NBA Summer League 2014 in Las Vegas

Yeah, I actually would say that. Aside from the top one percent of programs, the ones that get on TV all the time, most of amateur basketball is pretty bad. Are you, like the majority of posters here, from California? When's the last time you caught a UCSC/Mills game? How did you appreciate the quality of that one?
I'm curious as to what qualifies as "quality" basketball. Is it entertainment or quality of play? If so, half of the nba isn't quality basketball. I mean, you're a kings fan. The last few years have been anytging but quality.

IMO, march madness and conference tournaments (in any major/mid major conference) is much, much more entertaining (than the nba playoffs) with some amazing basketball plays.

I'm curious as to what qualifies as "quality" basketball. Is it entertainment or quality of play? If so, half of the nba isn't quality basketball. I mean, you're a kings fan. The last few years have been anytging but quality.

IMO, march madness and conference tournaments (in any major/mid major conference) is much, much more entertaining (than the nba playoffs) with some amazing basketball plays.
Haven't the Spurs settled this issue?

Haven't the Spurs settled this issue?
So, if you're not an nba champion and don't play a certain way, it's not quality basketball? Nice argument.

I'd argue that the spurs play more like a college team than a pro team. Unselfish, emphasis on 3's, team defense, and low turnovers over flashy plays. Sounds like I'm describing my Wolverines, actually and a bunch of other teams I can think of.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Compartmentalization. And my fandom supersedes a style of play. We were a s***ty team when I became a Kings Fan. Why would s***ty play make me stop now?

Maybe IYO, but not IMO. To me, professionals will always be more entertaining than amateurs in all sports, at all levels. I've never seen a college game that I thought was more fun or more entertaining than a pro game.

EDIT - Ah yes, I forgot, you're a Michigan Man. You will let me know about the quality you see on the court the next time you go to watch Hope play Kalamazoo, won't you?

Last edited:
Compartmentalization. And my fandom supersedes a style of play. We were a s***ty team when I became a Kings Fan. Why would s***ty play make me stop now?

Maybe IYO, but not IMO. To me, professionals will always be more entertaining than amateurs in all sports, at all levels. I've never seen a college game that I thought was more fun or more entertaining than a pro game.

EDIT - Ah yes, I forgot, you're a Michigan Man. You will let me know about the quality you see on the court the next time you go to watch Hope play Kalamazoo, won't you?
Why would I do that? I live in Sacramento.

Quality in CBB is outstanding. If you've never seen a college game that is better than the pro game, you've never watched during March Madness. Game after game, they push out drama and amazing performances.

Only time the nba playoffs are even close to rivaling March Madness is when the kings are in them or someone like lebron is getting his rear kicked and that's just because it's hilarious.

Obviously better players in the NBA, but college ball is just as good of quality. NBA summer league has some quality games but gets dragged down by the idea that it's more of an individual tryout than a game.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Meh. YMM and obviously does V. I think that there is a level of drama that is unique to college basketball and March Madness™, but it doesn't have anything to do with quality. In fact, I would make the argument that the drama associated with college basketball has everything to do with a lack of quality.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
IMHO quality basketball is team first ball, like the Spurs, and like Kings summer league team past 3 games.. Pacers, San Diego State past 3-4 years, Arizona all come to mind as well. Am sure there are more but those come to mind first.

Sharing the ball and looking for the best shot on offense. Pushing the pace up court on change of possession. Help defense, switching and talking to each other to reduce mysteries and "gotchas". These are the components of "quality" basketball.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Why would I do that? I live in Sacramento.

Quality in CBB is outstanding. If you've never seen a college game that is better than the pro game, you've never watched during March Madness. Game after game, they push out drama and amazing performances.

Only time the nba playoffs are even close to rivaling March Madness is when the kings are in them or someone like lebron is getting his rear kicked and that's just because it's hilarious.

Obviously better players in the NBA, but college ball is just as good of quality. NBA summer league has some quality games but gets dragged down by the idea that it's more of an individual tryout than a game.
Are some March Madness games incredible? Oh hell yes. But better than most NBA playoff games? Um, no. Are some NBA playoff games painful to watch? Yep. But are they worse than all the March Madness games? Oh hell no.

The players on the court may be playing the same game technically, but March Madness is win or go home. Every single game is a game 7. That puts them in a whole different perspective. NBA playoffs require different strategies for a variety of reasons, but primarily because you have to face the same team multiple times and still find different ways to be competitive. There's more strategy involved as the coaches work endlessly to find a way ti counter whatever the other coach has put on the court.

This year's NBA playoffs showcased some incredible games. They played the "same" game but at a totally different level. That, for those of us who love all levels of the game, made them every bit as watchable as March Madness, It truly doesn't have to be one or another.

Are some March Madness games incredible? Oh hell yes. But better than most NBA playoff games? Um, no. Are some NBA playoff games painful to watch? Yep. But are they worse than all the March Madness games? Oh hell no.

The players on the court may be playing the same game technically, but March Madness is win or go home. Every single game is a game 7. That puts them in a whole different perspective. NBA playoffs require different strategies for a variety of reasons, but primarily because you have to face the same team multiple times and still find different ways to be competitive. There's more strategy involved as the coaches work endlessly to find a way ti counter whatever the other coach has put on the court.

This year's NBA playoffs showcased some incredible games. They played the "same" game but at a totally different level. That, for those of us who love all levels of the game, made them every bit as watchable as March Madness, It truly doesn't have to be one or another.
Oh, I agree. I just disagree with the idea that cbb isn't quality basketball. Definitely some good playoff games this year, but it seems the trend is exchanging blowouts until someone wins 4 games. It gets boring when your team isn't in it.

1980's and 1990's nba playoffs were much, much more entertaining.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
And that's cool; I'm not super interested in changing your mind. I'll just say that "dramatic" and "entertaining" are not synonyms for "quality."

I'd also add that, IMO, college basketball is also quite boring, if your school isn't "in it."