Farewell Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just completely heartbroken. I literally feel like a piece of me died last night. I just can't follow them for now. I remember being one of, if not first, in line to buy regular season tickets the year DMC got here. I was in grad school at the time and didn't have much money, but me and my little bro were so excited to buy opening day tickets. I had started watching college basketball the year before just because I was excited to see who the Kings might draft. My bro and I were really excited that DMC was coming and we just *knew* our fortunes as fans were turning up.

Since that time, I graduated and have continued to support the kings more and more each season. My wife knows that buying me Kings gear is a safe-bet for any holiday, birthday etc. I went halfsies on season tickets for a while until my daughter was born and it became too hard to go to so many games. This morning I couldn't even look at my favorite Kings hat that my wife bought me for my bday a few years ago.

All day long I've been depressed and checking in on other boards to see just how ridiculous we look as fans for having supported this organization. I thought Vlade could talk sense into Vivek but I see now that was wrong. I don't know if I am impressed by other fans who are sticking around or if we are all suffering from some sort of Stockholm syndrome. I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that I'm going to be taking a major, if not permanent, hiatus from being a fan. I've imagine putting all my Kings gear in a box and throwing it away. Sorry for the long vent but I really feel like I will miss this community of fans the most. I've never met any of you in real life but in a crazy way I feel like I know all of you. I can say I am definitely in the grieving stage of loss. Good luck, Kingsfans.com!
Oh please! It's just basketball. At the end of the day, this stuff has no bearing on our own lives. It's just a distraction from everyday stuff.

With that being said, I'm not a quitter. I'll stick with my Kings for the rest of my life. That will make it that much sweeter when we when a championship 30 years from now.

Oh please! It's just basketball. At the end of the day, this stuff has no bearing on our own lives. It's just a distraction from everyday stuff.

With that being said, I'm not a quitter. I'll stick with my Kings for the rest of my life. That will make it that much sweeter when we when a championship 30 years from now.
30 years? you heard vlade. we made the culture change, we got rid of the problem and the best deal available. after a few more trades, i see vlade drafting a couple more centers and picking up a few more shooting guards and we can see a championship team consisting entirely of centers and shooting guards in 2-3 years :p

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

And don't be surprised if that's how long it takes, too... But some of us ain't got thirty years left. And furthermore, you can keep talking that yang about not being a "quitter" all you want to, but there's no virtue in staying in a loveless marriage. You don't get extra credit for that.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I'm really going to miss a lot of the posters who are now saying goodbye. I for one can never stop rooting for my team and nothing will change that for me. On the other hand if this forum becomes populated primarily by the "I hate Demarcus" crowd who returned like cicadas every time he had trouble, and some of the long-term posters who stuck with this team and feel that this is a final straw leave; I may have spend a little less time here myself. But game nights I will always be watching my team and cheering for guys like Temple and Tolliver who has been playing their hearts out every night and promise to do so even with Demarcus gone.

Last edited:
And don't be surprised if that's how long it takes, too... But some of us ain't got thirty years left. And furthermore, you can keep talking that yang about not being a "quitter" all you want to, but there's no virtue in staying in a loveless marriage. You don't get extra credit for that.
This isn't a marriage. It's sports. It's not real life. You realize the Kings have no idea who you and I are and, frankly, don't give a chit about us unless it involves getting our money.

You can quit if you want. If it takes 30 years, then so be it. I'll be along for the ride.

Really? $17k per year for season tickets has no bearing on my life?

This isn't a marriage. It's sports. It's not real life. You realize the Kings have no idea who you and I are and, frankly, don't give a chit about us unless it involves getting our money.

You can quit if you want. If it takes 30 years, then so be it. I'll be along for the ride.
Emotions are real life, and they are irrational. Why are you giving that person a hard time for having emotions about this?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Fine. Stick with the team. That's your right. What's not your right is to ridicule or berate someone who is responding to the thread, as you did above. At this moment, we are Kings fans with a lot of different emotions and POV. As long as they follow the board rules, they're free to post those emotions and POV - and to do so without being dressed down for it. Thanks.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I applaud those who will stick around. I feel for the ones who are leaving. It takes a lot to support this team, just when you things couldn't get worse...the grim reaper awaits you on the doorstep. Who knows when the next franchise player walks through those doors, maybe by then we will all be grey and/or deceased. Maybe not. Who's to say? Cheering for a team that is controlled by that snake known as Vivek, that is the toughest pill to swallow out of all. Mental fortitude is required. Misery, pain & incompetence. Just another season in a life of a Kings fan.

I'm just completely heartbroken. I literally feel like a piece of me died last night. I just can't follow them for now. I remember being one of, if not first, in line to buy regular season tickets the year DMC got here. I was in grad school at the time and didn't have much money, but me and my little bro were so excited to buy opening day tickets. I had started watching college basketball the year before just because I was excited to see who the Kings might draft. My bro and I were really excited that DMC was coming and we just *knew* our fortunes as fans were turning up.

Since that time, I graduated and have continued to support the kings more and more each season. My wife knows that buying me Kings gear is a safe-bet for any holiday, birthday etc. I went halfsies on season tickets for a while until my daughter was born and it became too hard to go to so many games. This morning I couldn't even look at my favorite Kings hat that my wife bought me for my bday a few years ago.

