Ryan Anderson

The Kings just hired a new head coach that many agree is fairly good at getting his team to buy into playing defense. So maybe it wouldn't be the worst idea to acquire as many talented offensive players/shooters as you can with the hope that they can play good enough "team" defense. Over the past few seasons, the Warriors have done well with guys in their lineup not known for their individual defensive prowess. But they've somehow made it work as a team. Same goes for our 98-04 era Kings. There were some less than stellar individual defenders that bought into playing team defense.

I don't see why the same thing can't happen again here.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Baja, you need to look at the Ryan Anderson from New Olreans, not Orlando. There is no in-between with Anderson. At least with someone like Kevin Love, he can guard PFs. His only problem comes when he gets switched onto Gs.

Anderson's defense is beyond terrible.

Who are you watching? I'm serious. Anderson is literally bottom 15 in the entire league in terms of defense. I poopoo on Rondo's defense all the time, but at least Rondo still has the athleticism and quickness to keep up with any PG in the NBA. He also has great instincts in the passing lanes. Rondo's biggest problem is lack of defensive commitment. With Anderson, his problem is everything.

Please tell me who this magical non-terrible defensive player you're talking about. Ryan Anderson is absolutely ASS on defense. I don't ever use that term to describe players...but I will use it to describe Andersons' defense. It is absolutely terrrrrible. I'm extremely dumbfounded that someone like you who has by far, more basketball intellect than someone like me, would think Anderson's defense isn't a problem.
I was not implying that Andersons defense was great, or even good, but I do know how he has been able to play defense in the past. Now granted, that was some time ago, but I think, or at least hope, that how he's been used, and what has been asked of him on defense is part of why his defense has suffered. If you break his defense down between when he was asked to guard SF's as opposed to PF's there's quite a difference. I think what he brings on the offensive side of the ball, along with a good team defensive system could work.

If Anderson were 34 or 35 years old, I'd be more hesitant to sign him, but he's not. He's 28 years old. I think he still has plenty of gas left in the tank. When he was at Cal he was one of the best rebounders in the Pac 10, and his defense was above average. In his first few years in the NBA he played decent to good defense. As I said, that's some time ago, but I have no reason to believe that with the right system, and with a defensive minded coach, he'll be fine on the defensive side of the ball. If not, well then you can have the last laugh.

By the way, sorry if I was a bit gruff in my post. I'm dealing with some medical issues and I'm a little grumpy. So no disrespect intended.

Just a passing thought, but if we drafted Hield and signed Ryno.

Our defense off the bench may be poor.

But

Collison
Hield
Marco
Ryno
KK

Would be capable of dropping some bombs. Jerry could call them something like the Bombadores. Not saying I want this to happen, but on a hot shooting night.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Anderson is on the downhill slope of his career, and his injuries have slowed him a bit. He was never a good defender, but he still can shoot it. For that, he's a sixth man - thus, I say, "sure, sign him" but don't bet the farm.
Actually his defensive rating for his three years at Orlando was pretty good. It's his last four years that have been bad. I think it has to do with how he's being used. And he's only 28 years old, which should be his prime, not the downside of his career.

Amazing how Ryno's defense wasn't bad when he played against us last year...

I distinctly recall him being absolutely unguardable and destroying us while shooting as hot as in-the-prime Kobe.

I don't remember us abusing him on defense at all.
If we couldn't take advantage of him, I doubt that most teams would, especially when he plays against a lot of their second teams.

His level of offense isn;t anything to sneeze at, or discount easily.
If it's a reasonable contract nowhere near $15 mil, I'd say look close at him.

Fresh off the twitter presses......
Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 16s17 seconds ago
Ryan Anderson talk picking up in Sacto among sources. I think they're better off spending elsewhere but they're all about it.

Anderson can be a contributing piece on the contender that we are trying to build. But he is not going to be a main piece so we can't spend big money on him. Let's hope Vlade doesn't forget that if he is interested.

Ryan Anderson just bought a house in Hermosa Beach about a mile and a half away from Luke Walton's house, and two blocks from where Walton, Chase Buddinger, and Richard Jefferson play volleyball.

A short plane trip to Sacto, but also a 30 min drive to Staples Center in the carpool lane.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Any player worth a damn is going to be getting huge money. Anderson would be a major upgrade in talent for our roster and our shooting. If he's interested, we have to bring him while offloading Koufos.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Ryan Anderson just bought a house in Hermosa Beach about a mile and a half away from Luke Walton's house, and two blocks from where Walton, Chase Buddinger, and Richard Jefferson play volleyball.

A short plane trip to Sacto, but also a 30 min drive to Staples Center in the carpool lane.
30 min might get you in the neighborhood of Staples from there on a good day but then you have to get off the freeway downtown and park so add another 20-30 minutes at least. The flight might actually be shorter. :)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Very sucky for fans to park at 6:00.

