2014 Draft Prospects:

My bad, I meant to write Jokic not Nurkic. Hey, they all sound alike. As it turns out, Jokic withdrew his name, and then at the last moment, re-entered the draft. So it was much ado about nothing. My humble apologies.

Damnit, I don't want to like Saric, but I'm starting to. He dominated the playoffs he was just in, like to see his improvement over the last couple seasons.

Not a great fit for this current team, but he may be the best player available at 7-8.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article...is-4488#ooid=Q2a2xtbTrgHWSYwToZ4az5AV-X1etOM5
I'm starting to lean that way as well. That second tier of guys just doesn't strike me as having game changers. You're looking for a Nic Batum or Omar Asik level player out of that group. While I would prefer to find a defensive stopper, a point forward with some range on his jumper isn't an awful way to go either. Give him a year to come off the bench and add some bulk and you have two highly skilled players in the frontcourt.

After reading other teams newspapers, and listening to p0dcasts on so many different subjects that my mind feels like scrambled eggs, I come to the conclusion that there are four players that the Kings have interest in that make sense at where their picking. So I think they will choose one of these players baring one of the elite players sliding down for some reason. They are in no particular order.

Doug McDermott: 6'8", SF/PF. Probably will play SF in the NBA, but do some spot duty in the right matchup at PF.
Nik Stauskas: 6'6", SG/PG/SF. Really more of a SG, but has the size to fill in at SF on occasion, and at PG on occasion.
Aaron Gordon: 6'9", PF/SF. Will probably be a PF in the NBA. Could still be growing. Terrific athlete.
Elfrid Payton: 6'4", PG. Pass first PG and terrific athlete who plays defense.

Now of course this could all change via trade, either up or down, or out of the draft all together. Someone could slide like they do every year, like Randle, at which all bets are off. But if everything remains the same, I think one of those four players will be a Sacramento King. The gray area for me are the european players like Saric etc. I suspose that one of them could also be the choice. But at the moment, I'll put my money on the four I mentioned. They all bring something special to the table and that's about all you can ask for at the eight spot.

I agree with everything you say. Emphasis for me though, is on the IF we are willing to trade McLemore. I have nothing against Stauskas, I actually like him as a prospect. Not crazy on him, but I like him. He's a true shooter who has legit skills, and deceptive athleticism, offensively. The reason I find it hard to believe it is simply because of Ben. Everything I read/hear is that the FO loves Ben. I can't imagine they give up on him this early. That's my reservation about the info. As for Stauskas, don't dislike him as a prospect. Don't LOVE him, but can see what he has to offer. Personally I'd rather we get someone who is a proven defensive player, but who knows. Would like him but only makes sense, IMO of course, if we move Ben. That's all. Nothing against Nik Per Se. As it is, I think Randle is going to drop to us. Not the best fit, but God damn, take him at 8 and go home happy. He's not T-Rob. This is a hugely talented physical beast who is highly skilled offensively.
Not my first choice, but if Embiid/Parker/Wiggins/Exum/Smart/Vonleh/Gordon go top 7, I think you have to take Randle. He's being seriously under-rated here.
So would you give up on Ben for Thaddeus Young? Switch picks with 76ers, get Stauskas and Young.

I'm still keeping my eye on young vets Kings could get in a trade: Schroder and Young are two possibilities. You may end up seeing a player like Gordon or Randle fall to #8, in which case the Kings could have something other teams really want, thereby leading to a trade.

So would you give up on Ben for Thaddeus Young? Switch picks with 76ers, get Stauskas and Young.
Would I do Ben + 8 for Young and 10? Yep. Though maybe not if we expect Gay to be back. But if we knew Gay was leaving, it'd be a good way to replace Gay and possibly upgrade the SG position as well.

It's just a shame that we won't know for sure what will happen with Gay and IT before the draft.

Just checking your math here but...

white person + shooting = Jimmer?
I appreciate that these types of comparisons are usually stupid and based on what you're suggesting. In this case, however, it's a solid comparison. Obviously they both play different positions, but they face very similar problems. Both are unathletic, don't have a position, struggle hugely defensively. Their transferable skill is shooting, but it remains to be seen whether they'll be able to create for themselves at the next level (Jimmer can't, I doubt McDermott can). Both four year seniors.

Every year people get sucked into liking prospects like these because they're great college scorers. Making it in the NBA is about much more than that. I'll scream if we take McDermott.

DX did a nice video about Stauskas VS G. Harris check it out.

Just watched the video.....I'd much rather have Sac sign a cheap but good vet to help at SG or trade JT or DWill for same priced vet. Stauskus has a nice skill set but I think he's going to be a defensive liability and I don't think whatever offense he can provide will make up for that....I'd rather get a vet who is proven.

Just watched the video.....I'd much rather have Sac sign a cheap but good vet to help at SG or trade JT or DWill for same priced vet. Stauskus has a nice skill set but I think he's going to be a defensive liability and I don't think whatever offense he can provide will make up for that....I'd rather get a vet who is proven.
Well we have Jason Terry on the roster but it remains to be seen what he can bring to the table at this stage of his career if he even returns at all. There are so many variables this off-season it's difficult to commit oneself to any individual prospect.

I appreciate that these types of comparisons are usually stupid and based on what you're suggesting. In this case, however, it's a solid comparison. Obviously they both play different positions, but they face very similar problems. Both are unathletic, don't have a position, struggle hugely defensively. Their transferable skill is shooting, but it remains to be seen whether they'll be able to create for themselves at the next level (Jimmer can't, I doubt McDermott can). Both four year seniors.

Every year people get sucked into liking prospects like these because they're great college scorers. Making it in the NBA is about much more than that. I'll scream if we take McDermott.
I can't help but think that Larry Bird was slow and not very athletic. So, with those characteristics, some make it and some don't. I'm against burning bridges.

I can't help but think that Larry Bird was slow and not very athletic. So, with those characteristics, some make it and some don't. I'm against burning bridges.
Obviously it's not all about athleticism. McDermott falls short at multiple aspects of the game though. BTW, Larry wasn't a bad athlete and played in a very different era.

The league has changed quite a bit in the last 30 years. Nowitzki is the only real star player I can think of since Bird's time who didn't hit athletic markers, and he has the benefit of being a 7 footer.

That's not saying that McDermott couldn't be a good player. But the odds are against it.

Would I do Ben + 8 for Young and 10? Yep. Though maybe not if we expect Gay to be back. But if we knew Gay was leaving, it'd be a good way to replace Gay and possibly upgrade the SG position as well.

It's just a shame that we won't know for sure what will happen with Gay and IT before the draft.
Everything I'm hearing through the media is that Gay has a very good relationship with Malone and the Kings. I've got to think that by the time Draft Day he will give the Kings some certainty on whether he will be there or not, just out of simple curtesy.

Well we have Jason Terry on the roster but it remains to be seen what he can bring to the table at this stage of his career if he even returns at all. There are so many variables this off-season it's difficult to commit oneself to any individual prospect.
Terry from a few years ago would be great to have. I wish he would have played a bit last year with Sac so that he could establish he's got something left in the tank for a playoff team. Having a steady vet on a deep playoff bench would have some value to someone...maybe a 2 nd round pick worth of value

Doesn't play like Jimmer at all much more multi faceted. Doesn't mean he'll have any more success, but that much is undeniable.
How is he much more multi-faceted? Jimmer was a stud offensive prospect coming out of college... same as McD. Jimmer's problems were athleticism, size, and his inability to defend a position in the nba. Does McD not have all of those same concerns?