SG in a 6'10" body. That's one of the reasons Boogie puts up numbers. He has a small forward skill set in a centers body. And even though Isaac is so lean, he doesn't strike me as weak. I think he has or will develop wiry strength without bulk like KD.
Would not be unhappy with Isaac. I just like Bridges defensive highlights - that's firebrand spirit. Isaac did not strike me as great defender in his highlights, and he can certainly get pushed around in the block. He might be able to work on it. I just think the Kings need defensive able players at SF and PG. Isaac seems like an offensive talent, no doubt.

Would not be unhappy with Isaac. I just like Bridges defensive highlights - that's firebrand spirit. Isaac did not strike me as great defender in his highlights, and he can certainly get pushed around in the block. He might be able to work on it. I just think the Kings need defensive able players at SF and PG. Isaac seems like an offensive talent, no doubt.
This is just something to ponder: Bridges has a 6'8" wingspan. Very average. Big guards are longer. Doesn't Malachi have a 7'0" wingspan (who allegedly cannot play SF per estimation of some) .... why yes he does! What this means is Bridges needs to highly highly (did I say highly?) highly skilled to be star in the league. He has to be a 40% three point shooter and be able to overpower opponents with force and quickness and touch. Is he that good? Hmmmm....we'll see. By contrast Isaac has 7'1 wingspan. That becomes significant when playing the passing lanes, getting rebounds and finishing at rim. When you combine high skill with length, which is what Isaac is, you have best chances for stardom. With a guy like Buddy he does not have that superior length or athleticism but is highly skilled bucket getter. The point I am making is when prospect does not have ideal vital statistics he better be extremely skilled. I'd rather take guy with vitals and skills, and that guy is Isaac.

This is just something to ponder: Bridges has a 6'8" wingspan. Very average. Big guards are longer. Doesn't Malachi have a 7'0" wingspan (who allegedly cannot play SF per estimation of some) .... why yes he does! What this means is Bridges needs to highly highly (did I say highly?) highly skilled to be star in the league. He has to be a 40% three point shooter and be able to overpower opponents with force and quickness and touch. Is he that good? Hmmmm....we'll see. By contrast Isaac has 7'1 wingspan. That becomes significant when playing the passing lanes, getting the rebounds and finishing at the rim. When you combine high skill with length, which is what Isaac is, then you have best chances for stardom. With a guy like Buddy he does not have that superior length or athleticism but is highly skilled bucket getter. The point that I am making is that when the prospect does not have the ideal vital statistics he better be extremely skilled. I'd rather take the guy with the vitals and the skills, and that guy is Isaac.
I can agree with that assessment. I'm trying to find a highlight reel of Isaac. In that reel he split a double team like a guard. I was like :eek:

I think Isaac will be just fine at small forward defensively. While he looks razor thin, he is actually 20 pounds heavier than Brandon Ingram, and is 10 pounds heavier than Giannis was when he came into the league and 15 pounds heavier than Kevin Durant was when he came into the league. I was reading up on him and apparently he had a recent growth spurt of 6 inches not too long ago. He most likely hasn't had any time to put on any weight to accommodate his new height. Lock him in an NBA weight room for a few months and he'll be fine.

That left hand jam he made was vicious! He started from the free throw line he didn't have much of running start and just threw it down clean. Definite John Wall comparisons in terms of size and speed. He couldn't shoot in college either.
I remember Wade had a dunk like that when he was in the tourney his final year with Marquette. A dunk that was out of the ordinary in the college game from a guard. Westbrook was another guard that looked like a man among boys in the tourney. He went head to head against Rose and you couldn't tell who the better athlete was. Guys like that get drafted higher than expected usually.

No more Kansas players please, I've seen enough of bill self's freak athletes freak out...give me more 'cats...monk and fox with the 6 and 8 and I'm ready to move to Sacto and buy those season tickets

I can't really get a handle on who to draft. I think Jackson is kind of a no brainer if it weren't for his possible character issues. I would take Tatum if he falls. Issac has a lot of potential due to his length and shooting ability. But he is known for not being as motivated as he could be. He is very lean. Can he bulk up? Bridges I would pick if we draft a bit later and all others are off the board.

No more Kansas players please, I've seen enough of bill self's freak athletes freak out...give me more 'cats...monk and fox with the 6 and 8 and I'm ready to move to Sacto and buy those season tickets
I won't be mad if we draft Monk, but do we need another score first sg? Monk is obviously a great player and if he's there at 8 then he's solid value, but everything about his game screams 6th man extraordinaire. I think one of either Hield or Malachi would fit that role admirably and allow us to focus on more pressing needs like pg and sf.

I think Isaac will be the best SF within reach in the draft but I think PG is both a bigger need and will be better value when we pick. I like Bridges though so I could I would not be upset if Vlade took him with that second lottery pick if we do end up with 2 picks.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Problem is the draft is before FA so there's no guarantees. Best case we grab a PG and a SF this draft. Even with Porter we could still use another wing.
The draft is risky enough without trying to micro-manage "position need" into it. If Divac can really get the BPAs for the two #1s (regardless of position) he will have done a great job. If he doesn't, it won't matter what positions they play.

If the Kings are still looking for a small forward come their 2nd round pick, I would take SF Dillon Brooks, 6'7" from Oregon, if he is still available.

The kid is a high energy, hustle, never say die attitude. He is a kid that you can go to war with every game and know he will play with all his heart.

He could be one of those players you nab with your second round pick, who winds up being better than your first round pick.

If the Kings are still looking for a small forward come their 2nd round pick, I would take SF Dillon Brooks, 6'7" from Oregon, if he is still available.

The kid is a high energy, hustle, never say die attitude. He is a kid that you can go to war with every game and know he will play with all his heart.

He could be one of those players you nab with your second round pick, who winds up being better than your first round pick.
I like Brooks a lot. He's a guy who produced on the NCAA level but will drop because he's undersized (and with a short wingspan) and not all that athletic. Classic 2nd round guy who could produce in the right situation.

I am still hoping for Jawun Evans, Caleb Swanigan or Justin Jackson to drop but I think they've played their way into the first round at this point.

The other wings I like in the second round are Blossomgame from Clemson and Devin Robinson from Florida. Both of those guys have the tools but haven't quite put it all together yet. If either sticks in the NBA it will likely be as a defensive minded backup SF.

Last edited:
I like Brooks a lot. He's a guy who produced on the NCAA level but will drop because he's undersized (and with a short wingspan) and not all that athletic. Classic 2nd round guy who could produce in the right situation.
I watch a lot of PAC 12 games and Dillon Brooks reminds me of the IT of Small Forwards.

I remember seeing IT at UW and thinking this kid will make it to the NBA on sheer heart alone. Brooks is the same type of player, but in an undersized SF package. You just keep seeing him all over the court. You wonder how he gets to every ball, but he is that type of player.

If the Kings can get him in the second round, I think he could be good. :)

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Makes no sense to me whatsoever that Monk is so high on the draft boards and Trier is so low (On NBAdraft.net Monk is at #10 and Trier at #31). If they were stocks I'd be shorting Monk and buying Trier. Interestingly, both have the same reach - 6'6". If you really want a 6'3" guard who can shoot then pick Trier lower in the draft and use your higher pick(s) on a player other than Monk.

Last edited: