Evaluating the Cousins Trade.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Hold on there.

You're saying we could have gotten more for the best big man in the game, and a top 5 player in the league than a mid first round pick?

Ok, but that's just like, your opinion, man.
You're obviously forgetting we got the man that averaged 20/5/5 in his rookie year who was then SABOTAGED by DMC, and also the next Steph Curry. We're lucky the Pels even graciously offered their first rounder on top of such a sweet sweet deal.

This trade does not even go thru on 2k.

So Vlade did not have to say he had better offers to disrespect Cousins anymore than he already did. Cousins may well go for 80 on us next time. I think the voices in the Org that listen to grants show got to Vlade and they ultimately panicked.

Trading Cousins, our only asset of value should have been much more thought out.

So who is the next scape goat when Buddy does not turn into Steph? Vlade? Joerger?

Something tells me if we keep the majority of the vets like Collison and Lawson, this season at least, will play out about the same if we had kept Cousins, Joerger will get these guys playing hard. Have to see what the team looks like on Thursday though. As of now roster is

Collison/Lawson
Mclemore/Temple/Hield/Galloway
Afflalo/Tyreke/Malachi
Tolliver/Skal
WCS/Koufos/Papa
I'm going to be furious if more than 2 vets on this team are getting minutes. Vlade better not freaking hedge again and waste 30 games of development of the future. Skal, Hield, WCS, Papa and Malachi when he gets back should be getting all the minutes they can handle.

The Kings went from retaining Cousins and having stability to blowing it all up in a week or two. There was no major event that people know of that would cause this. The team was actually improving under Cousins/Joerger while Vlade claims he saw no future with Cousins.

So the questions that needs to be asked is what changed in the past week or two to cause all of this? Why the panic and rush into this trade?
Lies. It was all lies.

You/I/we are being played.
This is not about winning. DO NOT believe them when they say they want to win. They want to save money. They are not on our sid. They are not trying to build a winner. This franchise can't hold a candle to ones like the Spurs. I had defended Vlade, calling him our Only Hope™. No more.

This is not incompetence. This is not a difference of opinion. This is, as Brick stated, abuse. Just because basketball is a business, does not mean that owners need to operate like this.

This was purely a cost saving measure, and at a time when the franchise value has DOUBLED in three years.

Cousins was taken totally by surprise on this one. They are blaming his attitude, according to Vlade. Read the statement. If his attitude was such a problem, and he was so committed to being here (I take Cousins at his word), then you make counseling mandatory. You make anger management mandatory. You have a dead serious, man to man conversation about his future here. You don't tell him to his face, and in every public outlet that you are absolutely not trading him, that he's the future of the franchise, etc. You effing talk to him. You put your cards and your concerns on the table.

This is an absolutely disgraceful way of doing business. I will not patronize a business that treats it's employees and its customers this way. I will be effectively be boycotting the team.

Sports team owners have gotten a bit full of themselves and are now over reaching. The extreme valuations of franchises maybe tend to have that effect. We do not need to tolerate it. If you choose to remain a fan, I don't begrudge that. But for me, doing so would be to endorse a way of doing business that I think is wrong.

The Maloofs treated the fans wrongly. I checked out mentally for a lot of that time. Then the big save. Then more BS. Then Vlade was what saw to be our last shot at decency as an organization, competence, respect for the fan's dollar. That turns out to be not true, so I am done.

Even our beloved moderator VF 21, aka VLADEFAN21 will be changing her username. Think about that. V freaking F 21 no longer respects her namesake.

Everyone has a decision to make. But don't be under any illusions that this organization, the ownership and front office at least, give a damn about your dollar, your time and energy, other than to turn a profit for themselves.

This is a pump and dump. We are being used. Vipuke (can barely type the name), needs to go. IF he goes, I MIGHT come back.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, long time...

Just wanted to say, the culture the Kings are going for is this: We'll quit on talented players before they have a chance to develop (Whiteside, Thomas; even Jimmer dropped 73 yesterday), and we'll show no loyalty to established players who publicly state they want to be Kings for life (Cousins). Not only that, we'll trash them as we push them out the door, and to really stick it to the fans, we'll acknowledge that we didn't even take the best offer for probably the best center in the league. We know this is the closest we've come to a playoff appearance in over a decade, so it's time to kill any hope that our fans might have. Plus, we have a protected pick that we need to, you know, protect, so we're going to tank the rest of this season and get rid of everyone else that can actually play before the deadline. And don't worry, once Cauley-Stein starts looking good, we'll get rid of him as well.

