Kings and free agency - part 4

dude12

Hall of Famer
A dark horse for the 3rd PG spot is Corey Hawkins. SL coaches already had mentioned Hawkins as their best offensive player. I think what they need to see is if they think he could be an actual combo guard since he was a SG in college. If the kid shows some ability as a combo guard then they could sign him and let him play in the D-League for the year to work on his PG skills.....they already know he can shoot.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
A dark horse for the 3rd PG spot is Corey Hawkins. SL coaches already had mentioned Hawkins as their best offensive player. I think what they need to see is if they think he could be an actual combo guard since he was a SG in college. If the kid shows some ability as a combo guard then they could sign him and let him play in the D-League for the year to work on his PG skills.....they already know he can shoot.
Considering Karl likes to play 2 PGs and Collison has a bit of an injury history I don't think you can afford to have an undrafted rookie as your 3rd PG. Especially one who played SG in college. That said, I am a Hawkins fan and I very much hope the team gets him into Reno to develop and hopefully down the road he can help the Kings.

If we do get another PF such as Bonner, and a PG we would have a 15 man Roster? So I really like this Idea since we only have 12 on active roster Why not use our D League to develop Moreland and a PG like Hawkins
We could leave Anderson as inactive 13th guy (not sure if his contract is even guaranteed or if he could go to D-League?)

Maybe find a d-League coach that could install a Karl type system to really develop the potential future replacements to some of our Vets in the 12 man roster that may start dropping off due to injury/retirement

Ooops sorry it is 13

So if we do get a 3rd PG like Miller then Anderson/Moreland become 14,15 ( If we bring in Bonner/Josh -yeah still hoping LOL)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are Omri and Marco going to shave when Vlade gets done with free agency too?

Never want to read too much into a picture or a couple short videos but Rondo sure looks like he's in great shape and Cuz looks like he may have slimmed down a bit more too.

The Caron Butler signing was genius in my opinion. I wanted Dorell Wright because I think he's a little better shooter with more in the tank but that's just looking solely at the on court part of things. In the locker room, during practices, during workouts, on the bench I think Butler is going to be huge for the team overall and for Cousins and McLemore specifically. Ben seems like a great kid but he still seems young, immature (not in a bad way) and naive to a certain extent. In the video from last year it seemed clear that he followed McCallum's lead despite Ray only being a year and a half older. I think he needs that mentor and Butler is as good a dude as any. Of course Bellinelli will help him in terms of working on spacing, getting his shot off etc but Caron is the kind of guy you want helping to guide Ben's development.

Watching the videos from yesterday with the interviews with Rondo, Koufos, Butler, Vlade etc just has me really excited about this season because I think the Kings are really going to surprise a lot of people. And if they do I'll take particular joy in watching to see which of the writers hammering the Kings now is the first to pretend like they predicted the turnaround.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Considering Karl likes to play 2 PGs and Collison has a bit of an injury history I don't think you can afford to have an undrafted rookie as your 3rd PG. Especially one who played SG in college. That said, I am a Hawkins fan and I very much hope the team gets him into Reno to develop and hopefully down the road he can help the Kings.
Hawkins getting hurt is killing his opportunity right now. He needs to play. I don't mind an Andre Miller signing as he's a guy you can lean on in an emergency but he should not be playing hardly any minutes for us in the regular season. Hawkins would have to show an ability in SL to actually run the point as a combo guard type or scoring point (thinking IT type guy). You can go with a guy like David Stockton and I like what he does but in reality, a guy like Hawkins currently has more upside. Then again he may get on the court and look bad.

Can a contract be devised to bring back Spanish Chocolate? A deal with low money this year, but a big increase next year when the cap goes up? Would the Kings and Sergio do that? I just think with a few years in Europe Sergio would be ready for the NBA again and would be great injury insurance. He is also a good shooter in a small lineup.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Can a contract be devised to bring back Spanish Chocolate? A deal with low money this year, but a big increase next year when the cap goes up? Would the Kings and Sergio do that? I just think with a few years in Europe Sergio would be ready for the NBA again and would be great injury insurance. He is also a good shooter in a small lineup.

Not really, but he could sign a one year or a two with player option.

OK then , so now if Bonner comes would be at vet min

and the 3rd point guard will also be min (or we keep Stockton?

Vivek getting ready to shave

Wait ... I suppose if Omri is using the cap space we may still have the Room exception to use once we get to the end of FA and see who is left out there?

Don't shave yet Vivek!!!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because at times he's made faces and gestures on the court? Yeah, the, uh, "big ones" gesture is over the top but he's far from the first or only guy to do it. In fact it's originator (in the NBA at least) is Sam Cassell and he was a great PG mentor at the end of his career. A few other guys who have done that same move (now fineable by the NBA) are Kobe Bryant, Marco Bellinelli, Finals MVP Andre Iguodala, Kevin Martin and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Caron Butler has played 13 seasons in the NBA. He was rookie of the month 4 times his first year and on the all-rookie team. He is a two time All-Star, has played in nearly 900 career games and 64 playoff games including winning a ring with Dallas. He nearly threw his life away dealing drugs as a kid before turning things around for good - maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall a single off court issue in the NBA with him. He learned the importance of proper nutrition and taking care of his body. He learned to adapt his game as he got older and couldn't rely on his physical gifts.

Being a mentor doesn't mean you're necessarily someone who has always done the right things. Often it helps if you've done a lot of the wrong things, learned from them and are able to keep other guys from going down the same roads.

EDIT: Just saw this tweet from Jason Jones:

Jason Jones ‏@mr_jasonjones 3h3 hours ago
Speaking to people in Vegas I've heard nothing but good things about how Caron Butler will help the Kings. Told he takes no BS from anyone

Last edited:
funkykingston, I don't doubt Butler's talent and achievements. However, seeing him repeatably doing douchy moves over the years always made me cringe. I don't recall another player with such a wide repertoire, at least not one that's still in the league. Hopefully you're right and there's more to it than what's visible.

Sorry if someone already posted this. I thought it was a nice moment.

I really think Omri may the key to help smooth things out between DMC and Karl.

Omri really likes Karl as the Coach and DMC and Omri really like each other.

I think that Omri the "Glue" guy can really help the healing process in the DMC-Karl relationship.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Because at times he's made faces and gestures on the court? Yeah, the, uh, "big ones" gesture is over the top but he's far from the first or only guy to do it. In fact it's originator (in the NBA at least) is Sam Cassell and he was a great PG mentor at the end of his career. A few other guys who have done that same move (now fineable by the NBA) are Kobe Bryant, Marco Bellinelli, Finals MVP Andre Iguodala, Kevin Martin and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Caron Butler has played 13 seasons in the NBA. He was rookie of the month 4 times his first year and on the all-rookie team. He is a two time All-Star, has played in nearly 900 career games and 64 playoff games including winning a ring with Dallas. He nearly threw his life away dealing drugs as a kid before turning things around for good - maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall a single off court issue in the NBA with him. He learned the importance of proper nutrition and taking care of his body. He learned to adapt his game as he got older and couldn't rely on his physical gifts.

Being a mentor doesn't mean you're necessarily someone who has always done the right things. Often it helps if you've done a lot of the wrong things, learned from them and are able to keep other guys from going down the same roads.

EDIT: Just saw this tweet from Jason Jones:

Jason Jones ‏@mr_jasonjones 3h3 hours ago
Speaking to people in Vegas I've heard nothing but good things about how Caron Butler will help the Kings. Told he takes no BS from anyone
Mike Bibby immediately comes to mind. ;)