Players to watch: 2015/16 college season

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Rather than try to conform to a typical draft format, where I post my one through thirty. I thought I'd try and approach this with a more arbitrary attitude. Meaning, I'm going to post info about players that have impressed me so far this season with little or no reference to where they might go in the draft. Of course, most might be perceived to go in the first round. But I'm sure that perception will change as the season progresses. So with no futher ado.

Henry Ellenson: PF/C - 6'10" in shoes, 244 Lb's, 7'2" wingspan, Freshman, Marquette
Stats through nine games:
30 mpg - 16.7 ppg - 8.8 rpg - 2.4 apg - 1.3 bpg

As you can see, he's playing a lot of minutes for a freshman. I just finished watching the Wisconsin/Marquette game, which Marquette won by two points, and Ellenson was very very impressive. His skill level for a 6'10" PF at his age is off the charts. He's a terrific ballhandler, with close to guard handles. He has great court vision and is a very good passer. And although his three point shot hasn't fallen consistently for him so far, he has good form and is a threat from there. What makes him so dangerous offensively, is his ability to score at the basket, where he's not afraid to bang and play a little bully ball, and his ability to play from the perimeter, where he can shoot the ball, or put the ball on the floor and take you off the dribble. His coaches have compared him to Kevin Love, while some scouts have compared him to a young Dirk Nowitzki because of his stepback fall away jumpshot. I think at this point both comparisons is a reach, but the kid does have a lot of offensive talent.

Almost too perfect, no? Yes, he does have some flaws and almost all are on the defensive side of the ball. He's an average leaper in my opinion, but is quick off his feet, which is partly why he such a good rebounder, along with great soft hands. As good as he is fundamentally offensively, he's suffers with defensive fundamentals. While that's a bad thing, it's in some ways a good thing. Meaning, they can be corrected. More often than not he's out of position, or is hedging the wrong way. While he has some shotblocking skills, I doubt he'll ever be a good shotblocker. He has the length and ball skills to play SF, but I seriously doubt that he'll ever be able to guard SF's. His lateral quickness is just average, and right now, because of lacking basic defensive fundamentals, his instincts are poor as well. The closer he gets to the basket, the better defender he is. But as I said, a lot of this is correctable. So far this year, he ranks in the top five most impressive players I've seen, and that's a surprise to me. Here's a short video of some highlights.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kris Dunn: PG - 6'4" in shoes, 210 Lb's, 6'9" wingspan, Junior, Providence
Stats through 10 games:
31.0 mpg - 16.8 ppg - 6.1 rpg - 6.9 apg - 3.4 spg - 1.3 bpg - 2.9 to's

Dunn is more in line with the new breed of PG in the NBA. He's very athletic and has the size of a SG. In Dunn's case, he leans more to the PG than the SG. He's an excellent ballhandler, although at times gets a little loose with the ball, and reminds me a bit of Tyreke Evans with his ability to get to the basket. In Dunn's case, he passes the ball over 50% of the time off penetration. Besides being able to score at the basket, he has a very good mid-range game. His pull-up 15 footer is deadly and he seems to be able to get that shot whenever he wants. His weakness, at least so far this season, is his three point shot. After improving last season and shooting over 35% from beyond the arc, he's reverted back this season (so far) and is shooting around 26%. In my opinion, when he has an open three, and is squared up, he shoots a high percentage. When when highly contested or off the dribble, his percentage drops significantly. His form is good and he seems to have good touch on the ball, so I see him being a good shooter in the future.