I haven't been around in years, but I had to say my piece on this. I don't know what the Kings are doing, but they won't be good again for a long time. At least they have a new arena though!

SMH

You got everything dead on except for this line, so I made a quick edit.

"Plus, we have a protected pick that we need to, you know, protect, so we're going to tank the rest of this season and get rid of everyone else that can actually play before the deadline so Philly can swap picks with us".

"Plus, we have a protected pick that we need to, you know, protect, so we're going to tank the rest of this season and get rid of everyone else that can actually play before the deadline so Philly can swap picks with us".
Good save.

I also forgot the part about how in about a year when the Kings are 20 games below .500 with no good players, they're going to fire Dave Joerger because 'our standards are much higher than this, and we needed a change.'

You're obviously forgetting we got the man that averaged 20/5/5 in his rookie year who was then SABOTAGED by DMC, and also the next Steph Curry. We're lucky the Pels even graciously offered their first rounder on top of such a sweet sweet deal.
Ah... yes, sorry, just checked my email and saw one from Vivek that says we got the next Steph Curry. Now that I know that, solid move by the scrappy little owner.

By the way, have you noticed that Ranadiarrhea looks like he is having bowel trouble at every game?

VRan. V ran to the bathroom.

Yes this is the beginning of my smear campaign to get him gone. He wants to play dirty by deploying Grant, then game on.

Time to send this little puke back to the bowels of Silicon Valley b-list cocktail parties.

Here's my hope. We get him gone by 2018, new owner fires Grant, and Cousins returns via free agency.

I did not ask for this fight.

Last edited:
I think you are going to find out very quickly that magically DMC is a great winner and even potential future champion, when he is gifted to another franchise that suddenly is able to surround him with talent. .
Can we pay you $$ to call into Peaches show today and set him straight? So tired of him blaming the past 7 years of losing on Cousins and negative culture. I've thought of calling in myself, but know I couldn't remain composed long enough to get it all out.

Peaches fails to acknowledge the fact that the team was losing and cycling coaches 4 years before Cuz got there and only continued to lose due to the years of the relocation turmoil, missed lottery picks, coaching and GM changes, and non-impactful FA signings. The various leadership factions did NOTHING right to surround their best player with legit talent or a stable front office. But Peaches has the nerve to lay blame at Cousins feet??

I got news for him. Tim Duncan in his prime wasn't winning with the rosters and turmoil Cuz played through. But he's too much of a dope to see or admit it. We can't fire the owner so none of it get mentioned. Vlade is his trusted and dear friend so nothing get mentioned.

As baffled, discombobulated, and disoriented as I am over the realization that this trade actually went down -- that it's real and not a hoax -- I think I'm even more angry and confused how anybody can believe let alone suggest that this was a good trade. Peaches is doing exactly that.

Dude actually said he won't miss Cousins complaining to officials when he complains more (about the complaining) than Cousins does. For a guy that can't control himself on his own freaking show, it sure is rich to hear him criticize someone else for wearing their emotions on their sleeze. Biggest hypocrite, turncoat mother&^%$!# I've ever known of in my life.

Same goes for Breton, Poison, Furillo and much of the local media. They just don't get it. Joe Davidson, Jim Crandall, and a few others seem to get it, but not those other guys. They let things get so personal that they're actually celebrating hoping for ping pong balls to bounce the right way and marginal journeyman players that have "good" body language and don't ever complain because -- well, they are just cashing paychecks and don't really care. Somebody please explain to these bozos that the Kings can't even win the lottery in order to have the opportunity to eff up a top 3 pick.

Lastly, let's ALL remember that the only reason we ever had a talent like Cousins (and even IT) is because Geoff Petrie selected him. If this current regime had been in place back then, they surely would have selected Ekpe Udoh or someone else currently playing in China. They've not shown once that they can make a competent draft selection yet they're putting their eggs back in that basket hoping to land a "better" DeMarcus.

Good luck with that. I won't be holding my breath or even paying attention.

From Amicks twitter:

Kings' Vlade Divac, on @Sports1140KHTK, asked what he learned in process: "Not to trust agents" Insinuates Cousins' reps killed another deal

This is entirely possible. A LOT of millions were at stake.

