[Grades] Grades v. Wizards 3/30/2016

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Of course we, being the Kings, had to somehow turn the final seconds of this moment of high epicness into a fiasco, as with 6 seconds to go for some reason Rondo refused to just throw the ball in to several Kings standing right in front of him, perhaps looking for one more statpadding score/assist? Dunno, made no sense. Then an over eager ref decided he had to get his whistle's worth and blow one more whistle for a violation rather than just letting it end, then both Cuz and Rondo mocked said official by clapping for his call, at which point said official threw Rondo out of the game and gave Cousins a critical technical that may result in an automatic suspension and him having to miss Friday's game. Which of course would help a tank I suppose.

#Kangz

Boxscore

Stats: 34min 15pts (6-14, 0-3, 3-4) 4reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Summary: was the main secondary scorer to Boogie in the first half, but never felt inspired at all, kept missing threes, and disappeared after half. One spectacular late dunk.

Gay ( ) --

Stats: 13min 7pts (3-3, 1-1, 0-0) 5reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Summary:strong on the glass in the early going and outplayed Marcus Morris in their minutes

Acy ( ) --

Stats: 32min 29pts (11-18, 1-1, 6-9) 10reb 4ast 5stl 4blk 5TO
Summary:just confidently slapped around the Wiz bigs from the start, after half focus shifted to the other things, and really filled the statsheet with boards, blocks, steals.

Cousins ( ) --

Stats: 17min 5pts (2-5, 1-2, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary:statline doesn't look great, but felt solid and tried to bring some defense to the proceedings.

Curry ( ) --

Stats: 34min 15pts (6-12, 2-4, 1-2) 1reb 11ast 4stl 0blk 3TO
Summary: before Clapgate largely outplayed John Wall while directing an offense that was humming all night. Late return with Cuz led to some big romp plays.

Rondo ( ) --

Bench

Stats: 23min 6pts (3-7, 0-0, 0-2) 5reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Summary:not a great outing, ran the floor but missed some bunnies.

Cauley Stein( ) --

Stats: 31min 13pts (5-8, 1-3, 2-2) 4reb 10ast 1stl 1blk 2TO
Summary: highly effective as a passer as much as scorer this time, and the bench hummed on offense, after half in particular.

Collison ( ) --

Stats: 16min 12pts (5-5, 0-0, 2-2) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: don't know how the ugly flip works, but highly effective with it this time out, and used body on defense. Not much on the glass though, and we had some struggles.

Koufos ( ) --

Stats: 26min 15pts (5-7, 1-2, 4-4) 8reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Summary: strong and aggressive outing outhustling the Wiz at every turn

Casspi ( ) --

Stats: 14min 3pts (1-5, 1-2, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Summary:the limitations of +/-, Ben led the team despite being easily our worst player. Struggled mightily, but hit a late three, at least trying on D

McLemore ( ) --

placeholder...

Last edited:
This may have been Koufos' best game as a King that I've seen. Great in the two man game with Collison. His touch around the hoop was finally on point.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Where were those pieces when the games actually mattered?
Been there all year long. Just misfiring.

But knowing the league is knowing that these are quality pieces. Not Golden State pieces. But a team full of accomplished players. Patch a few obvious holes, and get a coach to bring it all together, add in a year of stability and having played together, lots of things are possible with this crew that aren't with an actual bad roster.

K

KingMilz

Been there all year long. Just misfiring.

But knowing the league is knowing that these are quality pieces. Not Golden State pieces. But a team full of accomplished players. Patch a few obvious holes, and get a coach to bring it all together, add in a year of stability and having played together, lots of things are possible with this crew that aren't with an actual bad roster.
Possible yes....probably not so sure.

Completely disagree, these "pieces" are not even close to being a top tier team. These guys are so collectively mentally weak I doubt they could win a playoff series with even a highly skilled coach.

The official in question (Marc Davis) has a history with Rondo, having ejected him from the playoffs in 2012 when Rondo bumped into him.
Rondo has a thing for inbound violations. Remember his weird double violation a couple of weeks ago? Sometimes that guy really pisses me off.
CD was sitting on the floor last night and told a story about kid eating jelly beans. Kid dropped one and it rolled over next to davis's foot. The 9 year old kid snuck over and grabbed it while free throws were being shot. Davis looked down and winked at the kid. Rondo started taunting Davis, "hey mark, we're working over here. Pay attention. Cmon man. Do your job."
No smile. Rondo was being serious.

As for the last play, I do think Rondo wanted to get a final bucket in there because the Wizards had just scored instead of running the clock out. Things were tense. The refs made it worse.
Not uncommon for the losing team to attempt a shot though. McLemore/Seth Curry have been the benefactors of such plays multiple times. It's the winning team that has the "obligation" to dribble it out.

