Pick situation (split)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if we, along with the pels and the sixers keep losing, we will more than likely have 2 top 10 picks? I know Chicago only gets ours if it falls outside the top 10. Philly may opt to not swapping this year, which is obvious if they finish worse than us. Are we stuck in this dilemma for years or is there a breaking/expiring point on these pick swaps/pick surrenders??

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if we, along with the pels and the sixers keep losing, we will more than likely have 2 top 10 picks? I know Chicago only gets ours if it falls outside the top 10. Philly may opt to not swapping this year, which is obvious if they finish worse than us. Are we stuck in this dilemma for years or is there a breaking/expiring point on these pick swaps/pick surrenders??
I can only speak to the bolded portion of your quote. As it stands right now, we would get the 6 (from Pelicans), 7 (our own), and 35 (from Philly) picks. As long as the Pelicans pick doesn't land in the top 3 we get their pick (No way outside of lottery balls does that happen. Phoenix is currently 3rd worst and is 4 games worse than N.O. with 20 games left) then we have two top 7 picks.

First round picks:
2017 Potential swap with Philly. That's it. No more swaps. Would not worry about losing pick to Chicago.
2018 pick is ours.
2019 pick is Philly's.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Carmichael Dave said that we could at best get the 2 and 4 picks.

Getting the #2, #4 and #35 picks would be so unlike past draft history for the Kings. If it happens and the players are studs everything could change for the Kings.
Given Kings luck and history I can bet this more likely to be the case than us getting pick 2 and 4.

We win the lottery but Sixers swap with us so we get pick 7 instead of 1 and NO gets a top 3 pick this year, have a good FA period and their pick has immediate impact and that pick next year is in the mid 20s.

Another good night for the picks.

Milwaukee win
Philly Loss
New York Win (Magic loss is bad, but we're closer to the Knicks than Magic in standings)
Miami win (secures them far away from us in standings)
Hornets win
Denver win
Pelicans loss
Kings loss

Pelicans struggling pretty much takes them out of the playoff hunt, which is excellent, but we do want them to win a few more games. Ideally, they finish around 8 with very little chance of jumping up. Right now at 6, they have a 20% chance of getting into the top 3. At 8 or 9, it drops down to 9 and 5% respectively of getting into the top 3

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My understanding is the best case scenario for the Kings now is that the Pelicans come in at fourth, while Kings own pick comes in at fifth (to avoid giving to the Bulls), and the Sixers are somewhere in 1-3. Results of this are 2 top 10 picks 4 and 5

Worst case scenario is the Pelicans tank and get 1-3 while the Kings go 10+ and give their pick away to the Bulls. No 1st round picks but 2 2nd round picks.
Best case scenario for us would be for Philly to get lucky in the lottery, and get the 1st pick, and then for us to get lucky in the lottery and get the 2nd pick, and then for New Orleans to fall all the way to 4th. That would give us the 2nd and 4th picks in the draft. Now that's probably a million to one shot, but is possible. Of course a lot of bad things are possible as well, like New Orleans gets lucky in the Lottery and moves into the top three, and then we end up in the 11th spot, out of the playoffs, but with no pick. Hey, we have New Orleans 2nd round pick no matter what....

bajaden

Hall of Famer
When we lose this years NO pick, AND WE WILL, because we are the KANGZ, vlade is gonna be thrown out of here on his friggin ear. I swear there is gonna be some serious kings fans rage when vlades ineptitude really shows itself in this years draft.
I'll tell you what I find despicable. It's when a fan dislikes someone so much, like Vlade, that he actually hopes for bad things to happen to the team just so he can prove his point. Your wishing for failure, just so Vlade can be fired. You've earned you way onto my ignore list.

I'll tell you what I find despicable. It's when a fan dislikes someone so much, like Vlade, that he actually hopes for bad things to happen to the team just so he can prove his point. Your wishing for failure, just so Vlade can be fired. You've earned you way onto my ignore list.
Glad I'm on your ignore list.
I'm in no way hoping for the kings to fail at all. I have been a fan since day 1 and I know the luck (or lack of) of this franchise. Do you know the history of this franchise in Sacramento? I'm bemoaning the luck of this star crossed franchise. If you can't see that, so be it.

Hoping that this franchise fails........... oh god.
Yeah, because I love that the team I follow is a laughingstock.
Yeah, because watching a team that crushes the hopes of almost all other teams wasn't fun in the early 2000's.
I'd much rather watch an owner and newbie GM s*7+ all over themselves on a national stage. Yeah.... that's the ticket. I love that this franchise and because of the franchise, this city, is a friggin punchline.
Where's the face palm emogee when you need it.

Either way, please keep me on your ignore list. Thank you and good day sir! Good day.......

Last edited:
They also freed up $18.5M of cash (which, as Yogi Berra says, is just like real money).

The Kings had a choice of paying out $18.5M to players they were going to cut while also taking a cap hit for the next five years, or giving up two pick swaps and a first-round pick. They chose to "sell" that first-round pick (and the swaps, and Stauskas) for $18.5M and some additional cap flexibility. Salary floor rules meant that Philly effectively paid less than that (when all is said and done the Kings actually "stole" that money from Philly's players, which is an interesting trick), but from the Kings' side that's not really a terrible bargain. Now, what they did with that $18.5M and the cap flexibility didn't work, but that doesn't mean they didn't understand the rules. That $18.5M is effectively what they paid Marco Belinelli ($19M/3). Now, Belinelli didn't work out, but they obviously thought he would, and while without the trade they could have used the rules differently to get the cap space to sign him, that wouldn't have helped them have the CASH to sign him, since they would be paying that money to players they had waived instead.

