• Turnovers/inability to handle pressure

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Complete no shows by half the roster

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Coaching

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted the zebras and I almost never blame the refs for a loss. But this one...?
It was clear that the 76ers had zero shot of stopping Cousins and the refs basically tossed him out of the game with 2 ridiculous phantom calls. They decided then and there that they weren't going to let Cousins lead the Kings team to a win.
If he had committed fouls and it was one of those situations that they may-or-may-not call, then I'd understand. But those back-to-back calls cost us the game.

Cousins was a beast, refs took him out of the game because the 6ers had no chance of stopping him

Jimmer was awful for the most part, but people will forget about that because of his hot streak in the 4th

Everyone else was even more awful

Thomas was in full hero ball mode for most of the game. trying to do WAY too much
If the first negative thing that comes to your mind about this game was Jimmer's play, you have a serious hate issue going on.

Yeah Cousins actually impacts the game more than the numbers suggest and the numbers are, beastly, I wonder why the team made no effort to get Kendal Marshall or Dj Augustine after the trade if we had no intention of playing Ray MAc
I agree on Kendall Marshall. I remember one time against the kings he put up like 10 ast while finding people left and right. I really thought he could actually quite be the PG of the Suns... but after trades and the draft, they just had way too many pgs on that team. I think he would thrive with us. He actually tore it against the D-League which is better talent than college.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Jimmer delivered alright, 15 points in 16 min. , while Williams had 11 points in under 20 min. of play.
It was a unimpressive 11 points he does not mentally look like the same guy who played with passion when he first came and was quickly becoming a fan favourite, he's looking like a bigger Marcus Thornton since the Gay trade.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Malone really did a terrible in this game.

First, he should have called 49er-right-on-one. Substitute Gray for IT. JT lines up at left tackle; Gray as left guard, Rudy as center, Acy as right tackle, Cousins as quarterback in the shotgun. On "one", Gray pulls to the right and cleans Orton's clock; Acy chop blocks Hawes, Rudy hikes the ball to Cousins who finds any remaining Sixer and barrells into them going maximum speed.

Barring the above, if the team you face presses you, what should pop immediately into your mind as the response? ANSWER: Press THEM. The Sixers aren't exactly filled with a plethora of nifty ballhandlers. MCW had trouble with the Jimmers of college bring the ball up the floor; he certainly would have trouble with an NBA press.

Second. If the team you face is being very physical and getting the calls from the refs, what should you do? ANSWER: Make the game EVEN MORE physical. What happens when games get extremely physical? Even bad refs have an epiphany and say to themselves: Well, I guess I sorta have to get this game under control; I guess I better like have to call some fouls. Malone should have left Gray in the game, told him to lay some people out with screens and accidentally on purpose run into Hawes and Orton and whoever else came into his line of vision until he ran out of his six fouls.

Also, I'm sick and tired of Malone playing the Mother Teresa Cousin's protector role. Stop it! It's like a habit now: Cousins gets 2 fouls within the first 5 minutes; Malone keeps him out the rest of the half. Cousins gets a couple of more fouls; out goes Cousins; Malone doesn't bring him and the starters back until 5 Minutes left in the game?

Also, on Jimmer, this is what I heard from Kayte on the postgame. Jimmer gets hot. Makes a lot of shots; things are looking good; Jimmer misses one shot. What does Jimmer do then? He looks over to Malone on the bench with a face that said, "Sorry coach, I let you down." Ugh. From then on out Jimmer went downhill. Malone should have taken him out right there and then. You can't have that kind of attitude if you're out there trying to win the game.

Entity

Hall of Famer
It was a unimpressive 11 points he does not mentally look like the same guy who played with passion when he first came and was quickly becoming a fan favourite, he's looking like a bigger Marcus Thornton since the Gay trade.
I felt like after that run when Jimmer hit the 10 pt streak and we pulled to within 5. thats when the starters should have came back. but he let it get back to 11 before that happened

I have to think we were intentionally trying to show off some of our players for a possible trade (Andre Miller or other?). I can't think of another reason for Rudy being on the bench for that long. I mean.. as a coach you have Outlaw, Williams, Acy, and 2 ineffective SGs on the court at some point or another, and not once do you look at the bench and just see a star SF sitting there waiting to get back in? We aren't asking you to be a miracle worker coach Malone, just sensible and realistic!

The problem is that when IT goes out so do Cousins and Gay. They didn't tonight and Jimmer was +3 in the first half. Jimmer is fine as a backup point gaurd. He just needs to play with either Gay or Cousins. Preferable Cousins.
Jimmer is fine as the backup point gaurd (?) just like Spencer Hawes is fine as Representative for Sacramento...

I have to think we were intentionally trying to show off some of our players for a possible trade (Andre Miller or other?). I can't think of another reason for Rudy being on the bench for that long. I mean.. as a coach you have Outlaw, Williams, Acy, and 2 ineffective SGs on the court at some point or another, and not once do you look at the bench and just see a star SF sitting there waiting to get back in? We aren't asking you to be a miracle worker coach Malone, just sensible and realistic!
Malones job is not to win games, it's to change the culture. I'm really not seeing much culture change though.

The fact that defense was the culprit last night and that so many people can't see it is very discouraging.
The officiating was about as bad as we have seen this year. They did not control the game, and it could have become even more physical. They got a lot of collisions wrong, which is dangerous. But you can never blame the outcome of the game on the officiating. Bad officiating is part of the game at all levels, even the NBA.

