Kings and free agency - part 4

I'm loving all this negative press. Keep it coming. The more the better. Better for the over under odds, better for team cohesion (us against the world), better for everything.

We've proven we don't need it to sign quality FA's, cause of some guy named Vladay? Am I spelling that right?
I made my bet in Reno over the weekend. Kings are 200-1 odds to win a championship next year. I threw down a whopping $10. If we win, that's $2k aka a new TV... Now if only Lebron haven't already signed with the Cavs..

Last edited:
Not sure about the odds. Probably not for a while. If they get a rush on early betting at long odds, they may change. Googling at last year, they seem to only get finalized around end of September.

http://lasvegassun.com/blogs/talkin...te-las-vegas-superbook-posts-nba-odds-win-to/
i see we were a game and a half off last seasons total. Easily would have got there had we been more diligent with Malone.

this will be very interesting. Hope they set a similar low number

I'm loving all this negative press. Keep it coming. The more the better. Better for the over under odds, better for team cohesion (us against the world), better for everything.

We've proven we don't need it to sign quality FA's, cause of some guy named Vladay? Am I spelling that right?
I may be able to afford to go on vacation this year

Despite several reports, Metta World Peace is not close to signing a new contract with Pallacanestro Cantù, according to sources. The American forward is considering all his options at the moment.
Maybe Ronron wants to come back to the NBA.
I'd rather have him in my italian team so I can watch Ron playing every week, by the way last summer he told to italian press that Cousins was recruiting him (Kobe and Westbrook contacted him as well).

So, here we wait.

I am guessing Vlade is BUSY trying to fix the problem's Luc failing his physical brought to this offseason... and I am guessing he wants one more good guy before signing Miller or summer league guys. So, what could be happening?
- A trade or trades could be in the works to get a specific player either for players (can't imagine whom) or for cap space/cash/picks... and this could be a slow moving deal if other teams are waiting for guys to sign, etc
- He could be waiting on an effort to re-order the signings with the league to create more cap space (if they in fact turned in the paperwork).
- Vlade could be simply biding his time and fishing for talent knowing he can sign a summer league level guy at any time (and probably Miller, too).
- They could be re-working a special deal for Luc (you never know)
- They could be negotiating a buyout of an overseas player (doubtful, but it could happen)
- Or it could be any combination of the above.

What do you think is going on?

So, here we wait.

I am guessing Vlade is BUSY trying to fix the problem's Luc failing his physical brought to this offseason... and I am guessing he wants one more good guy before signing Miller or summer league guys. So, what could be happening?
- A trade or trades could be in the works to get a specific player either for players (can't imagine whom) or for cap space/cash/picks... and this could be a slow moving deal if other teams are waiting for guys to sign, etc
- He could be waiting on an effort to re-order the signings with the league to create more cap space (if they in fact turned in the paperwork).
- Vlade could be simply biding his time and fishing for talent knowing he can sign a summer league level guy at any time (and probably Miller, too).
- They could be re-working a special deal for Luc (you never know)
- They could be negotiating a buyout of an overseas player (doubtful, but it could happen)
- Or it could be any combination of the above.

What do you think is going on?
Not sure what trades you're talking about. A big chunk of our roster has been recently signed as free agents. Can't trade them now.

Maybe Ronron wants to come back to the NBA.
Let's just put all of this flammable stuff together, in a nice neat pile, shall we? And we'll have our old friend George stand watch over it holding the nozzle from a gasoline pump. "Okay, George, if anything strange happens, just point that nozzle at the pile and pull the trigger, okay? And after that, if you want to cackle madly and shuffle over the horizon, go ahead."

All we need now is...Ron, is that you?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think basically our only fungible assets, assuming we do not take the highly questionable step of using Ben or Collison as trade bait, would be the two 0.9mil contracts of Moreland and Stockton. Without knowing what other caproom we officially have, I don't know what that buys us. I have still been wondering about the Miami situation, with them still trying to dump salary there.

Stockton and Moreland are each on $835,000 contracts, so $1.67mil combined. + whatever our remaining caproom is.

Miami has:
McRoberts $5.55mil
Anderson $5.0mil
Chalmers $4.3mil

Chalmers would have no place in our crowded backcourt unless we traded Ben or Collison to get him, and to say that would be dubious is an understatement. But now McRoberts, if healthy...well there is a stretch 4 for you, with passing. And Anderson, while seemingly duplicative and immensely strange as a lockerrrom piece, is also a guy familiar to Karl. George knows his weirdness.

That's not saying anything happens on any of those guys. indeed without knowing our remaining room I don't even know if it could. But the idea that those guys are available in giveaway/save me from the luxury tax trades persists.

I think basically our only fungible assets, assuming we do not take the highly questionable step of using Ben or Collison as trade bait, would be the two 0.9mil contracts of Moreland and Stockton. Without knowing what other caproom we officially have, I don't know what that buys us. I have still been wondering about the Miami situation, with them still trying to dump salary there.

Stockton and Moreland are each on $835,000 contracts, so $1.67mil combined. + whatever our remaining caproom is.