I think the Paul Georges Jimmy Butlers etc fringe superstars will never see these 200 million dollar deals, owners wont pay half the price of an arena for 4 years of these guys.

Those 200 million dollar deals will be for top 3-4 players only. Those capable of single handedly carrying teams to the playoffs.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That's my fear. I've seen enough Dave Joerger in Memphis and in Sac to know if some of the middling vets are still on his roster sheet that they'll be getting all the minutes. Talk about a stick in the mud. The Kings imminent future just walked out the door, making the playoffs now means nothing because there is nothing sustainable there short term unless your long term pieces are leading the way.
I think the only safe thing to do is to fire Joerger too. He not only sounded like he wanted to be here as recently as this fall, but he even keeps trying to win. First, I of course would soften up his support with a few hit pieces in the local rag and a whisper campaign from the screaming New Yorker on the radio -- you want to obviously make it as ugly and demoralizing as possible. Then maybe wait a few weeks for him to win just enough to put you out of position to do anything, and can him after your "new Steph Curry" goes 2-13 some night and fails to carry the team of raw kids and demoralized castoffs who survived you nuking their team to a road victory.

#Kangzlogic

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Can we pay you $$ to call into Peaches show today and set him straight? So tired of him blaming the past 7 years of losing on Cousins and negative culture. I've thought of calling in myself, but know I couldn't remain composed long enough to get it all out.
Like he'd even make it past the call screener.

From Amicks twitter:

Kings' Vlade Divac, on @Sports1140KHTK, asked what he learned in process: "Not to trust agents" Insinuates Cousins' reps killed another deal

This is entirely possible. A LOT of millions were at stake.

I think the Paul Georges Jimmy Butlers etc fringe superstars will never see these 200 million dollar deals, owners wont pay half the price of an arena for 4 years of these guys.

Those 200 million dollar deals will be for top 3-4 players only. Those capable of single handedly carrying teams to the playoffs.
Of course. DMC is responsible for everything even for Vlade incompetence.

Of course. DMC is responsible for everything even for Vlade incompetence.
Vlade is incompetent just fine all on his own, just stating another aspect of this entire mess. Cuz and his agents wanted that extra 30 million, winning or the love for Sacramento was not as important as cashing that check. Even if Cuz wanted to join a championship contender in free agency no idiot is taking a 30 million dollar paycut. Cuz must be fuming with all of this too this is the biggest robbery of all time for both kings fans and Cuz.

The amazing thing is that the "culture change" will eventually be a lot of rookies without any veteran guidance as the vets will leave out of disgust.

Which is the exact situation that Cousins entered into as a rookie.

I think the only safe thing to do is to fire Joerger too. He not only sounded like he wanted to be here as recently as this fall, but he even keeps trying to win. First, I of course would soften up his support with a few hit pieces in the local rag and a whisper campaign from the screaming New Yorker on the radio -- you want to obviously make it as ugly and demoralizing as possible. Then maybe wait a few weeks for him to win just enough to put you out of position to do anything, and can him after your "new Steph Curry" goes 2-13 some night and fails to carry the team of raw kids and demoralized castoffs who survived you nuking their team to a road victory.

#Kangzlogic
Well, anything can happen if you play Kosta Koufos 40 mpg. Hopefully somebody warns him first. That's close to horse head in the bed material right there.

We just beat the Dubs and Cavs in last few weeks. Team plays better with Cuz in the low post. Cuz is a great spot-up shooter and dominant center!!! He is the future of this league and we got a late first round pick for him.
And yet we were headed for another 35-40 win season and missing the playoffs... It is better to stink for a while and bring in new players than to keep beating the same horse over and over. Besides, we do not know what other issues are involved in this trade. Cousins has foot issues. He labors down the court at times. I don't think he is being lazy, I think he has legit foot issues. Also what sort of impact did he have on the locker room? The young players?

There are many factors we do not know about that I'm sure went into the decision. Those of you who say they could have made a better deal...Prove it. Rumors are rumors. This deal happened. It may very well be the best they could do. Cousins wore out his good will with the Refs, the League, and has solidified his status as a "Ron Artest" level headache. I am hopeful that Vlade will make good use of the assets returned and turn this team into something other than the perennial mediocrity they have been the last 10 years.

Let's face facts:

Yesterday, I would have told you Demarcus Cousins was my favorite player.

The DMC era in Sac is over... and it wasn't great; about as successful as when Kevin Martin was the #1 option, seriously.