All day long I've been depressed and checking in on other boards to see just how ridiculous we look as fans for having supported this organization. I thought Vlade could talk sense into Vivek but I see now that was wrong. I don't know if I am impressed by other fans who are sticking around or if we are all suffering from some sort of Stockholm syndrome. I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that I'm going to be taking a major, if not permanent, hiatus from being a fan. I've imagine putting all my Kings gear in a box and throwing it away. Sorry for the long vent but I really feel like I will miss this community of fans the most. I've never met any of you in real life but in a crazy way I feel like I know all of you. I can say I am definitely in the grieving stage of loss. Good luck, Kingsfans.com!
I felt the same way as you when I heard the news. I think since I am older and have been through a similar thing before I am dealing with it differently this time. Hang in there brother it gets better.

I am surprised how so many ppl here have actually still been sticking around, even prior to the trade. I have stopped watching games and checking box scores about a year ago. It wasn't a "decision" I made, just something that happened on itself. I just don't feel connected anymore. I don't feel connected to any of the players (especially with cousins who I got to meet and was an a**hole). But most importantly I have been disconnecting because of the disfunctionality (if that's a word) of the front office. It's one thing being a bad team. It's another thing being a bad team because everything something good happens they just find a way to f*** it up - coach Malone, Isaiah Thomas, horrible draft picks.. etc.. so what's the point?

i'm going to take a long break from the kings. there is only so much a fan can take from this stupid franchise. grant, vivek & even vlade have pushed it to the limits. for those fans that will continue the abuse, i tip my hate to you.

I have no issues if you don't renew tix because you don't like the direction of the team, but to quit as a fan of the team and act like a bad trade is ruining a life is a little overboard.
It is NOT only about this trade. This trade is the straw that broke camel's back.

Its an accumulation of **** ups after **** ups. At some point enough is enough!

I have to admit that as soon as the trade was announced, I got very emotional and my first reaction was to say "f*** this team, I'm out". But then, even if I wanted to forget about this team, at least for a while, I realized I can't. Maybe I won't watch the games for some time. I'm sure I will be very hard with this ownership. Of course I won't expect anything good from this team in the next 3-5 years. But the Kings will always be my team.

I will follow Cuz in New Orleans. I will cheer for him. I hope he will do well and become the player he wasn't able to be here. I will always love him and I will never forgive this ownership for trading him.

Now let's just get ready to be Nets bad for the next few years.

I was never an important member on this forum. But I have spent at least 50% of my spare time reading all the comments and opinions here. I can't say I love everyone here but I sure did enjoy every encounter I've come across, heated or not. :)

I'm gonna miss each and every one of you. I will still come by once in a while but I'm planning to just stop watching the NBA in general. From the shifting of the way the game's being played nowadays to the last decade of being a loyal Kings fan, I have had enough. Thank you VF21 and everyone here for tolerating me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was never an important member on this forum. But I have spent at least 50% of my spare time reading all the comments and opinions here. I can't say I love everyone here but I sure did enjoy every encounter I've come across, heated or not. :)

I'm gonna miss each and every one of you. I will still come by once in a while but I'm planning to just stop watching the NBA in general. From the shifting of the way the game's being played nowadays to the last decade of being a loyal Kings fan, I have had enough. Thank you VF21 and everyone here for tolerating me.
We'll leave a light on for you in case you decide to return. :)

I am so dishearten by the news. I follow this board a lot. I never login to post anymore but I always follow my Kings. I am so disappointed on the one person I thought I could trust to right this ship we are all on. Even if this wasn't your idea to trade one of the only hopes we fans have. Why did you fail so bad at getting what you got back from this trade? Why did you let us down? You were the only bright spot and hope we had from the front office and ownership. Now i am lost and have no hope for this front office and owner.

Count me out as well. Fan for almost 20 years now. And has made checking out this forum as part of my daily routine for over a decade now. This is it for me, I'm gonna look for some other activity to fill the vacant hour every day that I used to spend here. Most of you may not feel it. But you guys are like extended family to me. I'm gonna walk with some emptiness for maybe a few days until I get back to maybe coding hours again. Adios.

Special thanks to Capt, Brick, VF, Tetsujin, Swissh, Piksi, Baja, and all the other well opinionated folks here. You are the fellow I look up to in this forum. I'll look for my peace now.
I'm done too. I'm an international fan, I don't live in Sacramento. I've lived there just a year, almost 20 years ago. So the love for this team and the perennial hope that things could change kept me here. But now it's too much. I've reached my limit. This franchise doesn't deserve my loyalty.
I'm out. I wish all of you who are still able to cheer for this team the best.
Basically a mix of this.

As an international fan with absolutely no links to the area/ team im going too. Basketball is a fun sport - look at the amount of points, the slam dunks and the fast speed... do you think they could ever make Space Jam about football - I doubt it! But it is no fun at all watching this team, they are crap. But that's fine, I can deal with that. I support loads of terrible sports teams - however those sports team actually attempt to get better, not constantly throw it away. I wanna get up in the middle of the night to enjoy watching the NBA, not see this team lose again. The owner and GM doesn't deserve another second of my time. You trade the only bright spot and I'm not going to hang around - Im just thankful im not born into it!