Defensively, Dunn has a chance to be special. He has excellent lateral quickness and anticipation. That, along with his long arms and leaping ability move him to the top of the class of defensive PG's. He's averaging almost 4 steals a game, either by poking the ball away, or by anticipating a pass. He's also averaging 1.3 blocked shots a game, which you seldom see from a PG. I like Dunn a lot, and think he's the best PG in the coming draft. Right now, I have him in my top five, but there are others that may challenge him as the season progresses. The biggest knock on him as far as scouts are concerned, is that he'll be 22 years old come draft time. He'll also be more NBA ready as a result. Here's a short video.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Demetrius Jackson: PG - 6'1" in shoes, 194 Lb's, 6'4.75" wingspan, Junior, Notre Dame
Stats through 8 games:
35.4 mpg - 18.8 ppg - 3.6 rpg - 5.1 apg - 0.9 spg - 1.8 to's

I recently watched two games by Notre Dame back to back, and I have to admit that Jaclson was impressive. With the departure of Grant, Jackson has taken over the reigns and looking great so far. Some scouts have compared him to Westbrook, but I think that's a bit of a reach. For one thing, he doesn't have Westbrook's overall size, and while Jackson is a very good athlete with great leaping ability, I'm not sure he matches up to Westbrook. However, coming out of college, he's a far better three point shooter than Westbrook was. Plus, I think everyone looked at Westbrook as a combo guard, whereas I think Jackson, like Dunn, leans more toward being a legit PG. At least at this stage of his career. I originally thought of Jackson as an off the bench NBA PG, but I've changed my mind, and now see him as a future starting PG. He's a very good passer off penetration, as well as being able to score at the basket himself. He's shooting 43.8% from beyond the arc, while shooting a blistering 55.1% overall. Add in 5.1 assists a game, and you have one of the top PG's in the draft. I wish he was two inches taller, but he plays taller than he is with a decent wingspan. He has some work to do defensively, but he has the athleticism and strength to be above average in that area. Here's a short video.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jaylen Brown: SF - 6'7" in shoes, 222 Lb's, 7'0.5" wingspan, Freshman, California
Stats through 10 games:
25.0 mpg - 14.3 ppg - 5.3 rpg - 1.1 apg

When you watch Brown play, you can see just the tip of the iceberg. You find yourself waiting for the explosion, because you know that sometime in the game, it's going to happen. You see little glimpses of what could be, because most of it is lurking just beneath the surface. Brown is an explosive athlete that while still raw in many areas, is also skilled in many areas. He attacks the basket viciously and has the body to do it. He has a very strong upper body and can jump out of the gym. Add in more than adequate handles and you already have a very dangerous offensive player. It's not as though he doesn't have a jumpshot. He shoots the ball very well all the way out to the three, as long as he's squared up and set. He has good form on his shot. Unfortunately, he is't always set and as a result, is shooting around 26% from beyond the arc. Personally, I don't see a problem. I think with some corrections and hard work, he can become a good outside shooter. He's also a good rebounder who rebounds out of his area more often than not. Where he has a chance to shine immediately is defensively. He has all the tools to be a lock down defender. He has great lateral quickness and anticipation, along with a huge wingspan. He plays the passing lanes very well and excels at poking the ball away with his long reach. If he works hard at the game, he can be very special. Think Andrew Wiggins with aggression. Here's a short video.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ben Simmons: SF/PF/SG/PG - 6'10" in shoes, 240 Lb's, 7'0.25" wingspan, 41.5" max vertical, Freshman, LSU
Stats through 9 games:
34.4 mpg - 18.1 ppg - 53.6% fgp - 14.4 rpg - 5.7 apg - 2.3 steals per game - 1.6 blocks per game

To say that Simmons is a unique player would be a huge understatement. He should be, and probably will be the first player taken in the coming draft. Usually when you ask, what position does he play, it's normally a bad thing. But not in Simmons case. He's one of the most uniquely talented players to come down the pike in a long time. There's very little he can't do. He's a terrific passer with great court vision and a high BBIQ. He handles the ball like a guard. He's an outstanding finisher at the basket, and has a decent mid-range game. His only offensive weakness is his three point shot. Although he's shooting 50% from the three, he's only taken two shots from there. So that part of his game is a work in progress. He's one of the best rebounders in college averaging over 14 boards a game. He's added around 14 or 15 pounds of muscle prior to the start of the season, and looks like he could easily carry another 10 or so pounds.