Mid-day piece of cake to drive to Staples from the South Bay, and I have a hunch that players get parking spaces.
Mid-day piece of cake? To drive? :D You live in a better Los Angeles than I do, or maybe I'm just that unlucky. Even if I've got a parking spot in Staples I guarantee you it's going to take me a half hour to get there from USC on the freeway. I park elsewhere and take the train if I'm going downtown, which still sucks but it dramatically reduces the debilitating effects of road rage which have gradually transformed me from a mild-mannered Nor Cal'er into a Mad Max-ian road tyrant over the past 15 years. Put it this way: if I could get away with mounting an RPG and a machine-gun onto my roof I would have done it already. I'm not even joking. Face paint, optional.

We don't have anybody who is lethal from 3pt line, so I'm ok if we get Anderson and figure out the roles later. Then if Bels could get his head out from his ass, and Seth comes back... we could compete from beyond the arc for a change.

Right now ain't nobody except Seth launches a 3 and I don't cringe.
I'm curious John Galt, who was your avatar prior to Belinelli? Do you have the reverse midas touch:)

I'm curious John Galt, who was your avatar prior to Belinelli? Do you have the reverse midas touch:)
I had Rondo on there (I'm a fan of his) ... and then I felt like all the momentum was that he was a goner based on the tone of a certain Rondo interview. And so I thought - let me put Belinelli on there and see if I can put the whammy on him instead.

I didn't realize till you posted this that ... it worked. worked damn fast that's really funny.

Who do you want bumped off next?

Actually I like everyone on the roster now so I can't use my powers of darkness in this way anymore. Or.... maybe... I have an idea

begone Ailene!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had Rondo on there (I'm a fan of his) ... and then I felt like all the momentum was that he was a goner based on the tone of a certain Rondo interview. And so I thought - let me put Belinelli on there and see if I can put the whammy on him instead.

I didn't realize till you posted this that ... it worked. worked damn fast that's really funny.

Actually I like everyone on the roster now so I can't use my powers of darkness in this way anymore. Or.... maybe... I have an idea

begone Ailene!
I never realized how much Aileen looks like Howard Stern.

begone Ailene!
Ailene works:), last year it would have been Karl after I got a look at his defensive "scheme" and small ball rotations early in the season.

Funky you are right about the Ailene and Stern similarities. Has anyone ever seen them both in the same place?:eek:

The Kings just hired a new head coach that many agree is fairly good at getting his team to buy into playing defense. So maybe it wouldn't be the worst idea to acquire as many talented offensive players/shooters as you can with the hope that they can play good enough "team" defense. Over the past few seasons, the Warriors have done well with guys in their lineup not known for their individual defensive prowess. But they've somehow made it work as a team. Same goes for our 98-04 era Kings. There were some less than stellar individual defenders that bought into playing team defense.

I don't see why the same thing can't happen again here.
Thing is Warriors picked players off the scrap heap and keep those, who bought in (Speights and Barbosa did, at least in terms of effort, while Lee didn't). You are offering to make a major investment of $15+m salary and hope, that he does as well.

Well, Lin:
  • was the best defensive guard on Hornets' roster this past season, while playing both PG and SG, as defense dropped 6 points per 100 poss. with him on the bench. In fact, when Kemba was sitting, Lin led his team to stellar 100 points per 100 possessions: among teams only Spurs were below at 99.6 and NBA average is around 106
  • consistently gets 5 FTs per 36 minutes and converts them at 80% rate. Among NBA leaders in drives
  • for 3 years prior to this season, when he had to share the ball with Kemba, Lin hovered around 6 assists per 36 and 2:1 A/TO ratio, so while not an imposing playmaker, certainly a decent one.
  • has two seasons of shooting .450 on corner 3s, and shot .360 on 3s for two seasons prior to this one
  • played 70+ games every season and is 28 y.o.
  • Hornets will need cap space to re-sign him, so it's not set in stone, that he returns
Collison is still an option as well.
That's actually not true. Lamb was statistically better defensively with the team allowing 96 points per 100 possessions. You also fail to mention that he has the worst net rating out of all guards with any significant minutes (by just focusing on defense).

Net Rating
Lee = 6.0
Lamb = 5.9
Batum = 4.8
Walker = 4.2
Lin = 2.7

Considering the team's net rating was 3.3 this year, the team was actually better with him off the floor. Now you can try and say that the minutes at SG is what dragged those numbers down, but according to 82games, the team was more effective with him at SG.

Granted, all of your other points are valid though...

bajaden

Hall of Famer

begone Ailene!
How about Bricky. Heh heh

That's actually not true. Lamb was statistically better defensively with the team allowing 96 points per 100 possessions. You also fail to mention that he has the worst net rating out of all guards with any significant minutes (by just focusing on defense).

Net Rating
Lee = 6.0
Lamb = 5.9
Batum = 4.8
Walker = 4.2
Lin = 2.7

Considering the team's net rating was 3.3 this year, the team was actually better with him off the floor. Now you can try and say that the minutes at SG is what dragged those numbers down, but according to 82games, the team was more effective with him at SG.

Granted, all of your other points are valid though...
Lin is killed in +/- department due to playing too much time with Frank Kaminsky, when he was playing at PG: in unbelieveable turn of events Kaminsky was a very good system defender, but just killed team offense.
Even with both Kemba and Batum playing Hornets only managed 103.7 points per 100 poss., when Frank was on the floor as well. Without Frank that combo managed 110.3. Lin spent 2/3 of his time with Kaminsky.