The Kings were not headed towards the promised land of the post-season any time soon. This season, the best DMC era season ever, has the Kings sniffing around trying to luck into the 8th seed with three or four other teams; all sub-.500.

I am not sure what we think it is that we lost in this trade; maybe Vlade could have got more? Maybe decisions were made as a partially financial decision (gasp!)? Time to grow up; all basketball decisions on all NBA teams are in large part financial decisions. How can we not all fully understand that? Why would an owner over pay for a roster with no shot of even the 8th seed?

IMHO, this was the best move for the Kings and DMC. He can go to an established team with a clean slate; I really do hope he is successful. And the Kings can rebuild with new pieces; hopefully more quickly than last time. The DMC build simply did not work... time to make dramatic changes and try again.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
There are many factors we do not know about that I'm sure went into the decision. Those of you who say they could have made a better deal...Prove it.
We don't have to "prove it," because it came straight from the horse's ass mouth. Divac said so himself, in his press conference; he had a better deal two days ago.

Please tell me Vlade did not actually say that.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
We don't have to "prove it," because it came straight from the horse's ass mouth. Divac said so himself, in his press conference; he had a better deal two days ago.
No no no, he had a "better offer" which is completely different that a "deal." An offer is just something being discussed. Never really advanced past that. Then they "got scared." While a "deal" is when that handshake happens.

I can't believe (actually, yes. I can) Grant let him get away with that totally scot-free.

when reading all the headlines about the trade, everyone seems to keep forgetting one important detail. we didnt only get hield, evans, galloway, a protected 1st and philly's second rounder for one of the best centers in the nba. we got that unimpressive haul for our allstar center AND casspi. even though he wasnt playing a lot, casspi had some value. so whenever we complain we didnt get enough for dmc, just remember, we got even less because some of those pieces are canceled out with losing casspi, who would have been our only sf since barnes was waived. :mad::confused::(

The amazing thing is that the "culture change" will eventually be a lot of rookies without any veteran guidance as the vets will leave out of disgust.

Which is the exact situation that Cousins entered into as a rookie.
Culture change is much much worse than flexible pieces. Where the hell are the maloofs when you need em? At least they TRY and convince us these crap moves make a lick of sense

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: I pulled the Grant stuff and put it into its own cute little thread in the Off The Court forum. Somehow, I think it's gonna be a very popular little thread. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
when reading all the headlines about the trade, everyone seems to keep forgetting one important detail. we didnt only get hield, evans, galloway, a protected 1st and philly's second rounder for one of the best centers in the nba. we got that unimpressive haul for our allstar center AND casspi. even though he wasnt playing a lot, casspi had some value. so whenever we complain we didnt get enough for dmc, just remember, we got even less because some of those pieces are canceled out with losing casspi, who would have been our only sf since barnes was waived. :mad::confused::(
I get the very real feeling Dan Fegan, who represents both Boogie and Omri, may have insisted that Omri be part of the deal. I doubt if the Kings ever sign another Dan Fegan player.

Evaluating the trade... let's see we got:

- a 23 year old rookie, normally rookies coming in at that age aren't works in progress, they are what they are. Based on what we've seen so far, I'm confident saying Buddy Hield is not a star in the league. Best case we're looking at a role player.
- A draft pick for a team that's currently in the lottery but is now adding a second MVP candidate to their first MVP candidate. Strong chance that pick won't be a lottery pick. Pretty much all history says that getting a star player outside of the lottery is luck based and rare. More likely you can get a rotational role player.
- A second round pic, see above except apply role player to the luck part. Basically second round picks are worthless.
- Cap filler

They got:
a 26 year old in his prime superstar who is putting up some of the best big man numbers of all time.

If the above wasn't enough they somehow snuck in the lottery protected piece on top. That piece to me seems more like the league broadcasting our franchises ineptitude. The trade was imbalanced without that protection... that protection is almost certainly completely irrelevant because the Pelicans now become one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the west... they just put it in there because they could and we were so bad.

Last night when the rumors started I told someone that I was 99% going to be livid with any deal they came up with... and then I texted again and said there's a 99% chance that whatever deal they come up with is worse than those im envisioning being livid about. The KANGZ never fail to deliver on ineptitude. I truly believe on the front end that this is one of the worst trades in the history of the NBA.

Im not sure you can call even call this a trade... there are several other things I would call it. A trade tends to imply two competent actors.