Defensively, he's as impressive as he is offensively. He has terrific lateral quickness and a long reach, enabling him to steal the ball 2.3 times a game. He also averages 1.6 blocked shots a game. Some scouts see him as a PF in the future, others see him as SF or a point forward. And there's the group that see's him as a PG period. Regardless of where the team that drafts him decides to play him, he's going to be a star. Some scouts have compared him to Lebron James, and that's not as far fetched as it sounds. Others to Lamar Odom, or Scottie Pippen. All I know is that he's the most impressive player that I've seen so far this season. To my mind, there's Ben Simmons, and then there's the rest of the field. But it's still early and things can change. But he's a lot of fun to watch. And oh yeah, he's a great athlete too... Here's a short video.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Buddy Hield: SG - 6'4.5" in shoes, 215 Lbs, 6'8.5" wingspan.
Stats through 11 games:
31 mpg - 24.9 ppg - 51.5% fgp - 52.9% 3pp - 5.3 rpg - 1.7 apg - 1.5 spg

I've liked Hield for a long time. I've been watching him for the last three years and my biggest complaint was that he took too many highly contested shots. I thought that if this kid could ever become more selective, he could be pretty good. Well, so far this year, he's done just that and as a result, he's shooting almost 53% from the three. If your going to build a running team, he's your guy. He's always one of the first players down the floor in transition, whether its on offense, or defense. He's a high energy player. His ballhandling has greatly improved over the last three years as has his ability to create off the dribble. The one thing he doesn't possess, is explosive leaping ability, which I think affects his finishing at the basket. Don't get me wrong, he's still a decent to good finisher, but he's no Russell Westbrook. He's most deadly when spotting up and open, although his ability to shoot comeing off of screens has also greatly improved.

He's a good athlete and except for the occasional mistake, a good defender. He fights through screens, and never ever gives up on a play. Add in above average lateral quickness, and you have a guy that can at worse be a decent defender, but in all likely hood, will be a good defender. Most of his defensive problems are mental, not physical. He has a tendency to lose track of his man because of ball watching. Some of his fundamentals need tuning up. Point being, most of his problems are fixable. Right now most draft boards have him going in the 2nd round, where he'll be a downright steal. I think he's 1st round talent, and I think the fact that he just turned 22 years of age is part of the reason. Here's a short video of him.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Wade Baldwin: PG - 6'3" in shoes, 195 Lbs, 6'10" wingspan (unofficial), Sophmore, Vanderbilt.
Stats through 16 games:
28.9 mpg - 14.8 ppg - 48.3% fgp - 45.8% 3pp - 4.1 rpg - 4.5 apg - 1.6 steals per game.

Baldwin wasn't highly recruited coming out of highschool, perhaps because everyone was watching Karl Anthony Towns his teammate at St. Joesphs highschool. Baldwin essentially played SG there and is now in the process of learning how to be a PG. So far, so good. He seems to have natural instincts for the position, along with good court vision. Vanderbilt plays a very structured offense that will remind people of North Carolina's four corners offense. (if your old enough) They're basically a halfcourt team that emphasizes patience. It's probably a safe offense for Baldwin to run, but it doesn't afford him the opportunity to show off all of his skills. In highschool Baldwin was known as a decent outside shooter, but he's proven to be an excellent outside shooter with an effortless stroke, for Vanderbilt hitting 45.8% of his three point shots so far this season. He's also shown the ability to finish at the basket, but hasn't been quite as successful as he was in highschool.

He's shown a lot of potential defensively. He has good size for the PG position, especially with his huge hands, and gigantic 6'10" wingspan. He's a good athlete with good lateral quickness and great anticipation in man to man coverage. Of course, Vanderbilt plays a zone most of the time, but tall PG's with reach work well in a zone. He'll pick your pocket if your not paying attention. My bet is that Baldwin will be one of those players that everyone will wonder why he wasn't drafted higher three or four years from now. If you looking for PG from the middle of the first round on, then he's a good player to bet on. Not a lot of video on him, but this one shows off some of his skills.

Any Shooting guards who can shoot and can lock down perimeter defenders? Feel like that's the one thing keeping us from being legitimate playoff contenders.