Why do people continue to make excuses for our "star" players acting like children on the court?

It's the refs fault.
It's the coaches fault.

Give me a break. Act like a professional and dribble out the clock. Quit picking fights with the refs, that is a no-win outcome. Building on DMC's constant complaining and Rando's gay slurs this team just doesn't get it. Cousins has got himself suspended again. Real classy.

I agree with gilly. Rondo and Cousins played well last night. They are clearly the leaders of the Kings' team. There is no reason to show your frustration and do some weird crap when you are about to win a game. It is very symptomatic of yet another layer of dysfunction in the organization. The Kings need to learn to act like they have won a game before. They got to 30 wins in a season when they could have won 40.

Cousins had to be aware of his 15 Ts. It makes it even more stupid that he now sits for a game with 16 Ts.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Picking a fight? Marc Davis went looking for a fight.
Well, if this story from Carmichael Dave is correct...

CD was sitting on the floor last night and told a story about kid eating jelly beans. Kid dropped one and it rolled over next to davis's foot. The 9 year old kid snuck over and grabbed it while free throws were being shot. Davis looked down and winked at the kid. Rondo started taunting Davis, "hey mark, we're working over here. Pay attention. Cmon man. Do your job."
No smile. Rondo was being serious.
...it kind of sounds like Rondo went looking for the fight.

Why do people continue to make excuses for our "star" players acting like children on the court?

It's the refs fault.
It's the coaches fault.

Give me a break. Act like a professional and dribble out the clock. Quit picking fights with the refs, that is a no-win outcome. Building on DMC's constant complaining and Rando's gay slurs this team just doesn't get it. Cousins has got himself suspended again. Real classy.
So you do realize if the Ref had not made the call Collison would have dribbled out the 6 seconds to end the game?

By bringing up past grievances I think you pin point what is going on here. People will not let the the past go even if the person served out their punishment.

So like the posters here that pile on Cousins and now Rondo, Davis was laying in wait with his whistle.

Do you really think what you saw was good officiating? Why was Rondo ejected?

Here is a link to the video--> http://stats.nba.com/cvp.html?GameID=0021501120&GameEventID=517

In hindsight I think we can all agree Rondo should have just tossed in the ball immediately.

on a completely different subject check this out from Sactown Royalty:

• Its now been a full month since Tom Thibodeau consulted the Kings on their defense and they started using ICE to defend pick-and-rolls. The Kings have had a 104 defensive rating since that time, good for 15th in the NBA. Its the best defensive month they've had all season. Have to wonder what the defensive statistics would have looked like if they had just implemented ICE in training camp like the other 29 teams in the league instead of 80% after the season was over.
Link--> http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/3/30/11335952/kings-120-wizards-111-a-round-of-applause

The bench was wonderful:)

It is sad it has taken all season for Karl to allow modern NBA defense to be played. And to play an actual full size NBA roster:mad:

gunks

Hall of Famer
on a completely different subject check this out from Sactown Royalty:

• Its now been a full month since Tom Thibodeau consulted the Kings on their defense and they started using ICE to defend pick-and-rolls. The Kings have had a 104 defensive rating since that time, good for 15th in the NBA. Its the best defensive month they've had all season. Have to wonder what the defensive statistics would have looked like if they had just implemented ICE in training camp like the other 29 teams in the league instead of 80% after the season was over.
Link--> http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/3/30/11335952/kings-120-wizards-111-a-round-of-applause

The bench was wonderful:)

It is sad it has taken all season for Karl to allow modern NBA defense to be played. And to play an actual full size NBA roster:mad:
Good god, I hate Karl. He's going right between Westphail and Natt on my "Worst Kings coaches ever" Mt. Rushmore.

At this point I'd kill for a Theus! Even a Muss! At least that guy had power points! All Karl has is an amazing resume and a lazy, **** attitude.

Speaking of **** attitude. .. Dunno why Rondo always pulls theses shenanigans. Stupid of him. Also stupid of the ref to start fliffing out Ts. Lotta ego.

.....It's ALWAYS someone else's fault. After years and years of the same story, maybe you should take a look in the mirror?

How about the ref make the call and you don't sarcastically clap in his face?

How about the ref make the call and you calmly go back to work like Duncan would have?

Cousins and Rondo: Grow up, shut the hell up and just play ball. You'd think they know better by now.

I'm done with them.

The "past grievances" just keep repeating themselves over and over again. I have been watching Cousins pull this crap for six years. I am fed up with it.
I remember when we were on year 2 or 3, even year 4 and we were saying things like were going to get better with him, he'd mature..

... I wonder what we will be saying in year 7, 8 and 9?