[Grades] Grades v. Hawks and Ourselves 2/10/2017

Ok, how in the hell do you grade Demarcus Cousins tonight?

• A?

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • B?

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • C?

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • D?

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • F?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I don't care, I hate him

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I don't care, we won

Votes: 31 49.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That type of guy is the type of guy you can sign every single year in free agency, even if he were ever to become one.

As I've mentioned before, all the SG roster spots are already accounted for next year -- in fact there may not be enough minutes as it is for Malachi, Bogdan, and Temple -- and Ben is a pure SG without the ability to swing positions. The question kind of answers itself unless you are talking about some star level transformational player.
Convince me he's not worth keeping around on the off chance he turns into a 42% 3pt shooter vs what we can get for him. Korver cant change positions either. I'm not convinced we've had the conditions in place to develop him into his potential. We know what Temple, etc., tops out at.

Are you saying let him walk?

To your point though, I take Malachi over Ben if I have to.

Dammit now that I think about it you might be right, the diff being Bogdan.

That type of guy is the type of guy you can sign every single year in free agency, even if he were ever to become one.

As I've mentioned before, all the SG roster spots are already accounted for next year -- in fact there may not be enough minutes as it is for Malachi, Bogdan, and Temple -- and Ben is a pure SG without the ability to swing positions. The question kind of answers itself unless you are talking about some star level transformational player.
At this point I think we are hoping for one of the other three if not two of them to be able to play SF

Convince me he's not worth keeping around on the off chance he turns into a 42% 3pt shooter vs what we can get for him. Korver cant change positions either. I'm not convinced we've had the conditions in place to develop him into his potential. We know what Temple, etc., tops out at.

Are you saying let him walk?

To your point though, I take Malachi over Ben if I have to.

Dammit now that I think about it you might be right, the diff being Bogdan.
Also we started McLemore from the beginning. We never made him earn it like Jeorger has.

Also we started McLemore from the beginning. We never made him earn it like Jeorger has.
He's also never had much competition either.

Marcus Thornton (after he lost his talent)
Jimmer Fredette
Nik Stauksas
James Anderson
Marco Belinelli
Seth Curry

I think Seth Curry was the only guy that really came in and actually outplayed Ben enough to the point to force him to sit. The rest of the guys basically either played just as bad or even worse than him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I really didn't get Joerger's response to the 3 question. For those who didn't see it, he was asked about the 18 3s and instead of praising his guys, he said something like, "how do I put this delicately, we thought we had to shoot them from the perimeter."

I took it to mean they weren't getting any calls inside.
That's exactly what he meant. :)

I have a hunch the secret to that is respecting your guys and keeping that connection with them so that a benching doesn't feel personal.
I've noticed with Joerger that you're never really permanently in the doghouse - never irrevocably consigned to the end of the bench. At times I've thought Afflalo, Omri, Ben, WCS, Tolliver and even KK were "in the doghouse" but each has emerged from it to contribute in spots. I don't know if it will always be like that, but I kind of like it.

I've noticed with Joerger that you're never really permanently in the doghouse - never irrevocably consigned to the end of the bench. At times I've thought Afflalo, Omri, Ben, WCS, Tolliver and even KK were "in the doghouse" but each has emerged from it to contribute in spots. I don't know if it will always be like that, but I kind of like it.
Same. He just seems like a good guy, the type you want to fight for. Like the anti Karl. Very high social IQ.

He's also never had much competition either.

Marcus Thornton (after he lost his talent)
Jimmer Fredette
Nik Stauksas
James Anderson
Marco Belinelli
Seth Curry

I think Seth Curry was the only guy that really came in and actually outplayed Ben enough to the point to force him to sit. The rest of the guys basically either played just as bad or even worse than him.
How dare you insult the GOAT James Anderson!

That jumper was as sweet as honey!

Joerger has said when he makes changes he likes to give guys extended runs rather than altering the lineup continuously. I think that is why guys are on the bench for multiple games, not because they are in the "dog house".

I'm assuming he has communicated this to the team and they either understand or accept it.

I don't think that really had much impact on his game, except maybe exposing him to failure on the court that shook his confidence. Otherwise, I always got the impression he was a very hard worker, didn't take things for granted, great guy with his teammates and never a primadonna (unless being the "pizza guy" went to his head ....)

I still remember his first game. It might have even been his first play after he checked in. He saw an opening down the lane and went in for a huge flying dunk....clanged it off the back of the rim. I remember thinking man that would have been awesome to nail that highlight dunk in his first game, but still pretty excited at the athleticism and aggression that play showed. I didn't think at the time it would be emblematic of his career. The guy with the sweet looking shooting stroke that just seems to always be slightly off. His brain always moving slightly faster than his body as he sees an opening but then dribbles off his foot.

I would love nothing more for everything to now click with him, and who knows, maybe he always needed someone like joeger to give him the combination of encouragement and tough love. I'm just not going to hold my breath. Either way I wish him the best and hope he's on an NBA roster next year and given the best chance to succeed.