Miami has:
McRoberts $5.55mil
Anderson $5.0mil
Chalmers $4.3mil

Chalmers would have no place in our crowded backcourt unless we traded Ben or Collison to get him, and to say that would be dubious is an understatement. But now McRoberts, if healthy...well there is a stretch 4 for you, with passing. And Anderson, while seemingly duplicative and immensely strange as a lockerrrom piece, is also a guy familiar to Karl. George knows his weirdness.

That's not saying anything happens on any of those guys. indeed without knowing our remaining room I don't even know if it could. But the idea that those guys are available in giveaway/save me from the luxury tax trades persists.
I was imagining Vlade would be going after someone more along the lines of Luc in some sort of salary dump situation; limited minutes role player type of guy. If we are moving Ben and/or Collison, I would hope for something different.

while 2 players have often be quoted as something Kings miss (stretch 4 and 3rd PG), I do not think those two needs are equal.

In the system where coach likes to have 2 ball handlers on the court and where Kings SGs (Ben, Belinelli, Anderson) are not good ball handlers, the need for the above average 3rd PG is much greater.
There is also that little thing of both our PGs having injuries lately.
If we are all in this year, we do not want injury to either Rondo or Collison to leave us with Stockton and likes as a backup.

In the light of that, upgrading 3rd PG from Stockton to 1 year of Chalmers (for second round pick or less) might not be as expensive as it looks.

Regarding stretch 4, it looks more like a luxury to me.
Defensively we have WCS to take care of opponents stretch 4s.
Offensively, theoretically that could help Cousins... but Cousins was doing fine without stretch 4 (and reliable stretch 1-3 as well :)) last year and we can put Guy as stretch 4 if needed.

I dont get it. If you want a stretch 4 play Gay or Casspi at Pf. where is the problem?
Dukan is a pure shooter whose mentality is to stay in the perimeter and spot shoot. Gay and Casspi are guys who can shoot but prefer to attack the rim. Dukan impressed me as he was able to hit his shots on a pee poor summer league team. Playing with actual NBA players will make him look even better. His stroke is pure, could easily see him developing into a Steve Novak type.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
as of 5pm Monday 7/20, Kings roster now contains 15 contracts of varying lengths and guarantees. Starting to seem, at this moment in time, the 3rd PG is Stockton. Personally, I think he can help in 10-15 min a game, for now. Here is latest roster:

Attachments

If we don't bring back Miller i would look around for unsigned guys and take a flyer on someone you might strike gold there are a lot of talented guards out there.

1x6, post: 1191970, member: 37190"]I wonder if that Andre Miller guy wants to come back for 1 or 2 more..[/quote]
I wonder If Kings would pass BECAUSE of the Karl connection?

as of 5pm Monday 7/20, Kings roster now contains 15 contracts of varying lengths and guarantees. Starting to seem, at this moment in time, the 3rd PG is Stockton. Personally, I think he can help in 10-15 min a game, for now. Here is latest roster:
I do not like this roster. (Edit: I do not like this roster only becouse I got greedy, compared to the previous year this is pure gold.)
Ball handling guard is the weakest link.
It is reasonable risk we have to take that the season will sink if Cousins gets injured.
With Stockton level or Miller level 3rd guard we can kiss any hope of playoff goodbye if either Rondo or Collison miss any significant time due to injury.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I do not like this roster. (Edit: I do not like this roster only becouse I got greedy, compared to the previous year this is pure gold.)
Ball handling guard is the weakest link.
It is reasonable risk we have to take that the season will sink if Cousins gets injured.
With Stockton level or Miller level 3rd guard we can kiss any hope of playoff goodbye if either Rondo or Collison miss any significant time due to injury.
I think guard depth is one of the strengths of this roster. Rondo, Collison, McLemore, Belinelli is one of the best 4-man guard rotations in the league. A lot of teams will be in much worse shape than we are if they lose their starting PG for any length of time. A bigger guard who can initiate the offense from the wing would be nice but Gay and Butler can facilitate a little bit and so can Cousins so I don't think we're lacking for playmakers. I'm not worried about the guards at all. The biggest concern I have at this point is the depth of our frontcourt. It would have been nice to go into the season with at least one solid veteran at PF so we're not relying on two unproven rookies at the same position.

Last year Miller came in and played serious minutes at Pg due to DC injury. With Rondo and DC both healthy i think he would like a team that would sign him as the no 2 pg if he doesnt find such a team my guess he will sign for the min right as season starts

I think guard depth is one of the strengths of this roster. Rondo, Collison, McLemore, Belinelli is one of the best 4-man guard rotations in the league. A lot of teams will be in much worse shape than we are if they lose their starting PG for any length of time. A bigger guard who can initiate the offense from the wing would be nice but Gay and Butler can facilitate a little bit and so can Cousins so I don't think we're lacking for playmakers. I'm not worried about the guards at all. The biggest concern I have at this point is the depth of our frontcourt. It would have been nice to go into the season with at least one solid veteran at PF so we're not relying on two unproven rookies at the same position.
Agreed. Biggest issues to me:

Backcourt defense-if rondo can recover his d and Ben gets more consistent, we should be good. If not, we'll really need that improved interior d

Frontcourt depth-would really like one more frontcourt vet who provides a little more than d. I can't believe I just typed that.

Shooter-this depends on how much butler plays. If not much, we really need Ben to step up