I wish you all nothing but the best in the future, I hope this works out amazingly and I can root from afar. I also would like to thank Capt, Brick etc... who have kept me reading this site every day for years.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Basically a mix of this.

As an international fan with absolutely no links to the area/ team im going too. Basketball is a fun sport - look at the amount of points, the slam dunks and the fast speed... do you think they could ever make Space Jam about football - I doubt it! But it is no fun at all watching this team, they are crap. But that's fine, I can deal with that. I support loads of terrible sports teams - however those sports team actually attempt to get better, not constantly throw it away...
I feel like I am rapidly approaching a similar viewpoint: I don't have any ties to Sacramento, or California, at all. I don't owe the Kings my loyalty, and it's not like they've earned it. I mean, I'm not the kind of ****-rider that would jump on a winning team's bandwagon but... ****, man... I can be a fan of a ****ty, poorly run team that's in my own time zone, and actually get a full night's sleep, for a change.

I feel like I am rapidly approaching a similar viewpoint: I don't have any ties to Sacramento, or California, at all. I don't owe the Kings my loyalty, and it's not like they've earned it. I mean, I'm not the kind of ****-rider that would jump on a winning team's bandwagon but... ****, man... I can be a fan of a ****ty, poorly run team that's in my own time zone, and actually get a full night's sleep, for a change.
I fell in love with the Kings because they were diverse in skills; because they didn't fall in line with the superstar-ball; they played team ball sharing the rocks; they were fun to watch and actually made a few serious attempts to take the throne, and be the first diversified talented team that didn't rely on a Kobe or a Shaq to win a ring.

None mentioned above is persistent in the current regime. I don't need the team I like to always be winning, but I need them to at least be clearing a clean path to win and not be wondering if the guys in charge are even entertaining "win" as an option. I'd quicker root for the 76ers, at least they came out and asked their fans to trust the process. We didn't even get that. Our franchise player didn't even get a straight answer before being shipped out.

I understand that's how the business is, I have dealt with enough of this from being a freelance photographer in a transient town called Las Vegas. I always strive to put the personal touch in my work, and I don't need more of the same crap from the thing I spent at my leisure. If I come across a bad client in my business, I don't have to take the job. If my basketball team is trying to pull a fast one on me, I don't have to give them my business.

It is definitely been difficult to remain a fan after the glory years left, this has been especially hard. I just purchased tix on Saturday to the game down here against the Clippers thinking we would be competing for a playoff position and now nothing. Still a fan, hoping for prospects that will develop to something exciting to watch.

I have to admit that as soon as the trade was announced, I got very emotional and my first reaction was to say "f*** this team, I'm out". But then, even if I wanted to forget about this team, at least for a while, I realized I can't. Maybe I won't watch the games for some time. I'm sure I will be very hard with this ownership. Of course I won't expect anything good from this team in the next 3-5 years. But the Kings will always be my team.

I will follow Cuz in New Orleans. I will cheer for him. I hope he will do well and become the player he wasn't able to be here. I will always love him and I will never forgive this ownership for trading him.

Now let's just get ready to be Nets bad for the next few years.
I word for word agree with everything you just said here. I was ready to be done, but I know I'll never really be able to pull away.

I don't expect to few many, if any, games for the rest of this season. But maybe, after an off season and a sense of a new beginning, I can pick back up and just keep my expectations low

I will never give up on the Kings. They have been a losing franchise for a long time, so nothing is really going to change that much.

I have become a Boston fan though, and now might become a NOLA fan. It is sports, not life. Enjoy it for what it is, or start following a new sport. It is supposed to be fun.

The nice thing about this (unlike marriage/family) is I have options that can tie me over until I get over this. Soccer is about to start and I can watch Arizona basketball without needing to buy league pass for my hoops fix until I feel ok about the Kings again. Maybe I'll date someone who likes the Blazers enough to make me enjoy watching them like I did last year. I took a lot of joy watching Cousins play. Knowing he wanted to be in Sacramento tears my heart out. I think about how unceremoniously we've treated our franchise guys on the way out and it makes me sad. Why would anyone want to come to Sac now? I don't feel like emotionally/financially giving to this team right now but they'll always be my NBA team.

So how many of you who said you were going to quit are now having second thoughts after seeing the potential for some of our kids?
I never got a chance to quit because I was at that first Denver game after the trade. So I came around really really quickly even thought I wasn't in favor of trading him initially.

Who would have thought the Kings could simultaneously tank the record and rekindle the fans spirit with play & potential though.. that is what is amazing to me. This is the most entertaining losing team I've seen as a Kings fan.

Since the trade we have gotten worse but somehow I feel more encouraged about the future. Skal, Papa, Hield, Temple, Malachi, Stein. all make me feel encouraged about the team and are the kind of guys I like to cheer for. I have been a fan since we got here back in 85 and I will continue that going forward. I hope the team turns it around for all of us who live and die by this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.