Last edited:
I felt like after that run when Jimmer hit the 10 pt streak and we pulled to within 5. thats when the starters should have came back. but he let it get back to 11 before that happened
Malone's rotations in the second half are horrible. No way Gay (or Cousins, IT) should sit out half of the 4th Q. Malone gets fooled into his "energy" guys are playing well enough that he lets his starters rot until it's too late. Fortunately, most of the time Jimmer is so bad he doesn't get an extended run like last night. I still like Malone overall, but not liking some of his rotation choices in the second half of games.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
That said, the sequence of fouls on the offensive/defensive end against Cousins was horrendous. I'm not a fan of conspiracies, because I agree with the sentiment that teams are more responsible for the outcome, and I always coach my team to not let the refs decide the outcome, BUT, Cousins sure looked like a targeted player last night.

The fact that defense was the culprit last night and that so many people can't see it is very discouraging.
The officiating was about as bad as we have seen this year. They did not control the game, and it could have become even more physical. The got a lot of collisions wrong, which is dangerous. But you can never blame the outcome of the game on the officiating. Bad officiating is part of the game at all levels, even the NBA.
Ditto! Kings had 27 fouls called against them to 31 called against 76ers. Yes, officiating was bad last night but it cut both ways. I've said it a zillion times - constantly blaming refs for a loss is total loser mentality.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Ditto! Kings had 27 fouls called against them to 31 called against 76ers. Yes, officiating was bad last night but it cut both ways. I've said it a zillion times - constantly blaming refs for a loss is total loser mentality.
it might cut both ways but, when one cut is spencer hawes and the other is Demarcus Cousins. I'd say the Cousins cut is deeper.

it might cut both ways but, when one cut is spencer hawes and the other is Demarcus Cousins. I'd say the Cousins cut is deeper.
Hawes fouled out. After the game Cousins did not mention refs at all. He took responsibility blaming himself for the loss saying he "did not get my guys up for the challenge" - not exact quote. I love Big Cuz growing maturity and taking leadership role as the team captain.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hawes fouled out. After the game Cousins did not mention refs at all. He took responsibility blaming himself for the loss saying he "did not get my guys up for the challenge" - not exact quote. I love Big Cuz growing maturity and taking leadership role as the team captain.
no doubt

Turnovers. 23 turnovers leading to 27 points. There's your ballgame. Demarcus led the team with 5, but I got the feeling that the Sixers took a page out of the Seahawks playbook, essentially hack away because the refs can't call *all* of the fouls. But the interesting culprits on the turnover front are Ben McLemore and JT. While at first glance, 2 TOs each may not seem like much, but when you are handling the ball as little as Ben and JT do, there's just no excuse for those TOs. Those are glaring to me as spots we absolutely need to upgrade because we are not getting anything there, either offensively or defensively.

The bench was pretty atrocious as well for most of the game, save for a hot streak in the fourth quarter. Outlaw and Thornton in particular stood out as being net negatives both offensively and defensively. Acy was terrible offensively, and tried defensively but he's not a rim protector.

Also, I thought Rudy was greatly underused. I didn't like the lineup that had Isaiah plus four bench players. That might work when you have Landry back who can score in the post, but until then you need to have either Rudy or Cousins in the game at all times to avoid becoming a jumpshot-only team. I thought Malone should have kept Rudy in the game with Isaiah for the entire first/third quarter so that there is some semblance of post play when Cousins goes to the bench. You can give Isaiah and Rudy a rest at the same time with Cousins out there alone surrounded by bench shooters to start the second/fourth, but either Rudy or Cousins needs to be in the game at all times. Your best player can be productive even with all benchers, but give your second best player offensive support with your third best player.

And yet, this is still a bad team. Every single player at least needs to be able to play one side of the ball. Today we got four guys who were nothing on either side of the ball. So while Rudy, Isaiah, Jimmer, and DWill got drubbed defensively pretty badly, at least they were giving you something on the other end. But when you have McLemore, Thornton, Outlaw and Acy who are giving you zero on either side of the ball, its just lost minutes and a guaranteed minus for that time. This team wont' be good until there is some serious housecleaning of the roster from all of the riffraff and players are brought in who can contribute defensively while taking few shots on offense.

Malone's rotations in the second half are horrible. No way Gay (or Cousins, IT) should sit out half of the 4th Q. Malone gets fooled into his "energy" guys are playing well enough that he lets his starters rot until it's too late. Fortunately, most of the time Jimmer is so bad he doesn't get an extended run like last night. I still like Malone overall, but not liking some of his rotation choices in the second half of games.
The run ended because Cuz had to take a trip back to the bench (to cool off). It all fell apart after that. He needs to keep himself out there. (and this isn't a bash Cuz post... the Refs straight up blew it).

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Turnovers. 23 turnovers leading to 27 points. There's your ballgame. Demarcus led the team with 5, but I got the feeling that the Sixers took a page out of the Seahawks playbook, essentially hack away because the refs can't call *all* of the fouls. But the interesting culprits on the turnover front are Ben McLemore and JT. While at first glance, 2 TOs each may not seem like much, but when you are handling the ball as little as Ben and JT do, there's just no excuse for those TOs. Those are glaring to me as spots we absolutely need to upgrade because we are not getting anything there, either offensively or defensively.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Great minds. :)