In short, the Kings sold a first round pick for a lot of money. Then they screwed up with what they spent the money on. But these are two separate transactions.

If you want to break down the current ramifications of that deal with the sixers. The Kings traded two players who would have been cut, Nik Stauskas and an unprotected 1st in 2019 for Kosta Koufos, Malichai Richardson and ~18 Million dollars.

Pick situation is going really well for us post-trade. A lot of the teams we want to be winning have been playing well. Last Night:

Portland win
Dallas win
Phx Loss

I really do think we can end up catching the Suns. They're playing really good ball right now and taking virtually everyone to the end of the game. Would not surprise me to see them end the year with 27 or 28 wins. Only the Nets and Lakers have the top 2 spots locked up

Our own pick can only be the one after the 76ers at best, regardless of us "passing" PHX . It would take both the 76ers and us jumping into top three for us to pick better than PHX.

Question: If Philly land the #11 pick (or worse) and we land the #10 pick (or better) in the lottery, and Philly decide to swap, would we still owe Chicago our draft pick because it's outside the top ten, or would we keep our draft pick because it's Philly's pick not Sacramento's pick?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Question: If Philly land the #11 pick (or worse) and we land the #10 pick (or better) in the lottery, and Philly decide to swap, would we still owe Chicago our draft pick because it's outside the top ten...
No. The Chicago portion of our pick is settled first. The Sixers pick swap happens second, if applicable. The Pelicans pick is independent of both of these - it is ours unless it ends up top three, and cannot go to either Chicago or Philly.

This used to be stickied up top, and I don't know what happened to it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No. The Chicago portion of our pick is settled first. The Sixers pick swap happens second, if applicable. The Pelicans pick is independent of both of these - it is ours unless it ends up top three, and cannot go to either Chicago or Philly.

This used to be stickied up top, and I don't know what happened to it.
The other thread was stickied and, for some reason, nobody saw it. When I split this discussion out of a game thread (I think), I didn't sticky it so it wouldn't get overlooked. :)

gunks

Hall of Famer
Given Kings luck and history I can bet this more likely to be the case than us getting pick 2 and 4.

We win the lottery but Sixers swap with us so we get pick 7 instead of 1 and NO gets a top 3 pick this year, have a good FA period and their pick has immediate impact and that pick next year is in the mid 20s.
You forgot about us winning the lotto in 2019 and having to give the #1 pick to Philly!

I'm with you though, best to assume the worst with this franchise. The last time a draft went the way I wanted it to was when we picked up Cuz and Whiteside..... and we know how that turned out in the long run!

Our own pick can only be the one after the 76ers at best, regardless of us "passing" PHX . It would take both the 76ers and us jumping into top three for us to pick better than PHX.
Both of which are very possible. Would anyone bet the over on 3 total wins for us and Philly the rest of the year?

Some interesting thoughts, if the Kings happen on two top 10 picks in the draft, ought they trade both up for say a top 3 pick? Or conversely trade 1 of the 2 down for 2 later top 20ish picks (in other words more players)? Or even more conversely trade both down for 4 later prospects? The converse last year is not looking very good this year. Statistics would lean towards having as many prospects as possible (qty over quality) though.

Some interesting thoughts, if the Kings happen on two top 10 picks in the draft, ought they trade both up for say a top 3 pick? Or conversely trade 1 of the 2 down for 2 later top 20ish picks (in other words more players)? Or even more conversely trade both down for 4 later prospects? The converse last year is not looking very good this year. Statistics would lean towards having as many prospects as possible (qty over quality) though.
I think this is a top heavy draft. As one draft guru said, there are about 7 players who would normally be top 3 picks and 4 more who would fall between 4 - 7. After that, it is a fairly normal draft.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Getting the #2, #4 and #35 picks would be so unlike past draft history for the Kings. If it happens and the players are studs everything could change for the Kings.
Even if they have two picks in the top 10 it could change. This is a strong draft. I just want those two picks this year; don't want to take a chance with the NO pick next year. There's no excuse for not drafting two flat out studs if they get two picks in the top 10. Add those guys to Skal and Buddy and you can at least see the glimmer of light just before sunrise.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Even if they have two picks in the top 10 it could change. This is a strong draft. I just want those two picks this year; don't want to take a chance with the NO pick next year. There's no excuse for not drafting two flat out studs if they get two picks in the top 10. Add those guys to Skal and Buddy and you can at least see the glimmer of light just before sunrise.
Absolutely. I wouldn't trade our two picks for anyone but Fultz and at that, I would have to think about it. It is very possible our picks will both be in top 7. The dream crusher would be if NO gets into the top three and we lose that pick. I see no risk in a swap with Philly as Sacto and Philly may end up in roughly the same spot. I would never trade down, especially this year. With the picks we probably will have, we may get two difference makers even by accident. The way we have drafted recently, this would be like going to heaven. At my age, that sounds good.

Absolutely. I wouldn't trade our two picks for anyone but Fultz and at that, I would have to think about it. It is very possible our picks will both be in top 7. The dream crusher would be if NO gets into the top three and we lose that pick. I see no risk in a swap with Philly as Sacto and Philly may end up in roughly the same spot. I would never trade down, especially this year. With the picks we probably will have, we may get two difference makers even by accident. The way we have drafted recently, this would be like going to heaven. At my age, that sounds good.
The Pelicans are looking like an 10-12 pick while the Sixers may leapfrog the Kings and swap with them. Pelicans are not being helpful although getting a lesser pick is not the worst outcome.

This is looking more like a 7-9 and 11-12. Could be worse, as in only 1 pick. Kings might be able to get close to a top player at 1 position or at least a 2nd best player at that position in the draft. I'd like to see either a SF and PG 1st or SF and PF 2nd.