Any Shooting guards who can shoot and can lock down perimeter defenders? Feel like that's the one thing keeping us from being legitimate playoff contenders.
Timothe Luwawa

This guy seems interested. Long, athletic, can defend multiple positions

"Standing 6-7, he has long arms, big hands, a good frame, and excellent athletic ability. He's a versatile player who shows a nice framework of skills in virtually all facets of the games, be it with his ability to create off the dribble, find the open man, make shots from the perimeter, or defend a few different positions. "

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Timothe-Luwawu-68219/

What you think , Bajaden?

We most likely won't be drafting in the 1st, so I suggest looking at some 2nd round prospects. Here's a a few guys

1. Taurean Prince 6'7 220lb 6'11 wing span
2. Dorian Finny- Smith 6'8 220lbs 6'11 wingspan

We most likely won't be drafting in the 1st, so I suggest looking at some 2nd round prospects. Here's a a few guys

1. Taurean Prince 6'7 220lb 6'11 wing span
2. Dorian Finny- Smith 6'8 220lbs 6'11 wingspan

Right I forgot we are going to lose that 1st round pick if we finish outside of bottom 10.

Any shooting guard we can sign this offseason?

Right I forgot we are going to lose that 1st round pick if we finish outside of bottom 10.

Any shooting guard we can sign this offseason?
I'll retract what I said.. the Kings could pick in the top 10 if they continue playing the way they do..... So your best bet for a 3&D wing type of player is probably Timothe Luwawu. I haven't watched enough of him to speak on his game though.
There's also Jaylen Brown, but he isn't much of a shooter at this stage.

High rated FAs: Nicolas Batum, Evan Fournier, and Harrison Barnes

Middle rated FAs: Eric Gordon, Kent Bazemore, and Courtney Lee

Lower rated FAs: Tyler Johnson, Lance Stephenson, Gerald Henderson, Matt Barnes, Allen Crabbe, and Garrett Temple

We will have cap space around $24million for FA, but we do not have any rights to Rondo. This means we will have to use our cap space to resign him. It really comes down to how much Vlade wants to pay Rondo. (Which I hope isn't a lot at all.) *I bolded Johnson because I want him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Timothe Luwawa

This guy seems interested. Long, athletic, can defend multiple positions

"Standing 6-7, he has long arms, big hands, a good frame, and excellent athletic ability. He's a versatile player who shows a nice framework of skills in virtually all facets of the games, be it with his ability to create off the dribble, find the open man, make shots from the perimeter, or defend a few different positions. "

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Timothe-Luwawu-68219/

What you think , Bajaden?
It's hard for me to comment with any authority about Luwawa since I can't watch him play like I can USA players. Anything I say is just a repeat of someone elses opinion. So you probably know as much as I do. From what I've been able to gleen, he looks like a solid prospect with a lot of upside. If I had to recommend anyone it would probably be someone that might be available to us where we choose, if we choose. I really like Jake Layman from Maryland. He has great size, 6'9" for a SF, and he's a terrific athlete. He can score from anywhere on the court, outside the three point line, drive to the basket, or post up smaller players. He's a terrific athlete who defends very well, and with attitude. He's also a good rebounder. I see him as player with good athletic ability who could turn into a very good defender if asked to do so. You should get to see him quite a bit in the tournament since Maryland is one of the top teams in the nation. Pay no attention to Kansas. They have experience, but lack overall talent.

Other players that I like are Taurean Prince, Justin Jackson, Caris Levert, and a player that seems to have fallen out of grace, Alex Poythress. Of course my first choice, barring a miracle, won't be available, and that's Ben Simmons followed closely by Brandon Ingram and Jaylen Brown. Funny how the top three picks are all SF's. I love watching Brown play. He lacks the skill level of Ingram and Simmons, but what a terrific athlete he is. He runs like a deer and can jump out of the building, while being built like a linebacker. Tremendous potential, which as Vince Lombardi said, the word potential means you haven't done anything yet.